DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Did you know you can have two things on your screen at once?

I only found out a couple of months ago, just occurred to me now that I should spread the word. 

Just pull up from the bottom, or hit the circle, then when your open apps appear pick the one you want and press the icon at the top (YouTube app say) and hit "Split screen", then select another app (a browser with dosbods on it) and voila- you can now have a YouTube video playing while you post shit. 

You can adjust each frame so you have 25/75, 50/50, 75/25.

Just brilliant, handy for work too- an email app open along with whatever other app has the info you need to write your email, etc, etc. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, spunko said:

It's from Android 10 onwards so if your phone is older it won't support it.

Pretty sure I had it on my old phone and that was still Android 9.

Here's a guide from April '19 so maybe before Android 10, fuck knows though, it doesn't make it clear immediately :

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-use-split-screen-on-android

Edited by Carl Fimble
Adding the link
44 minutes ago, MrPin said:

and connecting a computer to the internet. the rest of the functions are useless tat.

If you've got a computer and a phone then of course the phone is useless apart from offering comms to the computer. It's when you haven't got a computer the phone functions become useful. It's a lifestyle thing if you are always near a computer then you see it differently from if you are rarely near a computer.

1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

Did you know you can have two things on your screen at once?

I only found out a couple of months ago, just occurred to me now that I should spread the word. 

Just pull up from the bottom, or hit the circle, then when your open apps appear pick the one you want and press the icon at the top (YouTube app say) and hit "Split screen", then select another app (a browser with dosbods on it) and voila- you can now have a YouTube video playing while you post shit. 

You can adjust each frame so you have 25/75, 50/50, 75/25.

Just brilliant, handy for work too- an email app open along with whatever other app has the info you need to write your email, etc, etc. 

Don't know if it is standard Android but my phone has a complete second virtual phone with its own second desktop. Works but I don't bother as too confusing.

I was doing by accident too, not sure it's much use on my 4.7" screen but I do like having.  

The thing I'm having difficulty with is the Moto g that my dad recently got keeps going to assisted mode.  I managed to work out how to turn off and on (iirc the screen on side button).  The thing is he's really old and finds it hard enough to navigate at the best of times - I've tried to explain to hold down and count to 3 but really wonder why the hell it's so easy to access in the first place.

Maybe I'm missing something as haven't had a lot of time to babysit every tech issue he has but it's definitely better having the split screen rather than some Android start talking at you (least in English apparantly it was Chinese initially)

Ex cellent. Thanks Carl. I had a vague awareness of its existence, but hadn't explored it. Am now listening ing to  video in the left half and typing this in the right half. (Landscape). Will be very useful to enable continuity of YouTube listening while simultaneously doing something else. Not entirely sure how to change the content of the lect hand window, though ... 

18 minutes ago, DocH said:

Ex cellent. Thanks Carl. I had a vague awareness of its existence, but hadn't explored it. Am now listening ing to  video in the left half and typing this in the right half. (Landscape). Will be very useful to enable continuity of YouTube listening while simultaneously doing something else. Not entirely sure how to change the content of the lect hand window, though ... 

I think whichever of the two apps you pick first is always displayed in the top, or in the LHS if you're using it in landscape. 

It is handy, I use it quite often now I know about it. 

30 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I think whichever of the two apps you pick first is always displayed in the top, or in the LHS if you're using it in landscape. 

It is handy, I use it quite often now I know about it. 

Buy a computer, and look at the internet on that. Much easier on the eye.

4 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Maybe i'm comparing apples and oranges, but the main thing android has made me realize is what an utter load of crap microsoft windows has become. I liked 95, and it was ok up to XP. Since then it seems to be a constant slide from bad to worse.

Android is pretty good, but definately designed for a touch screen. It's easily as good as Apple.