DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Again.. Stupid exhaust noises

This is getting more and more common.

I’m in the pub having a quiet pint and hear what sounds like me having a shit after a chicken vindaloo..

I look back and there’s a Nissan micra doing about 20 sounding like a Lamborghini misfiring. 

These wankers obviously do it for attention. But I wonder why the government don’t change MOT requirements to check for something like this? It’s noise pollution after all.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to be dismissive of those kids who spent a fortune modifying their crap car and wondered why they just didn't buy a better car in the first place. However, the situation in Germany is that

I was in an identical situation to the start of your story a few years back and I only wish it had been a fucking car backfiring.....

This is getting more and more common. I’m in the pub having a quiet pint and hear what sounds like me having a shit after a chicken vindaloo.. I look back and there’s a Nissan micra doing ab

Posted Images

It's always been the case with kids in their Corsas and Micras, you can hardly blame them they're young and stupid, although I think it's far less common now, all the youngsters I work with drive very boring, unmodified, diesel hatchbacks.

What really gets me is the rise in ''mature'' people driving expensive high end cars that sound ridiculous, the infamous DSG fart on performance VAG's, the entirely fake sounding Merc A45's and just the other day when walking the dog I heard what I assumed was a neighbours 35 year old diesel DAF which has a permanent missfire and a hole in the manifold come trundling and farting up the lane behind me, I was quite surprised to turn around and see BMW M4.

I was following a Hyundai i30N with an exhaust which sounded fake. Driver kept revving the engine unnecessarily. He looked very young, probably just acquired said motor. 

I lost even more respect for him when he overtook a cyclist right on the bend of a left hand junction. O.o

6 hours ago, sam1994 said:

I’m in the pub having a quiet pint and hear what sounds like me having a shit after a chicken vindaloo..

I look back and there’s a Nissan micra doing about 20 sounding like a Lamborghini misfiring. 

I was in an identical situation to the start of your story a few years back and I only wish it had been a fucking car backfiring.....

Edited by JoeDavola
12 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

But it’s not just kids. Someone on here the other day (and let’s face it most on here are at least 45) was proudly saying their ordinary car has the exhaust that makes that backfire/crackle sound as if it were a racing car. 

I missed that one..   

The thing is,  while I have sympathy with people who want peace and quiet,  a blast of engine noise lasts about 30 seconds then it’s gone.  It’s a minor irritation and the sound of someone else having fun.

I guess I’m more in the people watching “live and let live” camp rather than “ban everything” camp.

Perhaps my views reflect my still being under 45  :P

Not more moaning about modern cars... as per other thread, regulation killed off natural engine sounds so manufacturers have had to look at other ways. I test drove a sporty number yesterday, petrol but sounded like a diesel, when the exhaust was not "active". 

If only we could all buy V8s still...

9 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I missed that one..   

The thing is,  while I have sympathy with people who want peace and quiet,  a blast of engine noise lasts about 30 seconds then it’s gone.  It’s a minor irritation and the sound of someone else having fun.

I guess I’m more in the people watching “live and let live” camp rather than “ban everything” camp.

Perhaps my views reflect my still being under 45  :P

Live and let live in peace, maybe? Not generally in favour of banning stuff but noisy jet skis, motorbikes and cars aren’t a favourite.

It would be easy to make the sound internal to the car/rider/driver so they could still have their “fun”, but these people are actually getting fun out of imagining what others are thinking when they hear the noise (“You cunt”, in my case) - they’re wanting to say “look at me” . Ironically many people who ride loud motorbikes, quite a few Dosbodders do judging by bike threads, are critical of “look at me” type people who post on Facebook and the like, but the people who hear their machines don’t get a choice, no-one is forced to look at social media. 

19 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Live and let live in peace, maybe? Not generally in favour of banning stuff but noisy jet skis, motorbikes and cars aren’t a favourite.

Perhaps..

We live on a fairly busy back road and you always get the odd boy racer during the day or noisy motorbike at 3am.

I guess it simply doesn't bother me that much,  I like to hear other people enjoying themselves. 

Plus we can't really criticise..   our kids make far more noise laughing and screeching in the back garden 9_9

Edited by Libspero
27 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

It would be easy to make the sound internal to the car/rider/driver so they could still have their “fun”, but these people are actually getting fun out of imagining what others are thinking when they hear the noise (“You cunt”, in my case) - they’re wanting to say “look at me” . Ironically many people who ride loud motorbikes, quite a few Dosbodders do judging by bike threads, are critical of “look at me” type people who post on Facebook and the like, but the people who hear their machines don’t get a choice, no-one is forced to look at social media. 

The loud exhaust on bikes is so dopey cunts in cars hear you alongside them.

I agree that some are obnoxiously loud and chances are they’ve removed the baffles from an aftermarket exhaust, which is pure twattery, but stock exhausts are too quiet.

Edited by SNACR
32 minutes ago, SNACR said:

The loud exhaust on bikes is so dopey cunts in cars hear you alongside them.

I agree that some are obnoxiously loud and chances are they’ve removed the baffles from an aftermarket exhaust, which is pure twattery, but stock exhausts are too quiet.

The mind boggles as to what noise that most deadly of contraptions, the Electric motorbike (not bicycles or mopeds) should make as they do not posses the Doppler effect as a safety function.

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

guess it simply doesn't bother me that much,  I like to hear other people enjoying themselves. 

I hear (no pun intended) that some people like to angle grind at 8am.

We live such fast paced, over crowded and stressed out lives now that it doesn't take much to turn us into...... 

Falling_Down_(1993_film)_poster.jpg

21 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

The sound of a Rover V8 on straight pipes makes my day. 

I could theoretically  create the sound of over a hundred idling simultaneously but I fear one of the earlier ones would have overheated, or shat itself in some other way, long before I got to starting the hundredth.

10 minutes ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

A hundred Range Rovers?

That explains where all the ex-PCP cars end up.

No, that would be silly, only about seventy would be Range Rovers the rest are Discos, 110s, Morgans, MGB, actual Rover saloons.

If they’d done PCP back then at the end of 3 years on an SD1 they’d have got a Presto carrier bag full of rust back.

Edited by SNACR
48 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I used to be dismissive of those kids who spent a fortune modifying their crap car and wondered why they just didn't buy a better car in the first place.

However, the situation in Germany is that no modifications at all are allowed unless they have been approved by the TuV, which limits home made mods.

I have come to the realisation that kids dicking about with cars and modifying them in awful ways is actually the backbone of Britain and a result of our engineering heritage and why most of the F1 engineering teams are based in the UK.

It’s illegal in Germany to work on your car on your drive. Strange people, not as weird as the Swiss though.

10 hours ago, sam1994 said:

This is getting more and more common.

These wankers obviously do it for attention. But I wonder why the government don’t change MOT requirements to check for something like this? It’s noise pollution after all.

That reminds me, I must remove the clothes peg and playing card from my bicycle wheel, I've grown out of it now.

56 minutes ago, Inigo said:

However, the situation in Germany is that no modifications at all are allowed unless they have been approved by the TuV, which limits home made mods.

I have come to the realisation that kids dicking about with cars and modifying them in awful ways is actually the backbone of Britain and a result of our engineering heritage and why most of the F1 engineering teams are based in the UK.

Explains why Germany is so crap at engineering and they can't produce a decent road car.

Edited by Boglet