DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Why do some love it and some hate it?

Please tell :)

I was skinny small clumsy kid in the school, the last to be picked on for any school "team".

I gained 2 stone after I became a mum 12 years ago. 

I tried to find an activity to counter that but failed and instead supported MrJ'O and our child in their activities aka I was the driver

They are both fit and athletic.

A couple of days back ...I actually  felt good after less than an hours cycling

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still recall the sullen and resentful comments of 'you must have cheated somehow' when my class got back from a cross country run aged about 14 to find Id already finished and was showered and chang

Hunter / gatherer and all that... you were built for hard exercise. Your body and mind recognise it as a contribution, an achievement. You are now more capable, have a higher social standing, able to

Ah but, in my opinion, you’re taking the slow lane and not wearing yourself out in life activities. A lot of the folks around my town who were big runners really pushing themselves are now crippl

Posted Images

I think it helps if you find an activity that you enjoy.

I was crap at most school team sports and was last to be picked the same as you.

I was not bad at athletics as I was a not bad all rounder. I then discovered basketball thanks to an American exchange teacher, and started climbing with a group of friends just as I left school. Then a bit of martial arts and a few other things.

I swim now, or did, just for fitness, as it is the one thing I can still do to maintain fitness as anything else and my knackered discs won't stand up to it.

I find it boring, but the benefits are worth it. 

I've never viewd any physical activity that I enjoy as exercise. That has included field hockey, cricket, badminton, squash, tennis, table tennis, and  now includes hiking, swimming, horse riding.

Exercise is something I'd rather not be doing because I don't get pleasure from it, that has included daily running and now includes rowing and cycling.

I used to get shin splints quite badly as a kid, so I hated sports because everything was basically some sort of running.

Then in high school I got into mountain biking, really enjoyed that, got really fit, wanted to compete, but parents were unsupportive. By the time I could afford a decent bike I was getting into cars and had lost interest. Been trying to get into it again, but at 40+ there's no way i'll ever be as fit as I was at 18.

I agree with the others that have said it has to be something you enjoy.  But equally, don't expect to enjoy it every single time.  Everyone has good days and shit days at work or with family or whatever and it's the same with exercise.  When I ride my bike some days it can be like I am flying and it's effortless and I couldn't imagine being happier doing anything else.  Other days its seems like the stupidest idea ever and I can't wait to get home and get off.

Dr Steve Peters says that people always talk about "motivation" when it comes to exercise, but they are better to  think of "commitment.  Being committed on the days you don't want to do it is the key to enjoying the days when you do want to do it.

A lot of people just do it for "the results" as well.  That is always doomed to failure.  There's got to be something in it for you whilst you are doing it, not just when it's done.  Otherwise it's just too hard.

2 hours ago, JackieO said:

Why do some love it and some hate it?

Please tell :)

I was skinny small clumsy kid in the school, the last to be picked on for any school "team".

I gained 2 stone after I became a mum 12 years ago. 

I tried to find an activity to counter that but failed and instead supported MrJ'O and our child in their activities aka I was the driver

They are both fit and athletic.

A couple of days back ...I actually  felt good after less than an hours cycling

Swimming and cycling are great forms of exercises 

To answer you question of why some like it and others don`t is IMO quite simple  ,it fecking hurts at first it`s not enjoyable at that point  if you over come that part it then becomes enjoyable ,and if you are doing to lose weight as soon as you relies it`s working it gives you even more of an incentive

It really is all about getting over the first part and the most important part is to build up slowly  

Pretty crucial for me. I've always kept myself fit and generally feel terrible if I've let things slide because of work pressures etc.

Keeping fit of course could easily mean chopping wood, trimming a hedge and the like. Doesn't have to be a sporting activity. 

Quick half hour today on the indoor bike and then some pilates type moves. I stretch every evening as well to keep my troublesome left hip area nice and loose.

Now I'm in my 50's I've cut back on sports like squash but will still happily ski and will go back to mountain biking when we move back into rural parts. Intend to get in a lot more hiking as well in the future.

Healthy body = healthy mind in my book.

I also think school often ruins exercise for a lot of people just as it ruins literature, playing a musical instrument etc.  School sport is often team-based and focussed on hand-to-eye co-ordination sports.  And kids physically mature at different ages which makes it even more unfair and mentally scarring.

Hunter / gatherer and all that... you were built for hard exercise. Your body and mind recognise it as a contribution, an achievement. You are now more capable, have a higher social standing, able to provide.

We didn’t evolve to sit on a SCS sofa for 4 hours each night eating Pringles, and watching Gogglebox.

10 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I also think school often ruins exercise for a lot of people just as it ruins literature, playing a musical instrument etc.  School sport is often team-based and focussed on hand-to-eye co-ordination sports.  And kids physically mature at different ages which makes it even more unfair and mentally scarring.

When I was at school I wasn't even in the first football team yet I ended up playing at quite a high level. I'd bet in that regard I was ultimately the highest achiever in my year group.

6 minutes ago, Rowley said:

Hunter / gatherer and all that... you were built for hard exercise. Your body and mind recognise it as a contribution, an achievement. You are now more capable, have a higher social standing, able to provide.

We didn’t evolve to sit on a SCS sofa for 4 hours each night eating Pringles, and watching Gogglebox.

No we didn't, but we are evolving that way now! Give it a few hundred years and humans be like in Wall-e (but fatter!) :

0*p6JIDL6s5mWnqxaK

13 hours ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

I think it helps if you find an activity that you enjoy.

I was crap at most school team sports and was last to be picked the same as you.

I was not bad at athletics as I was a not bad all rounder. I then discovered basketball thanks to an American exchange teacher, and started climbing with a group of friends just as I left school. Then a bit of martial arts and a few other things.

I swim now, or did, just for fitness, as it is the one thing I can still do to maintain fitness as anything else and my knackered discs won't stand up to it.

I find it boring, but the benefits are worth it. 

This. Absolutely. School sports tend to be very rigid and limited. And this puts a lot of people off for life.

Growing up I have repeatedly told my daughters that it doesnt matter what physical exercise they do, just find something they enjoy enough that they keep doing it.

I was very fit in my early 20s by doing a lot of running, did the London Marathon a couple of times. At the time I found running psychologically beneficial too as I could really think clearly about things while on a long run which I might not otherwise be able to do..

Then I got into mountain biking and haven't stopped since. This is as much a social thing as fitness as I go out with a group of mates once or twice a week, year round, whatever the weather for a 2-3 hour off road ride ending up at the pub.

22 minutes ago, eight said:

When I was at school I wasn't even in the first football team yet I ended up playing at quite a high level. I'd bet in that regard I was ultimately the highest achiever in my year group.

One our school football team played in Division One( then the premiership) and won his first full team appearance at 16. I could beat him at cuppy  ( one on one elimination scoring into a goal). Not as good as him in a  team tbf, hopeless first touch. Funnily enough a few years back I went to a 21st birthday and all the younguns and me in my forties had a game of cuppy...I won, that probably went down like a lead balloon. But I have got fiitter and stronger as I age ( even now 56). I'd love to give 90 minutes a go and reckon I wouldn't get winded like I did when I was a lazy kid.

The idiot Government have got walk football down for the over fifties.

Edited by crashmonitor
4 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

One our school football team played in Division One( then the premiership) and won his first full team appearance at 16. I could beat him at cuppy  ( one on one elimination scoring into a goal). Not as good as him in a  team tbf, hopeless first touch. Funnily enough a few years back I went to a 21st birthday and all the younguns and me in my forties had a game of cuppy...I won, that probably went down like a lead balloon. But I have got fiitter and stronger as I age ( even now 56). I love to give 90 minutes a go and reckon I wouldn't get winded like I did when I was a lazy kid.

One thing that the Munich / Barcelona match last night showed is that physicality is probably now more important than footballing ability. It doesn't matter how skillful you are if you're not getting/getting to the ball. I remember when full back was where you stuck your shittest player, now it's practically the entire game. That's why it's become almost the sole preserve of insanely fit nineteen year old black kids sprinting 11km's during a game.

7 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Wonder how many people on here have been saved from perpetrating some sort of school massacre, in their youth, by this country’s stringent gun laws.

Sounds like quite a few want to strut about tooled up. Wouldn't recommend it, even in shitholes. You become a target, and a person of suspicion.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

12 hours ago, Snark said:

I used to get shin splints quite badly as a kid, so I hated sports because everything was basically some sort of running.

11 hours ago, stop_the_craziness said:

50 minutes ago, Melchett said:

This. Absolutely. School sports tend to be very rigid and limited. And this puts a lot of people off for life.

Not just me then :)

I think school sports are crap for those like me who were small, clumsy and not great team players.

They are also crap for individual athletes like my daughter who loves Swimming, Climbing,  Jitsu, Gymnastics, Kickboxing and Tennis. She doesn't like team sports but is forced to do them and has actually picked injuries in school which prevented her doing the sports she loves.

50 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Growing up I have repeatedly told my daughters that it doesnt matter what physical exercise they do, just find something they enjoy enough that they keep doing it.

I was determined to find a sport for me daughter to love as a gift for life, so she didn't end up out of shape and with poor emotional regulation like me. In the event she founds loads of individual sports that she loves which is great!

Both Mr J'O and J'O Jr are super fit which is great in it's self but they also find exercise a great stress reliever.

Edited by JackieO
19 minutes ago, Melchett said:

I still recall the sullen and resentful comments of 'you must have cheated somehow' when my class got back from a cross country run aged about 14 to find Id already finished and was showered and changed. "But youre crap at cricket and football and rugby and...!" After years of being one of the last to be picked for almost everything it was a joy to finally find a sport where I could hand the usual suspects their arses on a plate for the next few years.

Our old cross country course involved a run ( most walked) up to the castle and back down a 1 in 1 incline slippery field at  one point. There is no way in hell health and safety would allow it now. I was on the cross country team but the guy who was showering before the rest of us lived next to the castle and his dad owned the ruins so he walked up and down to the 800 feet altitude castle everyday. He did the (just under 3 mile course) in 18 minutes, the rest of the team about 22 minutes.

419883508_1011020(1).jpg.3dee99e6c1e7ba210b51353b5d3a5545.jpg