DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Will furlough end in October?

When will furlough end?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. When will furlough end?

• Oct 2020
    • Extended by 2 months
    • Extended by 4 months
    • Extended by 6 months
    • Extended by 7+ months

This has been discussed in drips and drabs but I thought I'd create a poll and dedicated thread.

In my personal opinion, no, it won't. Some quango has calculated that it'll cost UKGOV £10bn more to let it end, over the course of the next 6 months, versus letting it linger on. And as we all know, property prices and private equity are the lifeblood of the UK economy and cannot be allowed to sink.

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1321903/furlough-UK-when-does-furlough-end-recession

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So let's have a think about this... Lockdown ends on Dec 2nd and the furlough ends in March...    

As I've suggested before "furlough" will end because it is associated with covid, which is temporary. It will be changed to basic income which will be permanent.

There's a large moral/fairness issue now about the government subsidising certain people £2k per month just because they were in a role in Feb '20 theoretically, whilst others who fell through the cra

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

This sounds like a politician's answer :D

So it will basically carry on but be renamed?

It'll be tweaked. The allowing part time working will be easier for staff who have to go into work to keep well spaced. not that there's going to be lots of cheap office space about any time now.

The new normal needs to establish itself properly.
If we don't need to spend hours in shops buying tat then we shouldn't. That's good for the planet. 

There's a large moral/fairness issue now about the government subsidising certain people £2k per month just because they were in a role in Feb '20 theoretically, whilst others who fell through the cracks as they'd for example - switched jobs, newly self employed, made redundant anyway - get zero support if over the savings limit and have been burning through £2k per month perhaps.

In terms of cost I don't believe that it would somehow cost more to end it than keep paying it. Maybe they factored in falling land prices or something. If it's a general stimulus question, then just redirect all the money to UC to make it fairer for all, or go all US and mail us a cheque

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

It'll be tweaked. The allowing part time working will be easier for staff who have to go into work to keep well spaced. not that there's going to be lots of cheap office space about any time now.

The new normal needs to establish itself properly.
If we don't need to spend hours in shops buying tat then we shouldn't. That's good for the planet. 

'Too many wealthy middle class people are being supported'.  I'd say they'll start dropping the max allowed rather than increase the employer %age too much.

[This does actually make sense, but in a twisted way -- poor people spend more (all) of their income within the economy, while wealthier folk do inconvenient things like saving and investing.  So you're more likely to have a stimulus effect if you hand most cash to the lower income groups.  Obviously, this logic has serious downstream consequences, but they've managed to not worry about that for years, so I doubt they'll start now.]

[I also think we'll get tax relief on debt interest.  They've had this as their 'nuclear weapon' for a while]

8 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

There's a large moral/fairness issue now about the government subsidising certain people £2k per month just because they were in a role in Feb '20 theoretically, whilst others who fell through the cracks as they'd for example - switched jobs, newly self employed, made redundant anyway - get zero support if over the savings limit and have been burning through £2k per month perhaps.

In terms of cost I don't believe that it would somehow cost more to end it than keep paying it. Maybe they factored in falling land prices or something. If it's a general stimulus question, then just redirect all the money to UC to make it fairer for all, or go all US and mail us a cheque

If you look at my personal circumstances, I've gone from furlough to working due to demand brought about by the Eat Out scheme. So the taxpayer is still on the hook, but now I have to work for my government support package.

21 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Dear God, no... 

Agree on the rest though. If there are to be further payments, they need to be the same for everyone, or if they can't afford that, skewed in favour of those on lower incomes, not against them as before.

1 minute ago, WorkingPoor said:

Germany Furlough extended to 24 months 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/18/germany-to-extend-coronavirus-furlough-to-24-months

The craven scum here will do the same.

Called kurzarbeit (“short work”), it is essentially an unemployment benefit paid out to companies by the government’s Federal Employment Agency, designed to compensate lost earnings for workers who have been temporarily placed on reduced hours, and help companies avoid cutting jobs.

so company gets unemployment benefits rate for its employees and can get them doing a few hours?

On 17/08/2020 at 12:36, Democorruptcy said:

As I've suggested before "furlough" will end because it is associated with covid, which is temporary. It will be changed to basic income which will be permanent.

Yes, I think so too. I simply cannot see the government allowing anyone, particularly not non-net taxpayers, to suffer any major financial hardship. 'The Corona' has turned into the biggest shirker's charter since 'Adam delved and Eve span' and people won't give that up willingly.

The way is clear for a basic income which will be the final nail in the coffin of any sort of incentive to work in this country. It's fortunate this coincides with Brexit, so that millions of Roma can't come over and get it, although I'm sure plenty of foreign guests will find a way of getting a slice of the pie.

Edited by Austin Allegro
3 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

Yes, I think so too. I simply cannot see the government allowing anyone, particularly not non-net taxpayers, to suffer any major financial hardship. 'The Corona' has turned into the biggest shirker's charter since 'Adam delved and Eve span' and people won't give that up willingly.

The way is clear for a basic income which will be the final nail in the coffin of any sort of incentive to work in this country. It's fortunate this coincides with Brexit, so that millions of Roma can't come over and get it, although I'm sure plenty of foreign guests will find a way of getting a slice of the pie.

If there is.

It will be

a) means tested

b) if you arent up to your eyes in debt, with mortgage and car loans, credit cards etc you will get fuck all.

Once again the savers will get nothing, and the en-debted get their mortgages and bmw range rover car loans paid for them by the Cons.

16 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Called kurzarbeit (“short work”), it is essentially an unemployment benefit paid out to companies by the government’s Federal Employment Agency, designed to compensate lost earnings for workers who have been temporarily placed on reduced hours, and help companies avoid cutting jobs.

so company gets unemployment benefits rate for its employees and can get them doing a few hours?

I think to get kurzarbeit the employer needs to jump through all kinds of hoops and get the workers council to sign off on it. It's a well established system aimed at preventing redundancy where a business is going through a temporary problem. 

Unlike here where people are just made redundant at the drop of a hat so we have no equivalent and the government are just making it up as they go along. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie