DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

An interesting fact about them that I may have already dropped upon the Interesting Facts thread is that the reason they build the dams is for their own safety.  If they are living in a narrow river than a predator can easily hunt them down but if they create a big pool by building a dam then they only have to find their way back to the pool, and the underwater entrance to the lodge, to be safe.

Lots more natural large pools along our smaller rivers will create many more havens (the word is a cliché but it fits) for nature.  I'm all in favour as it's reintroducing an extinct native species rather than bringing in some alien species that was never part of of the ecosystem here (knotweed, mink, rhododendron etc.).

They are already established in I think west Devon.

22 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I'm sure some people have read too many Narnia stories.

I think these things will be a bloody nuisance, and will need culling.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-53807870?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england&link_location=live-reporting-story

Beavers to return to Cheshire after almost 500 years

They alter (return, really) the environment to a state which is conducive to the return of endangered and locally extinct species.

I personally look forward to the inevitable return of sabre-toothed tigers and woolly mammoths to Cheshire

3 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Surely it would be better to reintroduce wolf packs and add a little spice to the lives of the dogging community? 

I think that's another daft idea that has been floated.

9 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I think that's another daft idea that has been floated.

I think that one is less daft than beavers, but perhaps should be restricted to the Scottish Highlands. Wolf packs genuinely change the environment  where there are an excessive number of deer - some great films here explaining the effects of bringing them back to Yellowstone. 

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all
5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

An interesting fact about them that I may have already dropped upon the Interesting Facts thread is that the reason they build the dams is for their own safety.  If they are living in a narrow river than a predator can easily hunt them down but if they create a big pool by building a dam then they only have to find their way back to the pool, and the underwater entrance to the lodge, to be safe.

Lots more natural large pools along our smaller rivers will create many more havens (the word is a cliché but it fits) for nature.  I'm all in favour as it's reintroducing an extinct native species rather than bringing in some alien species that was never part of of the ecosystem here (knotweed, mink, rhododendron etc.).

They are already established in I think west Devon.

Interesting. Wonder if they build from instinct.?... they're preprogrammed? nature / nurture.

2 hours ago, Captain Cavey said:

Interesting beaver fact:  Amongst many other uses, you can flavour ice cream with their “anal glands”.  

I've got my own thanks. 

11 hours ago, MrPin said:

I'm sure some people have read too many Narnia stories.

I think these things will be a bloody nuisance, and will need culling.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-53807870?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england&link_location=live-reporting-story

Beavers to return to Cheshire after almost 500 years

Is this a thread about the Cheshire Houswives series?