DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Members whose work experience has led to an off-the-wall, sustainable lifestyle

Prompted by reading the post by an esteemed member of this forum (former betting shop manager turned independent gambler/investor), has anyone else been able to turn their professional experience into a left-field way of making a living? I am not talking about the IT geek who realised that he could play the tax system by becoming a contractor, but something more esoteric.

Apologies to @Democorruptcy if this thread does not meet with your approval.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Friend of mine asked me to explain what bukake was. So I gave her a demonstration instead.... ....you should have seen her face...

A mate of mine excelled at every hobby they had from falconry to Oil paintings and illustrations  At some point they have turned each one into to their living as a result they ended up hating bot

I knew a guy that sold roses in pubs. This was a long time ago btw. He had £8k in the bank. That was his float. Biz died a death after new years eve and he'd take himself off to the Canary Island

6 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Every single hobby I’ve had except metal detecting I’ve found a way of makeing money from it.even on line gaming.ps used to avarage about 1500/2k a year from selling detecting finds but it’s luck dependant.even my house made me 6/7k tax free from a lodger

After seeing some of your text conversations I’ve always thought you could make a few quid penning romantic pulp fiction @stokiescum😜👍

I knew a guy that sold roses in pubs. This was a long time ago btw.

He had £8k in the bank. That was his float. Biz died a death after new years eve and he'd take himself off to the Canary Islands or somewhere equally warm. After a few months of the high life, the depletion in his bank balance would cause alarm and he'd be back in the UK selling roses in pubs. He would stay in monk mode until he got his £8k float back. Then he would spend it as he earned it.

I heard a story about 10 years ago about a bloke with a crepe stand in St Georges Market in Belfast.

Only ran it for one day a week, Saturday, which is the busiest day. Lots of tourists and people on dates and all that shite.

Made enough money doing that one day a week apparently that he didn't have to work for the rest of the week.

Fair play to him.

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

I heard a story about 10 years ago about a bloke with a crepe stand in St Georges Market in Belfast.

Only ran it for one day a week, Saturday, which is the busiest day. Lots of tourists and people on dates and all that shite.

Made enough money doing that one day a week apparently that he didn't have to work for the rest of the week.

Fair play to him.

In a similar vein, a friend of my parents used to run a mobile tea, coffee and snacks van. They took it to festivals and conferences etc. for a few months a year and made a killing. The main thing was that they had to have a lot of cash up front to pay for the plots and supplies. NEC was apparently the best balance of hassle/profit and festivals in a field were nasty but the most lucrative.

Edited by TheBlueCat
3 hours ago, stokiescum said:

Every single hobby I’ve had except metal detecting I’ve found a way of makeing money from it.even on line gaming.ps used to avarage about 1500/2k a year from selling detecting finds but it’s luck dependant.even my house made me 6/7k tax free from a lodger

A mate of mine excelled at every hobby they had from falconry to Oil paintings and illustrations 

At some point they have turned each one into to their living as a result they ended up hating both 

They are an exceptional wildlife photographer and very talented writer they refuse to try to make a living out of it for the fear of ending up hating it ,even though they could make far more than they do working 

I think the moral of the story is a hobby soon becomes a chore when you have to do it

2 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I think the moral of the story is a hobby soon becomes a chore when you have to do it

Lots of people decide they love beekeeping and that they want to earn their living from it.

It's a shit job. Long hours. Hard physical graft. No guarantee as you are weather dependent as well as many other factors. 

1 hour ago, TheBlueCat said:

In a similar vein, a friend of my parents used to run a mobile tea, coffee and snacks van. They took it to festivals and conferences etc. for a few months a year and made a killing. The main thing was that they had to have a lot of cash up front to pay for the plots and supplies. NEC was apparently the best balance of hassle/profit and festivals in a field were nasty but the most lucrative.

I am seriously thinking of doing similar ,i have done it briefly in the past 

If you get it right it`s a real money maker ,but it`s also a hard game to get into even with paid for up front pitches it`s clicky but i think there will be a window of opportunity in the next few years if you have the right kit ready to go 

The first year really is shit or bust unless you have very deep pockets  

11 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

On a more abstract level both these examples represent the best way to achieve a good work life balance and minimize stress - find something that you can earn a high amount per hour for, even if there isn't 40 hours a week of that demand out there.

Beats 40-60 hours a week aggro in an office.

Another bloke I know does something to do with boilers, I think it's boiler maintenance or yearly inspections of boilers or something. Does an average of a couple a day and that's enough to tide him over. Piece of piss.

I suppose I can claim this in that I have taken information gained from my finance jobs, on tax and the stock markets, and used that to leverage my salary into sufficient investments to retire.

Whilst you would think a lot of finance people do this I can only think of one that I've met in my whole career who retired about 1994 and I'm not sure he was into tax avoidance.

Therefore I will also claim left-field upon the grounds of rarity.

12 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

On a more abstract level both these examples represent the best way to achieve a good work life balance and minimize stress - find something that you can earn a high amount per hour for, even if there isn't 40 hours a week of that demand out there.

Beats 40-60 hours a week aggro in an office.

Another bloke I know does something to do with boilers, I think it's boiler maintenance or yearly inspections of boilers or something. Does an average of a couple a day and that's enough to tide him over. Piece of piss.

Joe Dagigolo?

8 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Joe Dagigolo?

Richie:       Yeah, and you can shut up too -- Christ, Eddie, the psycho's
              coming round. Where's his leg?
Eddie:        Well... there it is, there!
Richie:       No no no, where's his other leg?
Eddie:        He hasn't got another leg!
Richie:       No, I mean quick, get down the pawn-shop and redeem his other
              leg!
Eddie:        Right, quick, give me five hundred quid!
Richie:       Right, quick, into the lavvies.
Eddie:        No, Richie! It's illegal! Besides, you'll never make five
              hundred quid that quick! You'd be lucky to get 10p a go!

@Frank Hovis and any other Bottom fans out there ;)