• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Avoiding pay by phone carparks, do you do it?

Recommended Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40866201

As per title, apparently two thirds of people will look for alternatives if a car park is pay by phone. I do.  Two reasons.  One, I don't trust some random company with my credit card details. Second, it's massive hassle. 

However, from the article:

councils said that paying by phone was a quick and convenient option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40866201

As per title, apparently two thirds of people will look for alternatives if a car park is pay by phone. I do.  Two reasons.  One, I don't trust some random company with my credit card details. Second, it's massive hassle. 

However, from the article:

councils said that paying by phone was a quick and convenient option.

Yes convenient for them as they can eventually remove the cash machines that need emptying. I've done it when I have no change. One of my local car parks has added a card reader so you can pay by card chip and pin or contactless, I'd rather do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Yes convenient for them as they can eventually remove the cash machines that need emptying. I've done it when I have no change. One of my local car parks has added a card reader so you can pay by card chip and pin or contactless, I'd rather do that.

No use to me as I don't normally carry a phone. No problem with debit card ones though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a one off yes its a PITA, conversely I found it to be a godsend at the station car park when I was train commuting daily because once its setup you can buy further tickets with a single text message, so I like having it as an option. 

 

Edited by goldbug9999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, One percent said:

I've got a little purse in the car.  Every now and again, I dump change into it, thus making sure that I always have change for the carpark.  What could be easier or simpler? 

Free parking? xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, One percent said:

I've got a little purse in the car.  Every now and again, I dump change into it, thus making sure that I always have change for the carpark.  What could be easier or simpler? 

Same.  Fuck using a phone and giving some data insecure place my card details.  would use a card and PIN device in an emergency, but always have slummy knocking about anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, One percent said:

Well yes but that's never going to happen. Bastards. xD

Our local authority has allowed us one hours free parking at most car parks in the town. Great for popping into the bank to pay in a cheque. I was particularly aggrieved a couple of years ago when the 20p short stay car park cost 50p!

I pay by phone whenever I can,  I find it much more convenient than scrabbling around for change. Besides if they :ph34r: ever want to scrutinise my spending it will show a lot more noise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally it's just a proof issue, what proof do I have that I paid. Might get an email/text message but working in IT I see false positives all the time. 

What proof do I have that the parking attendant who will be placing the ticket on my car has the correct up to date information etc etc. Too many failure points when I can put in a £1 coin (more on that in a second) and get a physical object, firstly to display instantly and secondly send as proof in the event of any issues. 

Apart from all that it's never a case of just paying for a ticket, 9/10 times it's download an app, I don't want 15 different parking apps on my phone. Equally on that front for the last 5 years I've had a Windows phone, never supported by these apps.

---- 

With regard to the £1 coin, reports on BBC that only a couple of months to go and no longer legal tender... was sent for a blood test the other day, 3 massive car parks at the hospital, realistically £4 to park yet none of the machines accept the new £1. Same in loads of places. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gilf said:

 

With regard to the £1 coin, reports on BBC that only a couple of months to go and no longer legal tender... was sent for a blood test the other day, 3 massive car parks at the hospital, realistically £4 to park yet none of the machines accept the new £1. Same in loads of places. 

 

 

I didn't know that - I don't think I've even seen a new pound coin in the flesh so to speak. Must get all our pound coins rounded up and spent before it becomes a PITA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, This Time said:

I didn't know that - I don't think I've even seen a new pound coin in the flesh so to speak. Must get all our pound coins rounded up and spent before it becomes a PITA.

15th October apparently. 

As always usual caveats about what legal tender means. Suspect you will still be able to pass them off in shops etc the old £5 note for example stop being legal tender on 5th May, didn't stop the local takeaway giving me one a couple of weeks ago. As I've said before, doesn't make a lot of difference if we all agree it's still worth what it says on the front.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't pay for parking full stop. If it's a council owned carpark then I don't use it and find a residential street. If it's a privately owned one, I don't bother paying full stop and just ignore their letters. Fuck em!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I just don't pay for parking full stop. If it's a council owned carpark then I don't use it and find a residential street. If it's a privately owned one, I don't bother paying full stop and just ignore their letters. Fuck em!

Be careful with that - there was a court ruling recently saying that private parking fine are legally enforceable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the majority of the above comments.

I have used phone pay parking precisely once, at a railway station when there was no realistic alternative.

I would avoid and have avoided it where possible.  Always cash (or free!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gilf said:

15th October apparently. 

As always usual caveats about what legal tender means. Suspect you will still be able to pass them off in shops etc the old £5 note for example stop being legal tender on 5th May, didn't stop the local takeaway giving me one a couple of weeks ago. As I've said before, doesn't make a lot of difference if we all agree it's still worth what it says on the front.

 

 

Just to point out that all notes ever printed are exchangeable at face value at the Bank of England -- so if you've got a few old fivers you can still get your money.

But that doesn't apply to coins -- so get rid of the £1s before the cut-off date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, This Time said:

Be careful with that - there was a court ruling recently saying that private parking fine are legally enforceable. 

I'm going to be a pedant and reply "no there wasn't" :) (It was one of the arguments that had previously been used that was defeated in the Crown Court, but there are still 20+ other arguments that can be used successfully).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My local GP surgery is now dishing out £70 fines if you stay longer than an hour (its not possible to pay for longer). Its not unusual to be delayed 45 minutes or more in the waiting room. Not to mention picking up a prescription next door. B'stards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As golf said, I don't want 15 different parking apps on my phone. Again I have a windows phone so can't download the app anyway meaning I have to do it via IE which is a faff. I've paid by phone about 3 times in the last 5 years. If I can't pay coins or card I go elsewhere.

Our local council used to do a smartcard scheme which I initially used but the problem was you could only top it up by visiting the council office which wasn't a problem when I cycled past it every day but once that stopped it became a bloody useless scheme. Also half the time I didn't have the card with me, either the wife had it or we left it in the other card. Once I'd used up the balance I chucked it away.

I rarely need to pay for parking these days as I avoid going to town and buy stuff online. Why waste the time, fuel and money for parking only to find such a poor selection of more expensive goods?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BigV said:

My local GP surgery is now dishing out £70 fines if you stay longer than an hour (its not possible to pay for longer). Its not unusual to be delayed 45 minutes or more in the waiting room. Not to mention picking up a prescription next door. B'stards

Simple, just ignore. Doubt it's a council car park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gilf said:

Personally it's just a proof issue, what proof do I have that I paid. Might get an email/text message but working in IT I see false positives all the time. 

What proof do I have that the parking attendant who will be placing the ticket on my car has the correct up to date information etc etc. Too many failure points when I can put in a £1 coin (more on that in a second) and get a physical object, firstly to display instantly and secondly send as proof in the event of any issues. 

Apart from all that it's never a case of just paying for a ticket, 9/10 times it's download an app, I don't want 15 different parking apps on my phone. Equally on that front for the last 5 years I've had a Windows phone, never supported by these apps.

---- 

With regard to the £1 coin, reports on BBC that only a couple of months to go and no longer legal tender... was sent for a blood test the other day, 3 massive car parks at the hospital, realistically £4 to park yet none of the machines accept the new £1. Same in loads of places. 

 

 

For that reason I damage the planet by requesting a receipt for my local Number-plate recognition car park. Otherwise, what do you do if you get to the exit and the barrier doesn't open?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.