DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Just ordered a Paperwhite - have I done a bad thing?

Don’t really like e-readers but don’t like reading stuff from project Gutenberg on an iPad so have ordered a Paperwhite.

Too late now but have I done the right thing were there better options?

(I’m sure I could have obviously done something cheaper and better with a business laptop, rescued from a skip in the nineties, with Linux loaded on to it, and anything else is clearly decadent madness indicative of western civilisation’s decline, but apart from that.)

I've got one and it's great. You can use Calibre to convert ebooks without having to use Amazon's webstore and DRM. Reading on it is genuinely like looking at paper and reading on it is brilliant.

I'm a big fan of ePaper displays. Im not sure why we don't use them more often. Battery life, no glare, reflection or eye strain.

Enjoy

6 minutes ago, eta-carinae said:

I've got one and it's great. You can use Calibre to convert ebooks without having to use Amazon's webstore and DRM. Reading on it is genuinely like looking at paper and reading on it is brilliant.

I'm a big fan of ePaper displays. Im not sure why we don't use them more often. Battery life, no glare, reflection or eye strain.

Enjoy

:Old:

I'm currently reading a dystopian novel with some parallels to today.

The penultimate truth. 

Recommended if a bit weird. 

8 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

I'd heard they were shit for trying to read manuals or technical documents. Have I heard incorrectly? If so I may have to get one myself. 

Kindle are crap for pdf documents (use an ipad) but great for books in epub and mobi format where the text can flow and be formatted on the fly.

39 minutes ago, eek said:

Kindle are crap for pdf documents (use an ipad) but great for books in epub and mobi format where the text can flow and be formatted on the fly.

So my assumption was correct. 

I'd rather read a physical book than read from a tablet. I wish to prolong my eye sight. 

1 hour ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

I'd heard they were shit for trying to read manuals or technical documents. Have I heard incorrectly? If so I may have to get one myself. 

Depends on your eye sight.

I put A4 PDFs on and read them OK.

You can format for ebooks, were you can adjust the text size.

8 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Depends on your eye sight.

I put A4 PDFs on and read them OK.

You can format for ebooks, were you can adjust the text size.

They're a great concept but why are they so damn small? (physical screen size). Why can't they just make an A4 one? 

I tried our tech library on an older generation Amazon Kindle - complete waste of time unless you get a retina transplant from a bird of prey. 

8 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

They're a great concept but why are they so damn small? (physical screen size). Why can't they just make an A4 one? 

I tried our tech library on an older generation Amazon Kindle - complete waste of time unless you get a retina transplant from a bird of prey. 

Not the same demand from those wishing to use them for PDF etc compared to the huge demand for books ?

10 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

You can get a4 size ones but they are ££££££££

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BOOX-Note2-Frontlight-Fingerprint-Recognition/dp/B07ZFH5YS2/ref=pd_lpo_107_t_0/258-0583035-4835255?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07ZFH5YS2&pd_rd_r=4d30739e-bf8a-4182-a80f-ee5ec92e786a&pd_rd_w=QKOny&pd_rd_wg=puQ8B&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=AT8G4ABNX24NY77RYB0C&psc=1&refRID=AT8G4ABNX24NY77RYB0C

3 hours ago, eta-carinae said:

Enjoy

Can you recommend some sites for free books. :)

4 minutes ago, ccc said:

Not the same demand from those wishing to use them for PDF etc compared to the huge demand for books ?

Ive seen a few in legal and places where NDAs are rife.

They make IP control easy.

Just now, One percent said:

Can you recommend some sites for free books. :)

Project Guttenberg for the classics.

4 hours ago, ccc said:

:Old:

I'm currently reading a dystopian novel with some parallels to today.

The penultimate truth. 

Recommended if a bit weird. 

I managed that whole book in one sitting on a plane a couple of years back. Only pausing to stop the trolley dolly for a beer each time she went past.

Good times.

xD

2 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

I'd heard they were shit for trying to read manuals or technical documents.

You are correct in my experience. The real issue is that most technical manuals are pdf, and they don't reflow the text to fit the small display. Formats like epub are fine, but almost no text books are published as epub. PDFs can't be converted to the other formats very well, either, and quite a lot are just all image!

59 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I managed that whole book in one sitting on a plane a couple of years back. Only pausing to stop the trolley dolly for a beer each time she went past.

Good times.

xD

Long flight :)

The parallels to today without spoilers are a little :ph34r:

21 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

That could be just what I'm after. Although I'm a tight Yorkshire man, this could be a necessary purchase. Cheers 

Its not going to to have the battery life of a kindle, which run a render page then shutdown simple OS.

This is basically an Android tablet with a eink display.

4 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

For example,

Ive recently read the following on a paperwhite

https://css.csail.mit.edu/6.824/2014/papers/plan9.pdf

1 minute ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Sounds perfik

My ideal  would be a smart phone with an eink display, so I could use google maps and whatsapp  without draining the battery

4 hours ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Yes, because with manuals you are always flipping back and forth between sections. Novels are usually read sequentially.

I have seriously considered one only this week as my penchant for reading in the bath and then falling asleep has led to the demise of many a book before the end (they can usually last about 5 dunks before falling to bits). Although they are IPX6 waterproof reading the blurb dropping them in anything other than distilled water seems to be a no-no but that might just be covering themselves in event of failure and I don’t want one of those over bath shelve things. Anybody had any experience with kindles and baths?

18 minutes ago, Kwyjibo said:

Anybody had any experience with kindles and baths?

In the bath, you might be better of with a bluetooth speaker and an audible subscription (or text-to-speech software). This way you'll have your hands free. You can pause the playback on your laptop or phone via the buttons on the bluetooth speaker. Even if you find a waterproof e-reader, the condensation on the screen will render it illegible.

Edited by Nippy