DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sport - Better without fans?

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

Maybe I'm a misogynist, but women commentating on cricket, rugby and football really irritates me and I'm not sure why.

You are not alone. Men's sports, men's commentary, everything else is diversity and equality forced down our throats.

England game this weekend, even after all we now know about BLM and Marxism, they are still going to take a knee! Try doing that with a crowd.

10 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

Maybe I'm a misogynist, but women commentating on cricket, rugby and football really irritates me and I'm not sure why.

Its because deep down we don't believe the ladies can actually understand and/ or be as passionate about the sport as us chaps. We want commentators to live and breath the sport and to give us some time alongside their knowledge and insight. In a quality commentator they will also have a turn of phrase or comedic touch that actually adds to the pleasure of the event. I am afraid in my 50 years alongside the opposite sex I am not sure any woman can do this in the sports i enjoy. 

8 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

women commentating on cricket, rugby and football really irritates me and I'm not sure why.

You've just made me think about how female presenters often tend to have deep voices...none are like Officer Hooks from Police Academy, so even TV companies are a bit misogynist wanting male traits in their female presenters. Who's got the the highest pitch voice? Lorraine Kelly? And Graham Norton beats her!

47 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

It's the unintended negative consequences of quotas.

If a quota is in place, then it stands to reason that someone that was eligible to have benefitted from that quota is more likely to be of a lesser ability than someone that could not have benefitted from the quota.

I've mentioned this before using surgeons as an example.

For example, if there are not enough surgeons with the initials B.C. and a quota is implemented, if the surgeon that is going to operate on your child has the initials B.C., you will automatically suspect that they may have benefitted from the quota, and so you will be suspicious of their ability.  You would be more comfortable if a surgeon with different initials were to operate on your child, as you know they have could not have benefitted from having the correct initials, and therefore, got their job based on ability alone.

Hence, the surgeons with the initials B.C. will be predudiced against - which is the complete opposite of the intention of the quota.

Applying this scenario in the case of female commentators on male sports, there is always a suspicion that a woman commentator only got the job because they are a woman, and therefore, got the job ahead of a better, male commentator.  Hence women commentators on male sports irritating people - me included.  (A lot of male commentators irritate me as well.)

I would have thought that one of the most important attributes to being a good sports commentator is to have partaken in the competitions they are commentating on.

I'm not a football fan, but I used to enjoy Soccer Saturday on Sky Sports as the presenters and commentators had an excellent rapport and I am really annoyed that Matt Le Tissier, and to a lesser extent, Charlie Nicholas, have been let go.  (I'm not bothered by Phil Thompson going as his bias annoyed me - I have wanted him to be replaced by Alan McInally for ages.)  I will be annoyed if a one of the new regular pundits for the upcoming season is female for the reason mentioned above.  I'm intending to cancel Sky Sports shortly as the cricket will soon be over for a few months, but if I am asked why I am cancelling, I will say that the reason is due to the sacking of the Matt Le Tissier.  Fuck Sky.

1 hour ago, Alonso Quijano said:

You are not alone. Men's sports, men's commentary, everything else is diversity and equality forced down our throats.

England game this weekend, even after all we now know about BLM and Marxism, they are still going to take a knee! Try doing that with a crowd.

I agree. I think it is that football is getting away from your woman. Maybe down the pub. Last thing you want is a reminder of what you getting away from. I think its like having your woman wanting to come out with your mates. Just feels wrong.

19 hours ago, Gloommonger said:

Agreed, although the female commentator on TMS isn't bad to be fair. Although she does sound like she is trying slightly too hard to be one of the boys.

Can't think of any others. 

In terms of sport without fans though - it just seems to highlight the complete pointlessness of it all. I can't get interested in it right now

Edited by A tremendous # on the lung
2 hours ago, A tremendous # on the lung said:

Agreed, although the female commentator on TMS isn't bad to be fair. Although she does sound like she is trying slightly too hard to be one of the boys.

Can't think of any others. 

In terms of sport without fans though - it just seems to highlight the complete pointlessness of it all. I can't get interested in it right now

Three on rotation on TMS? Alison Mitchell, Ebony Rainford-Brent, Isa Guha. 

Isa far and away my favourite on TMS.  

The Ashley Cole/Alex Scott punditry on Sky Sports tonight went down well tonight with t'other half.  

* Not saying Ashley is a lady.

4 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

Three on rotation on TMS? Alison Mitchell, Ebony Rainford-Brent, Isa Guha. 

Isa far and away my favourite on TMS.  

The Ashley Cole/Alex Scott punditry on Sky Sports tonight went down well tonight with t'other half.  

* Not saying Ashley is a lady.

Oh, not sure which one I've heard but it seemed to be the same sort each time

Is is amusing on the BBC football page they try to trick readers by giving equal often top prominence to female football matches "Man City impress to beat Arsenal*", even when the men have been playing an international match. Disingenuous.

*Of course upon closer inspection it's the woman, and no-one is interested.

On 04/09/2020 at 23:39, Gloommonger said:

I don’t mind the burd who presents the cricket, the little cute Indian-looking one, she’s fairly hot and seems to know her stuff pretty well. What’s not to like, apart from the irritation of her being chosen because she’s a woman?

Oddly enough Alex Scott is a poor and wooden presenter IMO and I don’t like football programmes where it’s her,  but from her performance in the Bear Grylls survival/mission thingy she was in a while back, she appeared to be a cracking burd - charming, tough and feminine.