DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Man boys, are we?

On two occasions I heard this this weekend.

1. My boss, who is running a successful business during the day while building a full wrap around extension around family home in the evening and weekends, was accused of being one by his missus.

Reason, the lease was up on his company pick up, as the company has grown and he is more client focused, he has replaced it with a 5.0L Mustang.

His missus is no longer talking to him, refusing to travel in it and accused him of being a man boy.

2, Friend of the missus on the phone blubbing, her fella has just stormed out apparently sick of being treated like a child.

The missus looked at me and I said nothing other that gave her the Roger Moore eyebrow.

It does worry me, I do nothing other than work and look after the little un when the missus works the weekends.

I have no idea what modern men are supposed to do to avoid this accusation.

There is the flippant saying "When a woman becomes a mother, everyone else becomes a child" and I am struggling to prove this wrong.

There is much much more to this behaviour and its not a fault thing but its almost impossible to approach.

AIBU?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife flew into a rage when I changed my car without consulting her. It’s the only car in the household, and she is a named driver on the insurance. Initially I was baffled about what she was in a r

Sounds like expensive divorces are coming. I've been chatting with an ex recently, and was all ready to dip my wick when I was reminded why I ditched her in the 1st place. Had a wank, then g

I think she was looking for the lump hammer.

17 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

There is the flippant saying "When a woman becomes a mother, everyone else becomes a child" and I am struggling to prove this wrong.

I had read similar in a Terry Pratchett book and when one member of staff returned from maternity leave she was doing just this.

I gently pulled her up on it and, because she hadn't realised that she was doing this but accepted that she had been, stopped.  It wasn't like her at all which is why it was so noticeable.

I suspect that it's very common but women, at least in professional environments, suppress it.   Though one woman with whom I worked, not my team, didn't suppress it that well at work so the general assumption was that her poor husband had a very hard time of it at home.

I've had it and think it stems from some women, after a time, taking everything that you do for absolute granted and then regarding you as useless for not doing other things because they have genuinely lost sight of what you are doing for them.  My response was, where practical, to immediately cancel the meal out / weekend away (that I had arranged and for which I was paying) and turn around on the basis that if they're not appreciating it then they're not having it.  This would get things back onto a normal keel for a few weeks before they started sliding again.

I was glad I wasn't married as I could end that but some women can see marriage, with the legal backing of the divorce laws making it very much your loss if the marriage ends, as a licence to behave unreasonably and get away with it time after time.

Edit: I don't regard myself as jaded; but I do now know for what danger signs to look out.  Things said in apparent humour at first betray the underlying thoughts.

Edited by Frank Hovis
20 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

1. My boss, who is running a successful business during the day while building a full wrap around extension around family home in the evening and weekends, was accused of being one by his missus.

Reason, the lease was up on his company pick up, as the company has grown and he is more client focused, he has replaced it with a 5.0L Mustang.

His missus is no longer talking to him, refusing to travel in it and accused him of being a man boy.

2, Friend of the missus on the phone blubbing, her fella has just stormed out apparently sick of being treated like a child.

The missus looked at me and I said nothing other that gave her the Roger Moore eyebrow.

It does worry me, I do nothing other than work and look after the little un when the missus works the weekends.

There is much much more to this behaviour and its not a fault thing but its almost impossible to approach.

AIBU?

As soon as women have kids when you try to engage them on any topic they have no interest in they just hear ‘Mum, you know on Super Mario Kart’.

20 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

How old is he?

I have come across plenty of these women either via dating sites or just in life generally. Husband is usually dead by early 50's having worked himself to death to please his ever-nagging wife. The widow then lives a life of riley whilst forever telling everyone about her hubby's illness or sudden demise.

Her children get to have lots of new uncles though.

5 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

My wife flew into a rage when I changed my car without consulting her. It’s the only car in the household, and she is a named driver on the insurance. Initially I was baffled about what she was in a rage about. 

Her: “How dare you change our car without even consulting me!!!”

Me: ”I didn’t really think of it as our car. It’s my car, it’s always been my car, and I’ve never had to ‘consult’ anyone before changing my car in the past.”

Her: ”That’s just typical! Your car??? I drive it too!!!”

Me: ”Yeah! My car! I bought it. I pay the tax, the insurance, the servicing, almost all the fuel. If you want it to be OUR car you can pay half from now on and you will be entitled to be consulted.”

At which point I walk off downstairs. 5 minutes later, she comes down and says “OK, let’s have a look at YOUR new car then.” xD

I’d need an audio file of that to run through a sarcasm detector before making a final decision on who won there.

6 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've had it and think it stems from some women, after a time, taking everything that you do for absolute granted and then regarding you as useless for not doing other things because they have genuinely lost sight of what you are doing for them.  My response was, where practical, to immediately cancel the meal out / weekend away (that I had arranged and for which I was paying) and turn around on the basis that if they're not appreciating it then they're not having it.  This would get things back onto a normal keel for a few weeks before they started sliding again.

It’s a funny thing. My inclination is to be kind and considerate to my wife, but if I do that she turns into an absolute horror. I have to make the conscious effort to be inconsiderate and disdainful in a specific way from time to time.

I think the golden rule for (most) women is: if they don’t have to fight for your interest, they’ll actively resent your interest.

10 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

My wife flew into a rage when I changed my car without consulting her. It’s the only car in the household, and she is a named driver on the insurance. Initially I was baffled about what she was in a rage about. 

Her: “How dare you change our car without even consulting me!!!”

Me: ”I didn’t really think of it as our car. It’s my car, it’s always been my car, and I’ve never had to ‘consult’ anyone before changing my car in the past.”

Her: ”That’s just typical! Your car??? I drive it too!!!”

Me: ”Yeah! My car! I bought it. I pay the tax, the insurance, the servicing, almost all the fuel. If you want it to be OUR car you can pay half from now on and you will be entitled to be consulted.”

At which point I walk off downstairs. 5 minutes later, she comes down and says “OK, let’s have a look at YOUR new car then.” xD

Classic.

You arrange and pay for everything regarding the car but it's "our" car.   When it's working anyway.  If it's broken it's your car.

When I read stuff like this it just reminds me that we (Mrs S and I) are in a significant minority. We are equal partners in our business with equal earnings. There is no mine or yours (other than of course my record collection :D). Single personal bank account. All significant purchases (say £100+) are a joint decision. Life is quite simple really....

55 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

as the company has grown and he is more client focused, he has replaced it with a 5.0L Mustang.

Basically "man child" is in the same vein as "man up".

What this woman is saying is "I only think of you in relation of your utility value to me, so if you are spending time and resources on things that give you joy alone I will shame you for it. Your needs and wants are irrelevant.".

Basically this man's wife doesn't give a fuck about him. He's a slave in her mind.

Oh, and the more I hear anedotally the more I think this is how most marriages actually function.

""She just wants a slave
To break his back in pursuit of a living wage
So that she can laze and graze
For the rest of her days" - Moz

Edited by JoeDavola
Just now, JoeDavola said:

Basically "man child" is in the same vein as "man up".

What this woman is saying is "I only think of you in relation of your utility value to me, so if you are spending time and resources on things that give you joy alone I will shame you for it".

Basically this man's wife doesn't give a fuck about him. He's a slave in her mind.

Sometimes you have to fix ladies' cars.

53 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

AIBU?

The second one, I don't know, but the first one - WHOOOOO.  Red flag alert.  Basically, getting a mustang increases her husbands SMV in her eyes.  It's a direct challenge. Trading in his old comfy pickup for a nice fast motor?  What gets trades next? her? :Jumping:

He's done a blinder though.  if he holds his line and tells her she cannot get in it until she apologises, and she certainly can't drive it for a year, he'll get some good fucking in return.

The other possibility is that she is having an affair and this  unsettles her as it means he has a mind of his own and might do the same...

Wasn't the reason for this covered in the Alain de Botton video someone posted a few days back on why you will marry the wrong person?

Everyone wants attention to reassure them they are loved. Parental love is often revealed as telling off "don't do that!" or guidance "you do it like this." Even bad interactions are preferable to no interaction and even remind people of the parental love they were shown. People will manufacture a situation/confrontation out of the blue to get some attention. A new toy/hobby has the potential to divert attention away from a loved one, so is ill-received. I can't remember whether de Botton covered why women and children do this more. Perhaps men have a different way of getting attention? Going silent, maybe? Or maybe most just grow out of it?

This is why you should never intervene when you see another family arguing, even if it looks bad. They are very likely to turn on you because their fight is really about proof of love, and fighting off an external threat (you) is a great way to show each other how much they are loved.

Edited by Nippy
49 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

AIBU?

The example number 1 is a shocker, that woman needs to be told to wind her neck in and appreciate what a seriously competent husband she has if he's managing all that at once. Who gives a shit about the car?  If he's doing all that he won't have time for finding a blonde mistress to put in it which is presumably partly behind her fear.

Example no 2 the husband has done the right thing, fuck off and let her stew for a week.

My own sister, who is a lovely gentle natured woman married to a wealthy successful man, was whingeing a few years back that her husband is over-decisive and bossy. I asked her how she thought he had achieved his position which has brought them all the comforts and security and a great lifestyle. He's very kind as well, just never wants to dither over anything and gets a bit snippy if anyone does. To be fair she stopped whingeing after that.

12 minutes ago, wherebee said:

getting a mustang increases her husbands SMV

Weird, isn't it, that women trot out this line about powerful engines compensating for inadequate wedding tackle in men, yet, at the same time, thay are instinctively attracted to men who have flash cars because they are a signal of success and the ability to provide.

2 minutes ago, Nippy said:

Weird, isn't it, that women trot out this line about powerful engines compensating for inadequate wedding tackle in men, yet, at the same time, thay are instinctively attracted to men who have flash cars because they are a signal of success and the ability to provide.

Well that’s bad for @MrPin with his V8 obsession, but what does it say about @SNACR and his obsession with trucks and heavy plant? :o

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Edit: I don't regard myself as jaded; but I do now know for what danger signs to look out.  Things said in apparent humour at first betray the underlying thoughts.

Yes, never ever go along with that 'manflu' bollocks or talking like you're not there.

Edited by Panther