DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

So the Nations health is our top priority until it isn't....so the NHS is our top priority......so the Nations pubs are our top priority...so the Nations education is our top priority........but will any of them have any real standards to uphold?

...another week and another Covid cock-up with The Scots complaining (and the English soon to follow) about the estimated exam results, and the government `buckling` straight away.....do we uphold any real standards now or are they at the whim of public opinion?...

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Done. Yawk to do engineering. Her first choice missed out on getting her 10 grand a year +accomodation fees as they had a severe attack of dithering.

We are going to get very fed up of the moaning about this in the next 48 hours. My understanding is that if the teachers' forecasts were taken at face value, there would be 12% grade inflation wh

Quite. I fear my daughter, who is a quiet exam-peaking nerd wanting to do a boring subject (engineering) at a boring university will have been sacrificed by the school to 'protect' the grades of

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Just give everyone an a Grade. May as well. It's been a stressful time.

Then university cam admit based on other things. Like what you've done with the last six months.

We could have a university entrance lottery. That would be the “equity” solution.

2 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Quite.

I fear my daughter, who is a quiet exam-peaking nerd going wanting to do a boring subject (engineering) at a boring university will have been sacrificed by the school to 'protect' the grades of those going to Oxbridge and doing medicine etc. We have feared this for some time because despite having about a dozen grade 8-9s at GCSE they werepredicting her such poor grades she couldnt even get an offer from a decent engeineering department.

Fuck the teachers to hell and the politicians who were too incompetent to prioritise and organise exams.

She did do her grade 8 clarinet though, remotely, and got a merit. Because the music boards buckled down and got on with working out how to run their exams with social distancing. Just goes to show that the exams could have been run if there had been the political and teacher will.

My younger son did his Guitar Grade 4 with Trinity during lockdown. They really did sort their process out in a very short space of time. 

3 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

My younger son did his Guitar Grade 4 with Trinity during lockdown. They really did sort their process out in a very short space of time. 

Someone ought to be asking awkward questions as to why the schools and general exam boards coudlnt organise anything when the music exam boards all did. Unfortunately, as the people who should be answering them are the PM, Wee Krankie, their faceless education secretaries as well as the teachers, Im not holding my breath.

3 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Someone ought to be asking awkward questions as to why the schools and general exam boards coudlnt organise anything when the music exam boards all did. Unfortunately, as the people who should be answering them are the PM, Wee Krankie, their faceless education secretaries as well as the teachers, Im not holding my breath.

You need to remember that most teachers had already walked out of school for spurious health reasons, which is why they had to close the schools in the first place.

Hard to run exams when the teachers won't turn up.

2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

You need to remember that most teachers had already walked out of school for spurious health reasons, which is why they had to close the schools in the first place.

You, me and all the other engaged parents would have happily been coopted as invigilators I reckon. Id have happily sat there for your kid on the understanding that you would have sat there for mine.

Its not like I will be doing anything better with my anual leave this year, to say nothing of those on furlow with all day to kill.

It came down to a total failure of vision, will and leadership.

Edited by Melchett
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

I would have thought they would have been more dedicated. Weren't the schools ordered to shut by the government though?

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I would have thought they would have been more dedicated. Weren't the schools ordered to shut by the government though?

In the end, yes. Because they were left with no choice by the teachers and parents clamouring for them to be shut.

At the time, .gov were following public opinion, not forming it.

4 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Most teachers are fucking useless and only ended up as teachers they could not get a grad job doing something else 

It is time to move to completely private education paid for by parents, of course the taxes should drop to enable that but the quality of education would go up 

2 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

Most teachers are fucking useless and only ended up as teachers they could not get a grad job doing something else 

It is time to move to completely private education paid for by parents, of course the taxes should drop to enable that but the quality of education would go up 

I'm not sure they are all useless, but it's a few years since I left school.

One chap I know failed his degree so taught at a minor public school, where few qualifications were required.

Just now, MrPin said:

I'm not sure they are all useless, but it's a few years since I left school.

One chap I know failed his degree so taught at a minor public school, where few qualifications were required.

Maybe I am biased as I was totally written off at school by teachers. It was only my parents encouraging me and getting additional tuition that allowed me to progress and excel eventually.

Most teachers I know despite claiming to be hardworking are not. it is like nurses if they are so rushed off their feet way are most of them still fat

3 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

Maybe I am biased as I was totally written off at school by teachers.

Some don't get on with school, and do stuff later.

I di my A levels via evening classes, which were then highly subsidised. I'll bet they cost a fortune now.

Edited by MrPin
55 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

We are going to get very fed up of the moaning about this in the next 48 hours.

My understanding is that if the teachers' forecasts were taken at face value, there would be 12% grade inflation which is clearly stupid.

It also demonstrates how commercially naive teachers are.

The golden rule is if you are going to invent some numbers, make them plausible.

If I was a Headteacher, I would have started off by giving everyone their predicted grades, and compared that against last year. They would be unbelievable.

I would have then looked at all those with unconditional university offers, and knocked them down a grade. I would also have knocked a grade off all those that had exceeded their offers. That would hopefully have allowed me to upgrade any student that didn't quite get the grades they needed for their University.

With some careful juggling I am sure I could have come up with a set of grades that ensured every pupil got the grades they needed, but that didn't raise any alert flags if the school was looked at as a whole.

The difference between you and a headteacher is that you have to do real world things to earn a living whereas the headteacher doesn't.

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

We are going to get very fed up of the moaning about this in the next 48 hours.

My understanding is that if the teachers' forecasts were taken at face value, there would be 12% grade inflation which is clearly stupid.

It also demonstrates how commercially naive teachers are.

The golden rule is if you are going to invent some numbers, make them plausible.

If I was a Headteacher, I would have started off by giving everyone their predicted grades, and compared that against last year. They would be unbelievable.

I would have then looked at all those with unconditional university offers, and knocked them down a grade. I would also have knocked a grade off all those that had exceeded their offers. That would hopefully have allowed me to upgrade any student that didn't quite get the grades they needed for their University.

With some careful juggling I am sure I could have come up with a set of grades that ensured every pupil got the grades they needed, but that didn't raise any alert flags if the school was looked at as a whole.

When I saw the SQA comments last week my comments were exactly the same. Everyone needed a feedback loop back to schools saying your results are x% too high, could you correct them before we mark them down...

Edited by eek
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

Watched TV, and stuffed up on half price McD?

That child can go to Durham.

I'm sure some have done nice things. But you're right to point out that many children will not have done very much with the last six months - through either lack of support from parents, schools, or just not actually having a clue about what they should be doing. Any family with a vulnerable person in is probably not going to have done as many supportive external things as others. 
Maybe the lottery idea is best. And do that every year. Fuck it.Don't even let them pick the courses.

List degrees by those needed. Allocate the numbers needed through a bit of guestimating and then pick the students out of a hat. Most won't get to go to uni but as it's a waste of time for a lot of people then that's fine.