DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

A devisive topic. I hate them. Spiders outside no issues with...on the whole.

Found some orb weavers years ago in my allotment coldframe. Squished.

Other than that I leave them alone.

Those skinny long ones, small body, in the house. Leave them alone. They catch stuff. Loads in the cellar. Fine

House spiders...those biggies..I hate. No wish to settle my anxiety and come to terms with my dislike. Yeah they will probably save the worlds environment. Not in my house. As I have aged I can now squish them with a clenched fist if nothing else available.

Two tonight. Two more in the past week. A good house spider is a dead house spider.

Let them live. They breed. End of. A Nazi spiderist is I. No apologies.

Even more screwed up. You hate them and put them outside...just to slink back in...err?

I guss the weather change has tricked them into thinking it is Autumn.

Fine. I am ready.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are spot on there mind Francis. Not just spiders, but any creepy-crawly you care to mention. Our house has been bug free for five years thanks to Mrs XYY's pussy...   XYY

I used to have a Mexican Red rump tarantula. I came home late one night and she was in the process of shedding. Sat up and watched it for hours. It was absolutely fascinating and I was left with a per

A western problem the world over, we are urban and too many are now too far removed from nature and so too many do not understand how nature works. It's not serving us well, presently.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I once heard a house spider as it jumped down my stairs. A big 'un. And when I picked it up it bit me, which was also a surprise.

But I still love them. Spiders are awesome.

If only they were like bees, and made jam or something.

I’m the household spider whisperer and get called to transfer them outside. My party trick is to let the big ones crawl over my face - mostly to get the over-the-top screamy flappy reaction from the missus. Never been bitten though.

Don’t mind inoffensive non-dangerous spiders. Even those monstrous things that some people keep in the house on purpose in Oz because they kill and eat the more dangerous smaller spiders - Huntsman spiders or something like that. Bit scary and don’t want to touch them but they’re doing something useful. 

But the poisonous dangerous ones of all sizes can be wiped from the earth afaiac. 

6 hours ago, The Grey Man said:

A devisive topic. I hate them. Spiders outside no issues with...on the whole.

Found some orb weavers years ago in my allotment coldframe. Squished.

Other than that I leave them alone.

Those skinny long ones, small body, in the house. Leave them alone. They catch stuff. Loads in the cellar. Fine

House spiders...those biggies..I hate. No wish to settle my anxiety and come to terms with my dislike. Yeah they will probably save the worlds environment. Not in my house. As I have aged I can now squish them with a clenched fist if nothing else available.

Two tonight. Two more in the past week. A good house spider is a dead house spider.

Let them live. They breed. End of. A Nazi spiderist is I. No apologies.

Even more screwed up. You hate them and put them outside...just to slink back in...err?

I guss the weather change has tricked them into thinking it is Autumn.

Fine. I am ready.

I really can't see the point of killing anything unecessarily.

Spiders, like all life, are an utter amazement to me, part of the joy of being alive myself, all the biological processes, physiology, behaviour that are going on, just trying to understand it, I will never tire. I couldn't squat that. I've got no issues with any UK spiders.

Killed a hornet this year that was building a nest in the living room, hated doing it, beautiful creatures. But the hornet would have soon thought the living room was its space and not my space. So In Australia I might squat a black widow if it was in the wrong place.

Edited by Hopeful
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

If you don't want spiders in your house then get a cat because they naturally catch anything that moves.

I catch them, spiders that is rather than cats, and drop them out of the window.

You are spot on there mind Francis.

Not just spiders, but any creepy-crawly you care to mention.

Our house has been bug free for five years thanks to Mrs XYY's pussy...

XYY

I tend to just whisk around the house with a duster occasionally taking out their houses,  but I don’t make any conscious effort to go after the owners..  they just don’t bother me that much.

If they scare the kids they get squashed though..  I’m too lazy to go about rehoming them.

Wasp nests on the other hand..   I’m taking great pleasure killing those vicious little shits. Turns out one squirt of WD40 kills em stone dead o.O

53 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

We are under siege with the buggers. Especially the garage badly converted to a bedroom with trailling plants all over the outside.

Mrs Flight hates them, and is very efficient with her mini vac. They don't stand a chance.

I like them.  Lots of spiders mean a toxic free living environment in my mind. I'd be worried if there was no spiders in the house. What chemicals are keeping them away? 

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

If you don't want spiders in your house then get a cat because they naturally catch anything that moves.

I catch them, spiders that is rather than cats, and drop them out of the window.

Our cat enjoys catching and eating spiders. It's the only benefit I can think of right now. Normally she tries to trip me up on the stairs or leave regurgitated mice on the kitchen floor.

3 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I like them.  Lots of spiders mean a toxic free living environment in my mind. I'd be worried if there was no spiders in the house. What chemicals are keeping them away? 

Living in Australia, you have to be mindful of which spiders you kill.  There will always be some coming in the house, so the question is do you want to kill the less harmful ones and let something worse maybe come in?

So - I leave huntsmen (even though they freak my hindbrain out) and daddy long legs, and ALWAYS leave jumping spiders.  Kill redbacks, whitetails, and mouse spiders.

I found a mouse spider in the garage back in march that took three blows with a hammer before it stopped moving.  And it was a big fucking hammer.

14 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I used to have a Mexican Red rump tarantula. I came home late one night and she was in the process of shedding. Sat up and watched it for hours. It was absolutely fascinating and I was left with a perfectly formed shell of her previous body. 

What do you feed them? I'm sure they are a bit more interesting than stick insects.