DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Car Review Time - RR Evoque PHEV

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The car that makes you look like a wanker but feel unjustifiably virtuous? Leaving aside image stuff they're one of the most unreliable brands afaik.

Jacked up Ford Mondeo styled by Victoria Beckham?    It’s alright if you’re into that kind of thing..   smacks of style over substance to me,  but they’re fashionable and will look good on the

Thats a practical option for a family car isn't it. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

The car that makes you look like a wanker but feel unjustifiably virtuous?

Leaving aside image stuff they're one of the most unreliable brands afaik.

I was under that impression and then read BMW and Audi are even worse. 

My preference would be to stick with our Auris Estate & Auris hatch and replace with the Corolla Hybrid Estate in a year or two. 

However Mrs B has her sights set higher and as the higher earner of the two of us I know its only a matter of time. She was looking at the freaking IPACE at £70K but decided that was too much and the Tesla Model 3 is too small. 

In principle the RR PHEV would suit as most of our journeys areunder 50 miles and she can charge for free at work. 

At least the Evoque is bolted together in the UK which ticks my made in the Uk preference. Id be interested to know what fuel economy you get off that 1.5 litre unit on long journeys in conventional hybrid mode. 

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

You need to ask?

Why not? 

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Surprised a bodder would even want one, but then saw your Mrs fancies it. 

Make sure she has breakdown cover xD

My preference if we have to go new would be one of these. The 2.0L version is pretty quick as well. 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/corolla-touring-sports/

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

Jacked up Ford Mondeo styled by Victoria Beckham? 

It’s alright if you’re into that kind of thing..   smacks of style over substance to me,  but they’re fashionable and will look good on the drive if you need to keep up with Amilie’s mum from the tennis club o.O

Wants to keep up with all the Billericay Cunsters up to their balls / fofo's in DEBT

28 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

My wife had one. We never had any major issues with it during her ownership. In the first few months an error message warning of low battery would display on start up. The battery was replaced which had no effect, some software issue apparently. The dealer lent us a Range Rover Sport for a week while they played with the Evoque. 

After that it was faultless.

Couple of things my wife didn't like that she found. 

1. The steep angle of the "A" pillar and the size of drivers door mirror gave a blind spot that necessitated being very careful entering a roundabout or turning left from a junction.
  2. There was a delay when moving from standstill. You had to ensure there was a long gap when entering a traffic flow. 

Apart from those irritations the car was great, comfortable, economical, well equipped.  

9 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Jacked up Ford Mondeo styled by Victoria Beckham? 

It’s alright if you’re into that kind of thing..   smacks of style over substance to me,  but they’re fashionable and will look good on the drive if you need to keep up with Amilie’s mum from the tennis club o.O

Id prefer to hang on - its looking like they want to offer her some national process safety role which will involve some travel and therefore a lease car. 

Interestingly:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/cars/leasing/product/202005189385855?leaseOption=6_36_8000&advertisingLocation=at_lease_new_car&advertisingLocation=at_lease_virtual_car&pageNumber=1&showTermFilters=false&showSearchFilters=false&sort=lease-monthly-price-asc&model=RANGE ROVER EVOQUE&make=LAND ROVER

If it’s a company car,   Comcar is you’re friend:

https://comcar.co.uk/companycar/tax/select/?make=Land+Rover&model=Range+Rover+Evoque+New&fueltype=plug-in+hybrid

Car tax is comparable to most.

If you want to be tax efficient and don’t mind something smaller the merc A class could save you some cash:

https://comcar.co.uk/companycar/tax/select/?make=Mercedes-Benz&model=A-Class&fueltype=plug-in+hybrid

I can’t comment on the Evoque PHEV because I’ve not been in one..  I would imagine the performance and feel is probably similar to the Outlander PHEV since they are the same BHP, shape, and probably similar weight.  It will shift,  but they are big heavy cars..  handle surprisingly well,  probably because the batteries give them a low CofG.

Any of them will be perfectly fine..  so if your wife likes it and it’s a company car,  why not.  If you want to try to save some cash,  consider all electric or something smaller..  comcar is your friend.

If it's a company car and you are on HMRC mileage rates then the 2.5 litre Lexus/Toyota engine is a cracker. 21p/mile - for a £70 fill-up you only need to do 333 miles. After that it's pure profit. It's a great loop-hole. It actually pays to have a big engine.

HMRC are still assuming that an engine that big would get 20-something mpg. But they get more than twice that in hybrid form. It almost pays my company car tax.

2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Give it a while and I’II be having to provide unwelcome counsel to people on here that their Range Rover ownership has veered into an unhealthy obsession that’s detached itself from rational perspective.

Strange times indeed.

As I'm the only one who's mentioned owning an Evoque I fail to see what I've posted can be construed as an unhealthy obsession. 

Can you explain?

2 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Polestar 2? Getting good reviews and made by (Chinese-owned) Volvo so should be reliable.

https://www.polestar.com/uk/polestar-2

2021-polestar-2-037.jpg

While the UK still has a car manufacturing sector (I know its foreign owned) my preference is for one built here. 

Apparently Renault - NISSAN  are going to move the Kadjar production to Sunderland? 

48 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

My wife had one. We never had any major issues with it during her ownership. In the first few months an error message warning of low battery would display on start up. The battery was replaced which had no effect, some software issue apparently. The dealer lent us a Range Rover Sport for a week while they played with the Evoque. 

After that it was faultless.

Couple of things my wife didn't like that she found. 

1. The steep angle of the "A" pillar and the size of drivers door mirror gave a blind spot that necessitated being very careful entering a roundabout or turning left from a junction.
  2. There was a delay when moving from standstill. You had to ensure there was a long gap when entering a traffic flow. 

Apart from those irritations the car was great, comfortable, economical, well equipped.  

With a 100 bhp electric motor assisting the engine that shouldn't be an issue. Which engine did she have. 

Just now, Kurt Barlow said:

While the UK still has a car manufacturing sector (I know its foreign owned) my preference is for one built here. 

Apparently Renault - NISSAN  are going to move the Kadjar production to Sunderland? 

Pleased to hear it! Toyota are launching a new range of electric vehicles next year if the missus can hold on, not sure if they'll be made in Sunderland though.

2 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Pleased to hear it! Toyota are launching a new range of electric vehicles next year if the missus can hold on, not sure if they'll be made in Sunderland though.

Toyota are at Derby. NISSAN at Sunderland. 

We have had several long Uk trips this summer and an EV would be a PITA. PHEV or Hybrid a happy compromise. Our Auris Estate (Hybrid) does 55mpg on long motorway runs.