Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

I’m entitled me. Why your pension age has risen to 67 and your kids have to pay for university


Recommended Posts

This could go in a number of threads but felt it was important enough for a thread of its own 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8658933/The-Yorkshire-Job-Centre-Single-mother-three-shocks-viewers-gaining-450-benefits-week.html

A single mother-of-three who arrived in the UK from Czech Republic aged four shocked viewers of The Yorkshire Job Centre last night after revealing her hopes to gain £450 per week.

Katrina, 24, from Leeds, sought help from the Southern House Job Centre on the Channel 4 programme after struggling with finances when her boyfriend left her.

Having moved to the country when she was four-years-old, the centre required her to take a Habitual Residence Test in order to claim universal credit of £450 per week.
 

However the single mother-of-three was left devastated when she discovered she failed the test and said she would be left homeless, saying: 'My children were born here. I did all my school here, I went to college here. I used to work here, I used to have everything here, so I don't know what's the problem.' 

But viewers were left less than sympathetic, with one commenting: '£450 quid a week in benefits?! Jeez I'm in the wrong game.'
 

What is the habitual residence test?

https://epiuat-app.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/coming-from-abroad-and-claiming-benefits-the-habitual-residence-test/the-habitual-residence-test-an-introduction/what-is-the-habitual-residence-test-EWSNI/#!

 

 

The habitual residence test (HRT) is carried out on most EEA nationals who apply for benefits. The habitual residence part of the test is also carried out on some UK nationals who have been living or working abroad. However, UK nationals automatically have the right to reside so don't have to satisfy the right to reside part of the HRT.

To satisfy the test you must show:

you have a right to reside in the UK. This means you have a right to live here, and

you intend to settle in the UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Ireland (the Common Travel Area) and make it your home for the time being. This is known as habitual residence.


So, essentially they think she is going to claim the bennies and run 

O.o

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I worked in the Middle East I was made redundant. My ex employer basically escorted me to the airport to make sure I went home.  In the ME if you give the wrong person the finger you can get

The point at which an average sized household becomes a 'net contributor' is well north of £40k   Immigrants, based on where they come from, tend to fall into 3 groups Yanks/Canadians/A

For every one of her, there are millions of others overseas. If every single bennie seeking person was White British then I'd be at least a bit less bothered by the widespread abuse.

36 minutes ago, One percent said:

This could go in a number of threads but felt it was important enough for a thread of its own 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8658933/The-Yorkshire-Job-Centre-Single-mother-three-shocks-viewers-gaining-450-benefits-week.html

A single mother-of-three who arrived in the UK from Czech Republic aged four shocked viewers of The Yorkshire Job Centre last night after revealing her hopes to gain £450 per week.

Katrina, 24, from Leeds, sought help from the Southern House Job Centre on the Channel 4 programme after struggling with finances when her boyfriend left her.

Having moved to the country when she was four-years-old, the centre required her to take a Habitual Residence Test in order to claim universal credit of £450 per week.
 

However the single mother-of-three was left devastated when she discovered she failed the test and said she would be left homeless, saying: 'My children were born here. I did all my school here, I went to college here. I used to work here, I used to have everything here, so I don't know what's the problem.' 

But viewers were left less than sympathetic, with one commenting: '£450 quid a week in benefits?! Jeez I'm in the wrong game.'
 

What is the habitual residence test?

https://epiuat-app.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/coming-from-abroad-and-claiming-benefits-the-habitual-residence-test/the-habitual-residence-test-an-introduction/what-is-the-habitual-residence-test-EWSNI/#!

 

 

The habitual residence test (HRT) is carried out on most EEA nationals who apply for benefits. The habitual residence part of the test is also carried out on some UK nationals who have been living or working abroad. However, UK nationals automatically have the right to reside so don't have to satisfy the right to reside part of the HRT.

To satisfy the test you must show:

you have a right to reside in the UK. This means you have a right to live here, and

you intend to settle in the UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Ireland (the Common Travel Area) and make it your home for the time being. This is known as habitual residence.


So, essentially they think she is going to claim the bennies and run 

O.o

I don't get this. As I was on universal credit a couple of months back and decided to get one of those help to save accounts the govt gives you a 50% bonus in every month.

It clearly says I will not get the bonus if I go to live abroad.

Why can't they do that with every benefit. You live in the Czech Rep, you go back to their benefits system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

The Czech angle is nothing to do with it. Imagine exact same situation but she was born in UK as opposed to coming to UK aged 4. I still wouldn't feel right with it.  

For every one of her, there are millions of others overseas. If every single bennie seeking person was White British then I'd be at least a bit less bothered by the widespread abuse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spunko said:

For every one of her, there are millions of others overseas. If every single bennie seeking person was White British then I'd be at least a bit less bothered by the widespread abuse.

I'm fortunate to have never needed to draw a penny from the state,   but surely when you sign on you have to pop into the job centre once a month,  or respond to a UK correspondence address ?

How can you go and live abroad claiming UK state aid without anyone finding out ?!  o.O

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough shit on her, she should have done the responsible thing and gone for citizenship, it's your responsibility if you are in a foreign country, if you're too dumb to there are plenty of organisations to help out the poor gimmigrant (but fuck all if you're a native brit who's contributed to the system eh).  So fuck her I don't care, I really don't - of course it sucks for the kids and that's a shame but am I supposed to have a never ending well of altruism for the whole world?

Link to post
Share on other sites

These articles always try to hide the true amount equivalent of these benefits, too. If they were being honest, every report mentioning weekly amount or nasty "cuts" should annualise the full amount received (including housing benefit), plus add tax so everyone can clearly compare.

 

450x4= 1800, plus maybe £600 HB?

2400 is something like a £40k job actual take home.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this Latvian girl that worked for Frankie and Bennies. Shes spent the summer back in Latvia with the virus situation. I assume shes on furlough cash...

But yeah, immigrants are essential for the economy and we need them to pay taxes?

I'd guess only 10% of immigrants make any sort of real net ctribution.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, One percent said:

So, essentially they think she is going to claim the bennies and run 

O.o

Not the best plan. The bennies are paid in sterling and with the way it's being devalued it will be unviable to live off it abroad. See also the expat pensioners crying into their pound a pint in Benidorm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As per @spunko observation with an accent that foreign she's been out the country more than 2 months - quite possibly most of her life. I'd say say she's been in receipt of old style benefits but living in CZ and has had to put a new claim in for universal credits after the boyfriend left her and she's failed the habitual residence test with flying colours. We can see through her web of lies and I'm sure they'll have asked the right questions at the interview - I bet her children don't even go to school here and why move from Bradford to Leicester anyway unless you have something to hide or a job? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@longtomsilver yes the typical age according to sociolinguist sorts when you develop your accent is around age 12. So even if you spent the first 11 years of your life in Czech Rep and then moved here, you'd very likely have a normal British accent by the time you're 14 or so. She's definitely not been here since she was ~12 years old.

I know someone who moved to France at age 15, hasn't been back to the UK since (10 years) and he still talks with a thick Mancunian accent when switching to English.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spunko said:

@longtomsilver yes the typical age according to sociolinguist sorts when you develop your accent is around age 12. So even if you spent the first 11 years of your life in Czech Rep and then moved here, you'd very likely have a normal British accent by the time you're 14 or so. She's definitely not been here since she was ~12 years old.

I'm very good at accents. I should have been an actor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

As per @spunko observation with an accent that foreign she's been out the country more than 2 months - quite possibly most of her life. I'd say say she's been in receipt of old style benefits but living in CZ and has had to put a new claim in for universal credits after the boyfriend left her and she's failed the habitual residence test with flying colours. We can see through her web of lies and I'm sure they'll have asked the right questions at the interview - I bet her children don't even go to school here and why move from Bradford to Leicester anyway unless you have something to hide or a job? 

I wonder though how many are getting away with this scam.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...