Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Death of New York


The Masked Tulip

Recommended Posts

The Masked Tulip

NYC Is Dead Forever… Here’s Why

https://jamesaltucher.com/blog/nyc-is-dead-forever-heres-why/

A Facebook group formed a few weeks ago that was for people who were planning a move and wanted others to talk to and ask advice from. Within two or three days it had about 10,000 members. 

Every day I see more and more posts, “I’ve been in NYC forever but I guess this time I have to say goodbye.” Every single day I see those posts. I’ve been screenshotting them for my scrapbook. 

 

  • Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • One percent

    8

  • The Masked Tulip

    7

  • MrPin

    5

  • TheBlueCat

    5

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From one of the twitter responses to the driving along past boarded up windows.  

I love the way that article implies that a bicycle is somehow an Islamic invention, as if a cult stuck in the 7th century could produce something that required the Reformation, the Enlightenment, the

Financialisation and socialism for the rich has turned all the main western cities into monocultures with the same big corporate chains on each street and everything being about how subcultures can be

Bobthebuilder

A part of me hopes all the middle class wankers are getting out of inner city areas they have been trying to gentrify and give it back to the working class, bankers, drug dealers and drop outs, just like its always been.Hackney in London would be much improved by seeing the back of the hipster middle class, in fact i think its already happening.

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Masked Tulip
5 minutes ago, eight said:

Has somebody made a big apple crumble?

 

Nah, it's too much like an apple pie - that's too American and thus too racist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, Errol said:

Similar to London - it's a dirty, unpleasant dump. Who would want to live there?

Londoners?

I would love to see all the beardy ones pack up thier stuff on a vintage bicycle and go back to the shires.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
One percent
11 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Londoners?

I would love to see all the beardy ones pack up thier stuff on a vintage bicycle and go back to the shires.

I would like to see all beardy ones fuck off.  

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
ad_ceng
1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

NYC Is Dead Forever… Here’s Why

https://jamesaltucher.com/blog/nyc-is-dead-forever-heres-why/

A Facebook group formed a few weeks ago that was for people who were planning a move and wanted others to talk to and ask advice from. Within two or three days it had about 10,000 members. 

Every day I see more and more posts, “I’ve been in NYC forever but I guess this time I have to say goodbye.” Every single day I see those posts. I’ve been screenshotting them for my scrapbook. 

 

Friend of mine moved to NYC for a Job from Kansas, kept thier house there just headed back from NYC to there now they can work from anywhere 

  • Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
ashestoashes

this is all happening with settled teams, how does a new person get taken on and trained up without sitting with someone for months until they learn the job ? Will also take longer to realise new person isn't up to it.

  • Agree 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

this is all happening with settled teams, how does a new person get taken on and trained up without sitting with someone for months until they learn the job ? Will also take longer to realise new person isn't up to it.

I've seen teams where people were taken on right at the start of the pandemic. Training happened all remotely (intensively) and the new team members were fully integrated within a month or so. These are people who did come from the same or similar industry/job spec though.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
TheBlueCat
1 hour ago, ashestoashes said:

this is all happening with settled teams, how does a new person get taken on and trained up without sitting with someone for months until they learn the job ? Will also take longer to realise new person isn't up to it.

We’ve continued to on-board people over last few months and it’s worked ok. We have a lot of good documentation and we’re only hiring people with experience in the space though. It’s definitely easier to do it face to face but it does work and is only a little bit slower than doing it that way. It still sucks though, I for one do not want to work remotely long term.

Link to post
Share on other sites
One percent
13 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

We’ve continued to on-board people over last few months and it’s worked ok. We have a lot of good documentation and we’re only hiring people with experience in the space though. It’s definitely easier to do it face to face but it does work and is only a little bit slower than doing it that way. It still sucks though, I for one do not want to work remotely long term.

Are you the purser or the captain?  o.O

  • Lol 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
TheBlueCat
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Are you the purser or the captain?  o.O

Definitely the captain. I’d rather be a pirate though, seems like more fun.

  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
One percent
7 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Definitely the captain. I’d rather be a pirate though, seems like more fun.

I’ll be round tomorrow with a parrot and a saw to cut your leg off. Oh, and a peg to replace it.  xD

  • Lol 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
The XYY Man
2 hours ago, One percent said:

I would like to see all beardy ones fuck off.  

Bit extreme that mind.

Why don't you just have a shave...?

 

XYY

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wight Flight
47 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

We’ve continued to on-board people over last few months and it’s worked ok. We have a lot of good documentation and we’re only hiring people with experience in the space though. 

You what?

  • Agree 2
  • Lol 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Wight Flight
1 minute ago, One percent said:

He’s a pirate. They talk gibberish.  

Ah. I thought he was an astronaut.

Like a pirate, but further away.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
TheBlueCat
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Ah. I thought he was an astronaut.

Like a pirate, but further away.

Space cadet possibly. It’s the tech company argot I’m afraid and, after too many years in the North American colonies, I’m not as adept at switching contexts as I once was.

Edited by TheBlueCat
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
One percent
7 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Ah. I thought he was an astronaut.

Like a pirate, but further away.

And with a parrot and peg.  :)

  • Lol 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Wight Flight
4 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Space cadet possibly. It’s the tech company argot I’m afraid and, after too many years in the North American colonies, I’m not as adept at switching contexts as I once was.

Keep going.

One more and I can win corporate buzzwords bingo.

  • Agree 1
  • Lol 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
wherebee
1 hour ago, TheBlueCat said:

We’ve continued to on-board people over last few months and it’s worked ok. We have a lot of good documentation and we’re only hiring people with experience in the space though. It’s definitely easier to do it face to face but it does work and is only a little bit slower than doing it that way. It still sucks though, I for one do not want to work remotely long term.

I'm working on one thing for a client where we'll probably have to hire contractors soon for a piece of it.  It just means you have to write out the processes in exact detail and train properly, which takes more time than a day sitting next to Bob.  It also means that teams are not able to be in the same space and handle unexpected issues by asking the person next to them (many people learn best that way).

The big issue, I think, is security and data.  If everyone is working from home, that means in many industries they have to see private date on a screen.  In the office you could see if someone was using a cameraphone to take a picture - now, you cannot.  Industrial espionage just got much easier.

And re New York -

New York is an amazing city to visit, but a shithole to live in for at least 50 years unless you are under 25 years old or over 25 million net worth.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...