DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

First documented re-infection..

In only four and a half months..

A Hong Kong man who recovered from COVID-19 was infected again four-and-a-half months later in the first documented instance of human re-infection, researchers at the University of Hong Kong said on Monday.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-hongkong-reinfecti/hong-kong-researchers-report-first-documented-coronavirus-re-infection-idUKKBN25K1PS

7 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Oh deary me....

Thats unfortunate.

Albeit entirely expected.

The fact that the reinfection was a-symptomatic is good news though,  given some earlier speculation about Antibody-Dependent-Enhancement.  It seems that if you do get it twice there’s a good chance it will be milder.  Based on a sample of 1.

Since I think I may have already had it once that’s quite reassuring news.

20 minutes ago, Libspero said:

The fact that the reinfection was a-symptomatic is good news though,  given some earlier speculation about Antibody-Dependent-Enhancement.  It seems that if you do get it twice there’s a good chance it will be milder.  Based on a sample of 1.

Since I think I may have already had it once that’s quite reassuring news.

I would be more worried if he had got it worse the second time or had died.

51 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Reuters link doesn't work for me. 

He's had it once but now he's got it again? 

How did he discover this? 

Saw this on BBC news - the expert they wheeled on basically said that’s what you expect to see happening and the immune system is responding as it should, standard practice with corona viruses. Kind of pissed on the interviewers bonfire - they were trying to ramp up the fear and it backfired on them. They need to bring in a fear-mongering expert next time. I wonder who would be suitable?

30 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

An academic that is willing to prostitute themselves for five minutes of fame....and in my experience there are plenty of those.

Unfortunately, there are some media whores, but they don't generally last long. There are also those that are bought/funded by interest groups, they are long lasting once the relationship between funder and recipient has achieved trust. And then, there are those that aren't credible academics but masquerade as such because their media reputation is built upon being contrarian, they are also long lasting and especially on the social media where every quack can create an apparent credible platform that will appeal to the beliefs of some audience, much like a sect. Together, they all make plenty of fraudulent scientific noise.

Edited by Hopeful
2 minutes ago, ElKapitan84 said:

I don't believe this.  I don't trust Reuters, I don't trust testing and I don't trust The Independent.  Who knows what the original article even said, these people know none of us will be able to check it or bother to.

Even Bill Gates doesnt trust testing.

And with good reason.

As many of us in the know observed from the start, what they're doing is...  somewhat open to false positives and false negatives.

Well, it is a different strain, so no surprise there.

But a couple more points:

IMO lots of these stories ('dog catches nCoV', 'nCoV reinfection') are actually indicators about how prevalent false-positives are in the testing.

I see they bring out vaccination early in the article.  This is rather an astounding statement:  “Since the immunity can be short-lasting after natural infection, vaccination should also be considered for those with one episode of infection."    So, they've got a disease that:

• Might not exist (might be a false-positive)
  • That hasn't harmed the individual (might be some residual protection from future infections)
  • And their answer is to say everyone needs the vaccine (that doesn't exist, probably won't for a while, hasn't been tested to normal standards and probably won't offer long term protection even if it works a bit).
5 hours ago, dgul said:

Well, it is a different strain, so no surprise there.

But a couple more points:

IMO lots of these stories ('dog catches nCoV', 'nCoV reinfection') are actually indicators about how prevalent false-positives are in the testing.

I see they bring out vaccination early in the article.  This is rather an astounding statement:  “Since the immunity can be short-lasting after natural infection, vaccination should also be considered for those with one episode of infection."    So, they've got a disease that:

• Might not exist (might be a false-positive)
  • That hasn't harmed the individual (might be some residual protection from future infections)
  • And their answer is to say everyone needs the vaccine (that doesn't exist, probably won't for a while, hasn't been tested to normal standards and probably won't offer long term protection even if it works a bit).

Don't forget the papaya that tested positive...