DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Drone recomendation

Question

Anyone good with these things?

I've never owned one, but was thinking about getting one after a long deliberation. I believe if they are small enough you don't need a licence. I am relatively good with gadgets, I have a Go Pro Hero 7 and Osmo Pocket.

I want to do some 1080p footage high above some public areas (don't know if it would be illegal, but probably?), such as the coast and woodland.

I know about the Mavic mini-ultra light, but not sure if I need to spend more.

Ideally I don't want to spend more than £500 as I don't know how much use I will get out of it. But maybe I should hire somebody to do it for me?

Ideally it should have autonomous GPS way-points but I know this isn't a standard out of the box for the Mavic mini-ultra light.

16 answers to this question

Keep out of bult up areas / over private houses and probably OK whether legal or not, first that spring to mind was the mavic. Personally would buy something really cheap to muck around with first - £100, get familiar with that and then use that to work out what you really need and make any mistakes on.

5 hours ago, spunko said:

I have one, used it a couple of times and gave up. Absolutely nightmare to try to handle these things IMO, a very steep learning curve and you need a big open space to practice.

I bought a cheap Syma for £30 and just practiced indoors for a while. Fun but can't be bothered trying a proper video one: all the restrictions plus I know that the drone footage that I like has been processed (graded etc), and more learning will be required to produce videos than to just fly it. 

Well I've ordered the Mavic Mini, it shouldn't need a licence as it is 1g under the legal limit. It has a good flight time and range.

I want to document some areas locally which haven't been done by other people, and leave behind a "legacy"...

I haven't checked in here for a while - but my Mavic Mini came, and I had to buy a cheap PAYG second hand iphone6 and replace it's battery to get it up and flying. It doesn't like Android phones.

So far I am very pleased with it - it is very easy to fly, my only tutor being youtube videos. It's been out on 6 separate missions with great results. 

My tip, have a flight plan, and a routine of setting up.

The big advantages are that is small and portable. You can set up and fly in 3 minutes - and pack up and go in 2 minutes. You can launch it and land on your hand, which is great in a tight area (but not once airborne).

Edited by 201p
15 hours ago, 201p said:

I haven't checked in here for a while - but my Mavic Mini came, and I had to buy a cheap PAYG second hand iphone6 and replace it's battery to get it up and flying. It doesn't like Android phones.

So far I am very pleased with it - it is very easy to fly, my only tutor being youtube videos. It's been out on 6 separate missions with great results. 

The big advantages are that is small and portable. You can set up and fly in 3 minutes - and pack up and go in 2 minutes. You can launch it and land on your hand, which is great in a tight area (but not once airborne).

Result, didn't know they were picky with phone types, nice having something that you can pack away and chuck into boot. 

I've picked up a couple of foam models (trainer type cessna s/h and cheap) to have a go with, too much going on at the moment to do anything with yet. If the money starts coming in over the next year or two and the bills lessen might get the the little mini myself. had some of the tiny soma things to chuck around.

On 15/09/2020 at 17:55, 201p said:

Yeah just saw this. DJI mavic series are where its at right now. Pretty much anything modern you buy is the dogs dick video and feature wise.

Be aware thought that all your flights are logged with DJI via 4G, including GPS locations/altitude of the entire flight path. So if youre thinking of illegal flying, be careful as you can be traced, if push comes to shove.

They are so easy to fly and limit your take off options to where you can legally fly, ie not within 5km of an airport. You'd really have to be a complete dick to do something stupid with one.

Yeah it's pretty clever. It knows where you are when you take off. It won't let you fly near an airport, and it will warn you if you are in a restricted area, and there is a tick box you must tick to make sure you understand before you fly. This makes it very safe.

Some things you have to use your common sense - like not flying near a warship or Navy Base. That would track back to me pretty quickly.

Edited by 201p

Here's how you could monetise a drone. I don't know if this was shot by a drone, but I don't think there is another way to do it looking at the Needles on the IOW (I maybe wrong). The chap is busy selling pictures according to his FB page.

Even if not by drone, it is a whole new are of real estate for photography.

119942227_1705769416252740_8686737550392

https://www.ainsleybennettphotography.co.uk/ab607-moonshine-over-the-needles

Edited by 201p
On 05/09/2020 at 16:49, Popuplights said:

My son has a Mavic pro, couple of years old. It's very good, the flight stabilization and GPS tracking are excellent. You won't be disappointed. Here is a little film he shot.

My son filmed this with his DJI Spark, the big issue with the Spark is the tranmission power is crippled in Europe and it makes it tricky to handle so I would not recommend it for that reason (great little drone if you are in the US though)