DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The English Riviera is F**ked Thread.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been fucked since late 80s / early 90s when they made up the shortfall of tourists with housing scum of the earth from <pick a faraway post industrial shithole> I remember going thru the ar

Had a fantastic holiday just outside Torquay last week. Stayed in the Osborne apartments just over the headland, about 15 minute walk from the harbour/marina, or 30 mins walk via a truly scenic coasta

You know you live someone pricey when you think the English Riviera is cheap... It's bloody expensive. Miles and miles of £800k dormer bungalows, obese boomers on mobility scooters. I hate the pl

Posted Images

Been fucked since late 80s / early 90s when they made up the shortfall of tourists with housing scum of the earth from <pick a faraway post industrial shithole>

I remember going thru the area when working as a travelling grunt in 88ish.

I remember sitting down watching families on holidays, a clean sea and a tropical- to me - weather.

I went back for a nosey, late 90s, same time of year.

Fucking hell hole. Cgav scum. No west country, all mockney-brum. Grossly obese scum mums.

Top tip to seaside regeneration- or any regeneration- never ever let scum move and live in subbed accomodation. Ever.

3 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

One place I have not been since '89. Thought Torquay was a bit chavy even then, although I did get off with a local lass.

Remember surrounding places being alright. God knows what it must be like now.

It wasnt great. But it wasnt as bad as today.

7 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

One place I have not been since '89. Thought Torquay was a bit chavy even then, although I did get off with a local lass.

Remember surrounding places being alright. God knows what it must be like now.

It's absolutely fine.  I've been twice in the last few years.

The only odd thing I found about it was its layout.  Bar the big central Wetherspoons - The Green Ginger - we really struggled to find any pubs and did a loop of what seemed like an industrial area before returning to the hotel.

I asked my parents who knew it better where the pubs were hiding and they said they were all on the other side of the harbour and up the hill; which made the second visit more enjoyable.

I find it a bit of pain to get to as the roads aren't brilliant.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's absolutely fine.  I've been twice in the last few years.

The only odd thing I found about it was its layout.  Bar the big central Wetherspoons - The Green Ginger - we really struggled to find any pubs and did a loop of what seemed like an industrial area before returning to the hotel.

I asked my parents who knew it better where the pubs were hiding and they said they were all on the other side of the harbour and up the hill; which made the second visit more enjoyable.

I find it a bit of pain to get to as the roads aren't brilliant.

Would you live there Frank?

I ask as visiting and living are two completely different experiences.

Just now, Panda said:

Would you live there Frank?

I ask as visiting and living are two completely different experiences.

I'm not sure that I would tbh.

I don't think it's a bad place and it has some very nice suburbs but they are a long way from the beaches.

Overall it's a bit too big and busy for me.

AFAIK its main appeal is that it's a cheap place to live within the nice overall area of the south Devon coast; though if you can afford it you will opt to live in one of the smaller and nicer seaside towns.

I know someone who lives there and he seems perfectly happy though.

Had a fantastic holiday just outside Torquay last week. Stayed in the Osborne apartments just over the headland, about 15 minute walk from the harbour/marina, or 30 mins walk via a truly scenic coastal path. Tennis and swimming in either the sea or the outdoor pool every day. Good restaurants nearby if you search carefully on trip advisor. Fantastic for a family holiday.

2DEE1D17-C5E8-430C-9C67-B2831C9CCDC5.jpeg

CE04F9EE-5A59-4518-9364-65809E17F896.jpeg

8AD88336-2CF9-4EE9-9695-D102B487C586.jpeg

Edit to add: the beach in front of the apartments is gravelly, and it’s a fair old walk to Torquay’s sandy beach. So if that’s critical to you, you’d be better off the other side of town.

Second edit to add: I fucking hate sandy beaches, it’s basically just a landscape of tiny grit that gets in everything.

Edited by Hail the Tripod
20 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't think it's a bad place and it has some very nice suburbs but they are a long way from the beaches.

AFAIK its main appeal is that it's a cheap place to live within the nice overall area of the south Devon coast; though if you can afford it you will opt to live in one of the smaller and nicer seaside towns.

Noticed this up for sale for a cool £1.5m: https://www.countrylife.co.uk/property/award-winning-residence-built-within-grade-ii-listed-ruined-walls-accessed-automated-portcullis-196522

AE72CBBE-BE3A-4833-8DFF-5752FBB1A8E5.jpeg

Edited by Hail the Tripod
19 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Had a fantastic holiday just outside Torquay last week. Stayed in the Osborne apartments just over the headland, about 15 minute walk from the harbour/marina, or 30 mins walk via a truly scenic coastal path. Tennis and swimming in either the sea or the outdoor pool every day. Good restaurants nearby if you search carefully on trip advisor. Fantastic for a family holiday.

2DEE1D17-C5E8-430C-9C67-B2831C9CCDC5.jpeg

CE04F9EE-5A59-4518-9364-65809E17F896.jpeg

8AD88336-2CF9-4EE9-9695-D102B487C586.jpeg

Edit to add: the beach in front of the apartments is gravelly, and it’s a fair old walk to Torquay’s sandy beach. So if that’s critical to you, you’d be better off the other side of town.

Second edit to add: I fucking hate sandy beaches, it’s basically just a landscape of tiny grit that gets in everything.

Is that Babbacombe bay?

I went there in the work trip I mentioned earlier. I thought it was great.

Torquay pales in comparison to Cornwall. Top beaches in Cornwall, Bude and Waterlowe bay on the north coast  ( of Devon ? ) is cracking as well and not so congested.

Thing with a holiday in Torquay you would / could go elsewhere for the day. If its rainy its not far to the National Marine Aquarium  or Theatre Royal in Plymouth. Dartmoor which is worth really exploring is nearby also. Eden Project not too far on a day trip also. 

38 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

You know you live someone pricey when you think the English Riviera is cheap...

It's bloody expensive. Miles and miles of £800k dormer bungalows, obese boomers on mobility scooters. I hate the place, from Plymouth to Eastbourne needs nuking. Some parts of Dorset and Devon are nice enough, but most if it is suburbia on sea now.

Funnily enough Eastbourne is nowhere near as bad as the rep it gets, Hastings and Brighton are ten times worse. All coastal towns more or less are shit, limited by their geography you are effectively halving the amount of jobs / things to do by living on the coast.

Margate is probably the worst place I've ever been. And yes I've been to Clacton.

12 minutes ago, spunko said:

You know you live someone pricey when you think the English Riviera is cheap...

It's bloody expensive. Miles and miles of £800k dormer bungalows,

Four bed detached bungalow with annex in Torquay: £300k.

First one on the list.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61388451.html

Looks perfectly nice to me.

27 minutes ago, Shamone said:

Went to Pain town for a week in 2017. What a fucking shithole. Scum central. Fuck that. Nice walk from there to Brixham, if you ignored the start and finish. 

46E1F1E8-86B6-4EB7-83C7-3092998A37A5.jpeg

Yep Paignton is quite a place that resembles a broken seaside town.

Went there in 86. Disco bars. Had the best UK holiday ever.

Now. Today. Sad to see.

Fuck this country is depressing at the moment.

What's gone wrong?

2 hours ago, Panda said:

Discuss. Thoughts.

Visited in 1986 and visited recently.

Did the sky fall in.

Always considered it a place to holiday. Not anymore...

Everywhere has changed in 35 years - Do you have any other insights why Torquay has changed in such a drastic way?

I take it you've never been to Rhyll?

:wanker:

50 minutes ago, spunko said:

Margate is probably the worst place I've ever been. And yes I've been to Clacton.

You need to travel further North spunks.

I am convinced that when Morrissey came up with the lines "it is the coastal town, that they forgot to burn down", he was living in Seaton Carew...

XYY

3 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

You need to travel further North spunks.

I am convinced that when Morrissey came up with the lines "it is the coastal town, that they forgot to burn down", he was living in Seaton Carew...

XYY

Blackpool probably..

Hitler saved it from distruction. He liked the place.

6 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I think that the image of Hitler on a donkey wearing a "Kiss Me Quick" hat that your post has just conjured up in my mind will stay there for quite some time...

;)

XYY

Honestly it's true..

He wanted it as his playground.

But the image you described. Had me rolling with laughter.