DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sellafield alert

Fucking pussies. It will be a little bottle, containing a few litres, in a laboratory cupboard and the health 'n' safety fascists will have over reacted, excuse the pun in a massive ass-covering exercise.

Probably exactly the same as school chemistry lab storage cupboards up and down the land.

28 minutes ago, One percent said:

Don’t you mean windscale?  Oh, wait, they changed the name after the radioactive leak into the Irish sea.  o.O

It was the reactor fire in 1957 or early 1958 that instigated the name change.

My late mother was expecting me when it happened and we lived a mile or so away from the place. I was born March 58 at home but was taken into hospital immediately after birth for a few days. She didn’t ever find out what, if anything was wrong. :S

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2007/apr/18/energy.nuclearindustry

I once took my kids to Sellafield as part of a day out. They enjoyed it.

Wish I had kept a pack of their freebie chewing gum. I've seen it used as a joke display. A turkey dish and matching cat proof glass cover, small blue lights around the rim for effect and the gum in the middle. Along with a low level buzzing audio, it had an eerie effect.

22 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

My late mother was expecting me when it happened and we lived a mile or so away from the place. I was born March 58 at home but was taken into hospital immediately after birth for a few days. She didn’t ever find out what, if anything was wrong. :S

Air cooled graphite core nuclear reactor.  What could possibly go wrong..?

25 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

A ready-made "switched-at-birth" narrative. I could have done with one of those.

Edited by Lightly Toasted
1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Not quite what you think

Daily Mail: Bomb disposal team are called to Sellafield nuclear site after explosive chemical organic peroxide was discovered during routine inspection.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8627493/Bomb-disposal-team-called-Sellafield-nuclear-site-explosive-chemical-discovered.html

Quite regular for explosive peroxides to form in Ethers.

Most the common ones are inhibited to avoid such build ups, EDTA and BHT are common ones.

This will be white deposits in solvent bottles/drums.

Just give em a shake, if you still have an even number of arms afterwards then you were being a big girls blouse.

33 minutes ago, dgul said:

Air cooled graphite core nuclear reactor.  What could possibly go wrong..?

In the early days weren't they just shoving the spent fuel out of the back with the new stuff and then just forgetting about it?

2 minutes ago, eight said:

In the early days weren't they just shoving the spent fuel out of the back with the new stuff and then just forgetting about it?

The operating principle was that inserting a new fuel canister would shove a spent canister out the back (first in, first out).

Most of the time they got caught in a water trough and thus wouldn't catch fire.

12 minutes ago, eight said:

Not at all, the whole purpose of the pile was to manufacture Plutonium, this was formed inside the fuel cans which were as you say pushed out of the back of the pile as new ones were shoved into the front.

The spent cans were collected and ultimately reprocessed to chemically extract the Plutonium - my first job was at Sellafield, and for a brief spell I worked in the Magnox reprocessing plant which used a bit of the original building where chemical separation for the plutonium used to take place.... it was fascinating.

The magnox reprocessing plant used the other Pile Chimney (the one that did not catch fire) as an exhaust stack for in-cell air. I believe that a new system has been installed to allow them to knock down that Pile chimney

Edited by Bornagain
11 hours ago, Bornagain said:

Not at all, the whole purpose of the pile was to manufacture Plutonium, this was formed inside the fuel cans which were as you say pushed out of the back of the pile as new ones were shoved into the front.

The spent cans were collected and ultimately reprocessed to chemically extract the Plutonium - my first job was at Sellafield, 

I’ve visited, and stood on top of the pile cap, as you say, the whole point was plutonium production.

Fortunately, during construction, John Cockcroft - the director of AERE -  insisted that filters be retrofitted to the pile’s cooling chimney stacks, leading to their top-heavy appearance.

Known as “Cockcroft’s Follies”, until the fire, anyway.

image.jpeg.8aba869b9ac21a1d086765acdd96f725.jpeg

Edited by Transistor Man
13 minutes ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

Sellafield was one of my customers.

I asked my contact how many vehicles they had in their fleet, as our records were out of date. No idea, came the reply.

I was tempted to ask her how much plutonium they had, but was scared of the potential answer.

I drove home really quickly after that meeting.

In my time at  Sellafield the brains were all associated with the plant, equipment and chemistry and production

The bullshitters were associated with Project Management.

The thickies were associated with domestic arrangements.

Vehicle leases are domestic arrangements.