• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  

Having seen a number of relatives come down with this absolutely appaling affliction and having talked with others about their experiences with relatives I have come to the conclusion that this 'modern' disease is principally caused by.

1) Inactivity - principally spending most if not all evenings sitting in front of a Television.

2) Having a shit nutrient poor diet of processed food that lacks fresh vegetables and meat/fish.

3) Low levels of social interaction.

This ties in with the number item in the Alzheimers societies list.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20010/risk_factors_and_prevention/737/how_to_reduce_your_risk_of_dementia

It is not really caused by smoking or drinking.

Anyone else had similar experiences/observations.

Edited by Chewing Grass
speeling

1 minute ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Given that one if the greatest risks for developng dementia is uncorrected hearing loss, which of course means lack of interaction with others, I wouldnt be surprised if youre right.

Coincidentally  I had a hearing test this morning and the hearing professional mentioned that there was a high correlation with dementia and hearing loss. Which is cause and which is effect?

Thankfully although there are signs of presbycusis my hearing was OK for my age. I think my wife has mistaken my selective hearing for deafness. 

I think there is an argument that the body and brain have a functional working life of about 70 years on average.

Medicine has done a great job in extending the life of the body, but very little for the brain. This may turn out to be a bad thing.

I've been thinking about writing about it myself, mainly because I thinkt there's a massive area of declining mental ability and increasing irrational behaviour between the "loveable dotty old granny"  and "total mental void" which are the two options you generally see on film and telly.

Unfortunately, I cant think of any good examples at the moment. Mind's a bit of a blank.

11 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

I think there is an argument that the body and brain have a functional working life of about 70 years on average.

So, I’ve just got 287 264 289 195 days to go?

Damn….can’t get my socks back on after all that counting.

Father in law suffered at quite an early age (55 IIRC) and died around 10 years after that.

He was a big time drinker, I always thought that might have been a multiplier of sorts, but he was also a teacher in east London. I'm pretty sure that's what caused it.

I still think drink must have something to do with it. My nan lived to 99 and had all her marbles at that age and she was TT her whole life.

3 hours ago, Duck said:

Damn….can’t get my socks back on after all that counting.

If it's not being too presumptuous, can you remind us again a bit nearer the time.

We're a bit partial to duck in our house :P

My Granddad's got it. He's (or will be) 88. Has always been really religious so social interaction was something he's always done. Plus we have quite a big family. He's an old Welsh pit miner who educated himself out of there but he's had hearing aids for as long s as I can remember. His mother, my great Grandmother had and died from it too - she was VERY social. And also VERY deaf too. So maybe there is something in it.

But like Happy Renting said, it's probably mostly because of how long we're living now.

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

If it's not being too presumptuous, can you remind us again a bit nearer the time.

We're a bit partial to duck in our house :P

Bit....bit?

Really CP, the possibility of bequeathing one's body to a family needing to qualify partiality in such a way is very remote.

7 minutes ago, Duck said:

Bit....bit?

Really CP, the possibility of bequeathing one's body to a family needing to qualify partiality in such a way is very remote.

Well I bloody love duck. How do you feel about a tamarind sauce? Or would you prefer plum or cherry?

There was, I think a radio 4 programme on this a few months ago- researchers in the US have been studying a group of nuns for years. These nuns don't retire, so keep mentally active. When they autopsied their brains they found areas that indicated dementia but it didn't correlate with the nuns mental abilities prior to death, use it or lose it I reckon.

6 hours ago, Duck said:

Ah someone older than me :D I've run out of fingers and toes but the days left till my 70th birthday aren't that far away.

I was told the age at which the ailments of old age start is 63. That's long gone. TBH I don't want to shuffle around unable to do the things I want to.

I totally subscribe to the lyrics of The Who in My Generation.

21 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Having seen a number of relatives come down with this absolutely appaling affliction and having talked with others about their experiences with relatives I have come to the conclusion that this 'modern' disease is principally caused by.

1) Inactivity - principally spending most if not all evenings sitting in front of a Television.

2) Having a shit nutrient poor diet of processed food that lacks fresh vegetables and meat/fish.

3) Low levels of social interaction.

This ties in with the number item in the Alzheimers societies list.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20010/risk_factors_and_prevention/737/how_to_reduce_your_risk_of_dementia

It is not really caused by smoking or drinking.

Anyone else had similar experiences/observations.

Of the people i know with forms of dementia, it does seem connected to being an idle fucker i.e. sitting around, watching telly.

If youre out and about, mentally and physically, it seems to blasts thru the brain gunk that accumulates.

1 hour ago, Dipsy said:

There was, I think a radio 4 programme on this a few months ago- researchers in the US have been studying a group of nuns for years. These nuns don't retire, so keep mentally active. When they autopsied their brains they found areas that indicated dementia but it didn't correlate with the nuns mental abilities prior to death, use it or lose it I reckon.

Yep.

Dont need to do a degree, just go out and engage with life and people.

Tvs and telly seem to be a big factor.