• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Turned Out Nice Again

"Endurance" neoMasochism (going too far)

Recommended Posts

A startling number of friends and acquaintances - usually lardy or formerly so - are embracing the new fad of Xtreme endurance events, marathons (normal and ultra), triathlons alpine cycling, Himalyan climbing and the like with all the attendant risks and injuries ... when all they really needed to do to transform their lives was to eat a bit less and walk a bit more. Is this the new version of Monastic "mortification of the flesh" or is it a sexual thing? Latest victim below - this poor lunatic attempted an 87 mile road run, followed by a channel swim to conclude with a 181 mile bike ride - he pegged out on the swim. His body was telling him after the run "stop! don't do it. It's too far" but he didn't listen.

Channel swim victim Douglas Waymark 'wanted to try something new'

_97250016_16423179_10154920165241322_227

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-40875362

 

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

A startling number of friends and acquaintances - usually lardy or formerly so - are embracing the new fad of Xtreme endurance events, marathons (normal and ultra), triathlons alpine cycling and the like ... when all they really needed was to eat a bit less and walk a bit more. Is this the new version of Monastic "mortification of the flesh" or is it a sexual thing? Latest victim below - this fkn lunatic attempted an 87 mile road run, followed by a channel swim to conclude with a 181 mile bike ride - he pegged out on the swim. His body was telling him after the run "stop! don't do it" but he didn't listen. Poor bastard.

Channel swim victim Douglas Waymark 'wanted to try something new'

_97250016_16423179_10154920165241322_227

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-40875362

 

I think it's an existential angst thing brought on by changing roles in the modern world. Men (and maybe women too) evolved to be hunters of one sort or another and need some kind replacement activity. I do longish distance cycling (100M+) to scratch that itch although, unlike this guy, I know my limits pretty well (been doing it for 30+ years now) and don't push past what's safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I think it's an existential angst thing brought on by changing roles in the modern world. Men (and maybe women too) evolved to be hunters of one sort or another and need some kind replacement activity. I do longish distance cycling (100M+) to scratch that itch although, unlike this guy, I know my limits pretty well (been doing it for 30+ years now) and don't push past what's safe.

I think you've got something there - desperate efforts to add meaning to a pointless existence. it used to be that life was enough of a challenge in itself. And there were real adventures for those that needed more:

web_ShackletonAdWeb1837x1329.png

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I blame the rise of marathons.

A sports scientists or somesuch I heard on the radio talking about these said that whilst there was nothing wrong with doing one marathon you should leave it at that.  Keep doing them and you will damage your body, mainly heart, back, hips and knees, rather than improving it.

If you want to run healthily run 5km as that has the right mixture of speed and endurance, or at most 10km.

Since the 90s however marathons have become an everyday thing, not worthy of note, so people have been pushing on.

I have known three people, all men, who do these 60 mile upwards ultra runs.  When I knew them one was early 40s, one early 50s and one early 60s.  They all looked old before their time - grey tinge to the skin caused by the heart damage form these runs - with the oldest one having his eyes sunk so far back into his head it must have been like looking through a tunnel.

They probably though they looked great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I blame the rise of marathons.

A sports scientists or somesuch I heard on the radio talking about these said that whilst there was nothing wrong with doing one marathon you should leave it at that.  Keep doing them and you will damage your body, mainly heart, back, hips and knees, rather than improving it.

If you want to run healthily run 5km as that has the right mixture of speed and endurance, or at most 10km.

Since the 90s however marathons have become an everyday thing, not worthy of note, so people have been pushing on.

I have known three people, all men, who do these 60 mile upwards ultra runs.  When I knew them one was early 40s, one early 50s and one early 60s.  They all looked old before their time - grey tinge to the skin caused by the heart damage form these runs - with the oldest one having his eyes sunk so far back into his head it must have been like looking through a tunnel.

They probably though they looked great.

I quite like the sprint triathlon: 0.5k - 0.75k swim, 20k cycle, 5k run. It's enough to feel like you've had a thorough workout and gain a sense of achievement without having to train to a particularly high degree in any individual discipline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sick to bloody death of hearing about these XXXtreme Enduro Uber Masculine IronBollocks 2017 events. I don't care about your weighted backpack or anything else. What can possibly be worse than crawling through shit until you're crying in pain, while being screamed at by a burly northerner? Paying £300 for the fucking privilege!

If you want to join the army, please just do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I am sick to bloody death of hearing about these XXXtreme Enduro Uber Masculine IronBollocks 2017 events. I don't care about your weighted backpack or anything else. What can possibly be worse than crawling through shit until you're crying in pain, while being screamed at by a burly northerner? Paying £300 for the fucking privilege!

If you want to join the army, please just do it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I've spotted this pattern; that whilst most people take virtually no exercise; the other group often take far too much of it and end up with a load of injuries or in the case of this chap getting themselves into situations that are life threatening.

I also noticed that many people who are big into exercise often don't look any healthier than the average joe, and often look less so - the long distance runners have been mentioned but amateur bodybuilder types often don't look terribly healthy either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was watching Naked Attraction last night, much to my shame! The bodybuilder looked absolutely ridiculous though, naked and clothed. I am so glad I'm not into these things and have other things to occupy my time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

I was watching Naked Attraction last night, much to my shame! The bodybuilder looked absolutely ridiculous though, naked and clothed. I am so glad I'm not into these things and have other things to occupy my time.

I live near the Ulser Hall in Belfast and there's a bodybuilding show there once or twice a year - when I pass it and see the competitors standing about outside most of them look somewhere between 'silly' and 'freakish' - and they've spent countless hours and ££ to look like that. Not that I'd say that to their face like ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

There was a woman on the local radio last week who is swimming around the UK coast. She only learned to swim a couple of weeks ago!

This is probably her. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-40519155

 

I heard that on the radio but thought I'd heard it wrongly.
 

Quote

 

She admits her latest challenge to swim from Land's End to John o' Groats and back may seem "a bit ridiculous since I've only recently learned to swim".

Now I know that the only thing that will make me fail is if I stop trying."

Over about five months she plans to cover 1,800 miles, swimming for six hours at a time, sometimes starting in the middle of the night to beat the tides.

 

 

Unless she has a full support crew the thing that will make her fail is drowning.

I used to be (not these days though) a strong swimmer and lifeguard but I've been in rough water where tidal drag and a mouthful of seawater when you try to breathe had me absolutely shattered in minutes and desperately clawing myself into shore.  There are areas of Cornwall where I would refuse to swim (Loe Bar at any time, Hayle estuary mouth when the tide's running strong).

This is a world away from swimming the channel with a support boat or David Walliams swimming down the Thames.  She has overdosed on self-help books and "This Girl Can" propaganda.

She's touched.  And not by greatness.

Edited by Frank Hovis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is the "strava" generation, or as a psychologist put it to me "middle aged blokes who lack social recognition". Basically the same side of the coin that pushes kids to do daft things on facebook.

I've always cycled, into work, down to the shops, I've been cycling since I could stand up pretty much. I do cycle in the Alps but I've lived here for years and tend to pace myself. I've got some middle aged friends who have taken up cycling recently, MAMILS they are called. If they go out for a ride it will be a macho beasting rather than a pleasure. I rarely ride with them because everything has to be crazy competitive.

Of course at 40+ your body can't do what it could do at 20. So frequently I get "I felt a twinge in my knee but I rode through it I'm so feckin' hard". Then a few weeks later I hear they are going for an IRM.

One guy went and the doctor said "Your knees are shot". Mate said "so how long do I have to take off the bike, I've the Ironman in a month then the Marmotte". Doctor "I'm not sure you heard me, your knees are shot". Mate: "so what do we have to do to fix it, keyhole surgery? something more serious." Doc "no your cartilage is worn out through over use, that's it, game over, finitio burrito hombre".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

 

I heard that on the radio but thought I'd heard it wrongly.
 

 

Unless she has a full support crew the thing that will make her fail is drowning.

I used to be (not these days though) a strong swimmer and lifeguard but I've been in rough water where tidal drag and a mouthful of seawater when you try to breathe had me absolutely shattered in minutes and desperately clawing myself into shore.  There are areas of Cornwall where I would refuse to swim (Loe Bar at any time, Hayle estuary mouth when the tide's running strong).

This is a world away from swimming the channel with a support boat or David Walliams swimming down the Thames.  She has overdosed on self-help books and "This Girl Can" propaganda.

She's touched.  And not by greatness.

Spot on. Coastal swimming is good but not for the weak, the ignorant or foolhardy, and some places must be avoided no matter how strong you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swissy_fit said:

Spot on. Coastal swimming is good but not for the weak, the ignorant or foolhardy, and some places must be avoided no matter how strong you are.

She seems to be visualising it as one swimming pool after another that she can just keep plugging her way through.  I namechecked the two places I know but there must loads of coastal races and riptides all the way down the coast.  I haven't heard of anyone swimming the Bristol Channel and the tidal races around the Scottish islands must be very powerful.

The most frightening sea I've seen was off the end of Portland Bill.  It wasn't windy or rough so the surface of the sea was calm which allowed me to see a continuous writhe of currents and swirls.  I'd jump in if I was on a burning boat and hope one current might chuck me onto the shore but that would be it; terrifying.  I don't know which way round she's going so she may miss that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davidg said:

It is the "strava" generation, or as a psychologist put it to me "middle aged blokes who lack social recognition". Basically the same side of the coin that pushes kids to do daft things on facebook.

I've always cycled, into work, down to the shops, I've been cycling since I could stand up pretty much. I do cycle in the Alps but I've lived here for years and tend to pace myself. I've got some middle aged friends who have taken up cycling recently, MAMILS they are called. If they go out for a ride it will be a macho beasting rather than a pleasure. I rarely ride with them because everything has to be crazy competitive.

Of course at 40+ your body can't do what it could do at 20. So frequently I get "I felt a twinge in my knee but I rode through it I'm so feckin' hard". Then a few weeks later I hear they are going for an IRM.

One guy went and the doctor said "Your knees are shot". Mate said "so how long do I have to take off the bike, I've the Ironman in a month then the Marmotte". Doctor "I'm not sure you heard me, your knees are shot". Mate: "so what do we have to do to fix it, keyhole surgery? something more serious." Doc "no your cartilage is worn out through over use, that's it, game over, finitio burrito hombre".

Interesting take on the lack of social recognition, hadn't thought of it that way.

I like exercise but ideally I'd do no more than about 45 mins a day of dedicated exercise (i.e. in a gym kinda thing), and outside of that I'd just be active i.e. walk and cycle at moderate paces to get me places instead of using a car.

Like you I love cycling but I hate cycling with people, as it becomes a bunch of blokes dressed as Power Rangers all trying to prove how fast they can go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Yeah I've spotted this pattern; that whilst most people take virtually no exercise; the other group often take far too much of it and end up with a load of injuries or in the case of this chap getting themselves into situations that are life threatening.

I also noticed that many people who are big into exercise often don't look any healthier than the average joe, and often look less so - the long distance runners have been mentioned but amateur bodybuilder types often don't look terribly healthy either.

I used to be a bit of a fitness and nutrition nerd. The thing that people don't generally realise is that all exercise is actually harmfully, its the adaptations that it triggers in your body afterwards that is beneficial. Hence there is a tipping point where your body doesn't have enough time to recover and so your doing active damage, I think this effect kicks in beyond about 5 hours intensive exercise a week.

Also the overall benefits of exercise are very non linear 1 hour a week gives you probably half the benefit of 4 hours.

Edited by goldbug9999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, goldbug9999 said:

I used to be a bit of a fitness and nutrition nerd. The thing that people don't generally realise is that all exercise is actually harmfully, its the adaptations that it triggers in your body afterwards that is beneficial. Hence there is a tipping point where your body doesn't have enough time to recover and so your doing active damage, I think this effect kicks in beyond about 5 hours intensive exercise a week.

Yeah apparently cortisol spikes after 45 mins of intense exercise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO people who are in to doing any sort of exercise or training to such extremes have an addiction very similar to alcohol and drugs, made worse by the fact that it's entirely socially acceptable and therefore there's not even a voice in the back of their heads telling them they ought to ease up a bit. I'm not talking about endorphins, but that they derive their entire sense of self worth from their activity, define their whole existence by it.

I have a family member in their late 40s who is into Iron Man and all sorts of crazy shit. All they want to talk about is their training, races, events, or whatever, and they get very upset if someone they are talking to is not suitably impressed and admiring. That same person will completely ignore any conversation from another person unless it's about sport - got a new job? No interest. Go a pay rise? No interest. Got a new girlfriend? Well I'm doing a 200k bike ride tomorrow. As a result, their whole social circle is comprised of fellow addicts. I don't use that term likely - list out the behaviour and characteristics of crack addicts, and you'll see the same in these people.

Most of them would benefit far more from meditation, but because their drug of choice is socially acceptable, they tend to look at you like you're the poor schmuck who doesn't "get it".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to work with a guy who claimed he was in the Territorial SAS.

He would frequently tell people this but would tell them to keep it quiet so he probably told just about everyone in the office individually.

I was always kind of dubious of his claims but he was nuts enough to be in the SAS and he was into showing off how fit he was by running extreme distances of 100 miles and such like.

I believe he caused major damage to his Heart as he had a massive Heart Attack and died when he was swimming a lake.

I just can't see how it can be good for you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mate of mine is currently cycling the Transcontinental race from Brussels to Greece.

He's doing well though the last time he tried it it just about killed him. One guy has actually died so far and last year the winners neck...erm...collapsed. How that's even possible I don't know, but it did.

It's quite an achievement but by fuck it's mental.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like hillwalking and mountains and find myself having to resist the urge to run, I think it would just feel too good. Running for a train or bus feels fantastically smooth, just a backward flick of the ankles really. Need to leave it at that.

Edited by Panther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Panther said:

I like hillwalking and mountains and find myself having to resist the urge to run, I think it would just feel too good.

I have been passed by people running at high speed up steep Alps that I am puffing and sweating to walk up. :( I'm not by any means unfit, or so I think, until that happens.

My strangest moment came a few years back  when I passed a cross-country skier who was ascending the piste I was descending fairly slowly (it was snowing heavily and visibility was iffy). The git was going up hill faster than I was coming down. Turned out he was training for the Winter Olympics.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, swissy_fit said:

I have been passed by people running at high speed up steep Alps that I am puffing and sweating to walk up. :( I'm not by any means unfit, or so I think, until that happens.

My strangest moment came a few years back  when I passed a cross-country skier who was ascending the piste I was descending fairly slowly (it was snowing heavily and visibility was iffy). The git was going up hill faster than I was coming down. Turned out he was training for the Winter Olympics.

 

That's like the bloke I mentioned above. He lives in the Alps and literally runs up mountains. It's an impressive spectacle to watch as he almost floats on the balls of his feet when he does it. I'm not exactly unfit, but next to this guy I look and feel like Jabba The Hutt, he's obscenely fit.

The bastard. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.