DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Pandemic coming? - Coronavirus August onwards 2020 (Part 4)

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It isn't that easy to ignore care homes.  I've looked after both my parents and then just my mum (both with dementia) for the last eight years.  A couple of months ago my mum fell in the living room,

So........i've volunteered for the vaccine trials for Covid-19 which apparently were made by a Russian Pharmaceutical company 😳. I  received my first shot and wanted to let everyone know that it’

I think this is not quite true, but it is the key thing in all of this. I would like to see a more detailed comparison, but the impression I have is that the new disease is about 3 or 4 times mor

Posted Images

1 hour ago, MrXxxx said:

In fairness Loki @Hopeful does have a very good scientific understanding of the subject area (whether via his profession or through reading around the subject), and whilst I don't agree with everything he says he does have the right to have his opinions. In this instance though I felt citing the article as `good` really needed justification as I felt it was just tabloid press.

It`s selective understanding that`s the problem if it fits their narrative it`s well thought out science if it don`t it bollocks even if it`s coming from someone with decades of experience in that field 

1 hour ago, twocents said:

Then it's not a unilateral lock down by Drakeford and the Welsh government. - as it's being portrayed.  It's either with the agreement of the UK government or as instructed by the UK government.

Inside Wales it'll be administered by the Welsh but likely under Westminster instruction.

I know this was posted months back.

The UK is acting not separately as four places. Its a petri dish on differing methods with feedback to London on how good or bad they are. Good or bad measured by a variety of means.

I would think keeping London open is their priority in terms on money earning.

Look at the issue with Manchester. Then look at Wales..no shopping for this or that. A very small population. No moans from any politicos outside. It is allowed. Its little in terms of lost income here due to the 350 million passed over. Manchester is just not as important as London for revenue.

Sturgeon announces her five tiers today.

@Wight Flight pointed out the numbering system this week. It goes up for harsher control, meaning there is no upper limit. In England were still on three but the Scottish system has pushed it further with stronger restraints at a putative level 5. Were next down south.

Its planned. Designed to look as though its not.

24 minutes ago, The Grey Man said:

I know this was posted months back.

The UK is acting not separately as four places. Its a petri dish on differing methods with feedback to London on how good or bad they are. Good or bad measured by a variety of means.

I would think keeping London open is their priority in terms on money earning.

Look at the issue with Manchester. Then look at Wales..no shopping for this or that. A very small population. No moans from any politicos outside. It is allowed. Its little in terms of lost income here due to the 350 million passed over. Manchester is just not as important as London for revenue.

Sturgeon announces her five tiers today.

@Wight Flight pointed out the numbering system this week. It goes up for harsher control, meaning there is no upper limit. In England were still on three but the Scottish system has pushed it further with stronger restraints at a putative level 5. Were next down south.

Its planned. Designed to look as though its not.

Indeed.  Months ago during the first lock down it appeared that Scotland, Wales and NI were following their own self designed systems and Boris was asked by a "journalist" about that fragmentation (on bbc radio and maybe one of the daily briefings) and he said no we're having constant discussions, we're all agreed and we're all in lock step. 

It sort of gave the game away but they do like to pretend they're independent.

Edited by twocents
4 minutes ago, twocents said:

Indeed.  Months ago during the first lock down it appeared that Scotland, Wales and NI were following their own self designed systems and Boris was asked by a "journalist" about that fragmentation (on bbc radio and maybe one of the daily briefings) and he said no we're having constant discussions, we're all agreed and we're all in lock step. 

It sort of gave the game away but they do like to pretend they're independent.

Personally, I would expect Boris to say publicly, "we're all agreed and we're all in lock step" even if they weren't. Did Boris add any strapline, such as "there are obviously subtle differences" ?

Edited by Hopeful
1 hour ago, twocents said:

The councils have seen the £millions on offer and now it's domino. 

It's never mind the virus and the businesses just give us the money.

This is a horrible thought but sadly quite true - councils are pulling a money and power grab for themselves that will sink private businesses and jobs. The £ funding of course goes to the council to control, dishing out to the favoured few (after their 'administration' cut of course). They'll then demand more money to help the remaining wasteland they preside over.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

This is a horrible thought but sadly quite true - councils are pulling a money and power grab for themselves that will sink private businesses and jobs. The £ funding of course goes to the council to control, dishing out to the favoured few (after their 'administration' cut of course). They'll then demand more money to help the remaining wasteland they preside over.

Do you think this means they won't be raising council tax 😂😂

5 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

We go live to our @Libspero on the ground for his views...

Thanks TGG..   I'm certainly not the only one,  at least two others here who live close by.  @mooncat69 @Chewing Grass

Personally not that interested..  it's not very much more restrictive that T2,  plus it was inevitable,  we are surrounded by Liverpool, Manchester and Lancashire.

It won't stop my current plans for half term..    I might have to be slightly more covert :ph34r:

Edited by Libspero
16 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Indeed the money to the councils now seems likely to be mainly for the councils themselves.   They'll still not fix the potholes in the roads though.

Rishi's extra £billions seems to be for businesses and workers or at least those that qualify.  I expect if businesses and workers go to the councils for a hand out they'll be told to go to the government and so on. 

The whole thing will likely turn out to be yet another offloading of responsibility to and fro and back and forth between governments, councils and businesses.

Edited by twocents
38 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Why five tiers? 

She only needed to go to four to be one up on Boris ¬¬

Boris is a bit stymied as if he uses Tiers 4 and/or 5 he'll be accused of too little to late and following the leader.

He'll probably opt for Tier 3A and Tier 3AA instead which will turn into Tier A and Tier DoubleA.  See Sturgeon get out of that one xD

Edited by twocents
10 hours ago, Hopeful said:

I hate speculating

But Gain of Function rsearch could make more infectious strains

Gain-of-Function Research: Background and Alternatives

Source:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK285579/

Good background in the following article re MERS and SARS

Ban on gain-of-function studies ends

Source:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(18)30006-9/fulltext

TBH, out of everything, this is my, personal, biggest concern

Personally I would sleep better if gain of function was banned. But then I read that it is intended to predict natural evolution of viruses and help increase our preparedness and resilience to future outbreaks.

I will sleep better now especially knowing that the ultra wealthy are investing so much of their vast wealth and time keeping us safe. There’s nothing to worry about.

https://youtu.be/ELP2EFVOOYc

5 hours ago, 201p said:

34762278-8872201-image-a-133_16034744884

Many images at link

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8872201/Welsh-Minister-Mark-Drakeford-snaps-criticism-firebreak-rules.html

Crackdown of the trolley police: Now LIDL covers its famous middle aisle as Tesco staff in Wales COVER UP kettles and bedding on shelves after 'power mad' First Minister Mark Drakeford bans sale of 'non-essential' items and English police patrol border

Stores being told they are unable to sell items such as clothes to shoppers and to prioritise other products

Police checkpoints will be set up on a key section of the Wales-England border, officers have confirmed 

Controversial Welsh 'firebreak' lockdown featuring harsher restrictions runs from Friday until November 9 

Many retailers being forced to close down as a result of Welsh First Minister Mark Drakeford's drastic action 

But Government unable to provide clarity on what is 'essential' nor how enforcement of the rules would look like

The next episode of Supermarket Sweep is going to be a massive let down

image.jpeg.3e7f57865ba7bd608545986b3059f133.jpeg

I've spent this evening listening to this podcast from Mike Yeadon, hosted by James Delingpole, long, but worthwhile.

I don't think it has been posted on here, but perhaps I've missed it.

Clearly he knows his stuff, but the element that I found interesting was his assertion that there would not be a second wave, at least not with a Gompertz curve.  He suggested that the only second wave of a virus in history was the Spanish flu and that this was due to the mass movement in people rather than any inherent nature of viruses.  I guess this doesn't rule out a seasonal effect, like flu/colds, etc., but nothing as terrifying as has been predicted.

Also, interesting commentary on immunity and testing.  He thinks that 30% of us would have had immunity at the start, due to the overlap with other corona viruses and that the testing regime only picks up those that have antibodies, which, he sees as the last resort of the body in fighting off a virus.

He previously worked alongside Sir Patrick Vallance and doesn't pull his punches.  On several occasions he flat out accuses "Pat" of lying and challenges him to sue him if he disagrees.

Very long, but I found it very informative and he is an engaging speaker.

3 hours ago, Inigo said:

I've spent this evening listening to this podcast from Mike Yeadon, hosted by James Delingpole, long, but worthwhile.

I don't think it has been posted on here, but perhaps I've missed it.

Clearly he knows his stuff, but the element that I found interesting was his assertion that there would not be a second wave, at least not with a Gompertz curve.  He suggested that the only second wave of a virus in history was the Spanish flu and that this was due to the mass movement in people rather than any inherent nature of viruses.  I guess this doesn't rule out a seasonal effect, like flu/colds, etc., but nothing as terrifying as has been predicted.

Also, interesting commentary on immunity and testing.  He thinks that 30% of us would have had immunity at the start, due to the overlap with other corona viruses and that the testing regime only picks up those that have antibodies, which, he sees as the last resort of the body in fighting off a virus.

He previously worked alongside Sir Patrick Vallance and doesn't pull his punches.  On several occasions he flat out accuses "Pat" of lying and challenges him to sue him if he disagrees.

Very long, but I found it very informative and he is an engaging speaker.

Many thanks for posting this. There is no pandemic, that's the only conclusion I can come up with after listening to it. 

9 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

It`s selective understanding that`s the problem if it fits their narrative it`s well thought out science if it don`t it bollocks even if it`s coming from someone with decades of experience in that field 

I think we can all be guilty of that at times, but if someone comes back with a convincing argument (and supports it with evidence) then I am prepared to change my opinion. Likewise, if I challenge something I usually do the same, and after a few attempts if they choose to ignore/sidestep it I leave them in their ignorance....what is it they say, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"?