DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Worth mentioning this: https://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

my basic rule of thumb is to never heat any plant oil, just use them for dressing food you have already cooked. Since the cheap stuff like rape, corn and sunflower has no inherent flavour, the expensi

Some incredible stats and comparisons ,it also blows away some myths   

Posted Images

What about all the healthy old people in parts of Italy who guzzle olive oil all the time? And rosemary, from memory. 

It's 100% clear IMO the general American diet and lifestyle is shite for your health, because the average age of the Covid deaths there is lower than in Europe. But IMO all vegetable oils are not created equal and should not be lumped together.

IMO sugar and carbs are the real enemies of health. There are probably others but olive oil? Don't think so.

16 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

What about all the healthy old people in parts of Italy who guzzle olive oil all the time? And rosemary, from memory.

I think olive oil is considered separately from the seed oils that are being spoken of here:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141022103552.htm

Although the presenter might have been referring to both, I can't actually remember.

Edited by JoeDavola
28 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

It's 100% clear IMO the general American diet and lifestyle is shite for your health, because the average age of the Covid deaths there is lower than in Europe. But IMO all vegetable oils are not created equal and should not be lumped together.

IMO sugar and carbs are the real enemies of health. There are probably others but olive oil? Don't think so.

It`s as much to do with what you don`t get from seed oils such as vit A D  K2  which you get from animal fats and dairy ,also it`s about how the body deals with each fat ,seed oils are a fat that is stored which is hard to burn off,they way he explains it was akin to it`s your reserve tank it never get used unless you are starving   

Olive oil coconut oil etc he considers as healthier 

it`s the seed oils rape,sunflower cotton flower etc that he says are the major problem some of the lab experiments with rats produce some compelling evidence  it`s the omega 6 fat that is the problem 

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

IMO sugar and carbs are the real enemies of health.

image.thumb.png.ec3f6c9bd476142805be74514155a7b6.png

image.thumb.png.f4b372b6f647b77847a4982a3ec731ac.png

The percentage is the proportion of each tribes diet which is far higher carbs wise or fat wise than the west but cancer heart disease diabetes is almost unheard of and the same for obesity 

Edited by Long time lurking
17 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

The percentage is the proportion of each tribes diet which is far higher carbs wise or fat wise than the west but cancer heart disease diabetes is almost unheard of and the same for obesity 

I'll wager their gut bacteria are nothing like a developed world gut either, so not sure how relevant that stuff is. 

Anyway I eat almost no oils except olive oil, some nuts and butter/cream (loads) so this is preaching to the converted to some extent.

5 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I'll wager their gut bacteria are nothing like a developed world gut either, so not sure how relevant that stuff is. 

He goes into the complexities of how the body deals with Omega 6 fats after metabolising them  

If you watch the video it explains a lot, lab rats given the same calorific value diet it`s just different types of fat make up those calories  the difference is astonishing 

21 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

It`s as much to do with what you don`t get from seed oils such as vit A D  K2  which you get from animal fats and dairy ,also it`s about how the body deals with each fat ,seed oils are a fat that is stored which is hard to burn off,they way he explains it was akin to it`s your reserve tank it never get used unless you are starving   

Olive oil coconut oil etc he considers as healthier 

it`s the seed oils rape,sunflower cotton flower etc that he says are the major problem some of the lab experiments with rats produce some compelling evidence  it`s the omega 6 fat that is the problem 

Agree i think its the vitamins you arent getting that is the problem.D and K2 are critical to keep calcium in the bones and out of arteries.Iv been taking D/K2 for a few years now,but i got my dad (79) on it when covid hit and his over all health has improved greatly since.He can even cut his toe nails himself in the bath,something he hasnt been able to do for years.He looks 10 years younger.He also takes some vit c,zinc and fish oil.

I think a lot of the problem is also amounts and lifestyle.A lump of quality cod and chips in oil and batter isnt going to kill you and is packed with nutrients from the fish,but iv noticed a lot of the younger guys i work with eat take aways almost every day,their diets are terrible.

On 21/08/2020 at 16:59, Long time lurking said:

I guarantee they wont be eating refined carbs.

On 21/08/2020 at 16:08, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

My son has just started cooking and baking (got the bug off his dad :)), so he got the Fortninte cookbook for himself. Fucking hell. Example popcorn snack has butter, golden syrup, brown sugar and peanut butter in the ingredients. Make no wonder yanks are all keeling over with fucked up hearts so early in their lives.

7 hours ago, MrPin said:

Actually a true story @Hail the Tripod, @swiss_democracy_for_all. just one of those little headines I caught yesterday, on the BBC pages.

I had a 96 year old uncle who smoked from the age of 11. Even at 96 he still walked a mile each way to pick up his smokes from a shop that sold them 3p cheaper than the one round the corner. 

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I had a 96 year old uncle who smoked from the age of 11. Even at 96 he still walked a mile each way to pick up his smokes from a shop that sold them 3p cheaper than the one round the corner. 

That probably contributed a lot to making it to 96, even with the fags.

I'm still not sure of the Knobbe guy; however, I've been hearing things about unsaturated fats being bad for high temperature cooking for years. Don't pi bonds lock the rotation...when they desaturate during cooking, then they can rotate to form trans fats? I hadn't previously read that just using them in salads was bad! Why are monounsaturated oils thought OK?

What's the layman's answer? Bacon lard for frying? What about an oil for salad dressings? Up to now, I've been using Avocado oil for most things, but it is expensive and difficult to obtain.