DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I’ve got a small bit of wall, about 2 foot wide x 5 foot high that needs rebuilding from where my extension was built.

I also want a row of steps outside the doors and another row of steps below the patio. They are both about 8 foot wide. 

This sort of thing.

I’ve been quoted £1100 for labour. That seems like a lot but then I’m as tight as a duck’s arse so I can’t work out if that’s about right. 

1F8F6A21-213A-4892-88DB-AC63D54AACBD.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For once, I think I'm going to agree with the next few posts saying it's a bloody rip off. Without wanting to sound hideously sexist, do you know a local friendly bloke who can do that for you? Becaus

I’ve been EOTHO 5 times a day on Mon-Wed. Now I’ve saved enough for a deposit on my first BTL 👍🏻

Word of mouth. Avoid those find a tradesman sites like the plague unless you like the sound of jingling spurs. Any decent tradesman will not be using them and most likely will not advertise at all exc

Posted Images

For once, I think I'm going to agree with the next few posts saying it's a bloody rip off. Without wanting to sound hideously sexist, do you know a local friendly bloke who can do that for you? Because if I lived nearby I could do that for you in about half a day. The cost of the bricks even if you bought new ones from a yard will not be more than £50. Rest of the materials like cement, sand are sod all.

Labour is probably a day all told, for one bricklayer that will be £150 in the SE.

My mum did her patio based off of YouTube videos, she cut the bricks herself. It's really easy, maybe give it a look.

1 minute ago, spunko said:

Labour is probably a day all told, for one bricklayer that will be £150 in the SE.

Does that step require bricklaying skills? Didn't Battenberg do jigsaws or play with lego when she was a boy?

For once, I think I'm going to agree with the next few posts saying it's a bloody rip off. Without wanting to sound hideously sexist, do you know a local friendly bloke who can do that for you? Because if I lived nearby I could do that for you in about half a day. The cost of the bricks even if you bought new ones from a yard will not be more than £50. Rest of the materials like cement, sand are sod all.

Some jobs are too small so the price is jacked up to compensate and they don't really want the business. What Spunko said, less than £500 would seem fair to me.

1 minute ago, Nippy said:

Does that step require bricklaying skills? Didn't Battenberg do jigsaws or play with lego when she was a boy?

I have no bricklaying skills but I managed to lay a 20ft long herringbone brick path just fine. It's a piece of piss. Steps get a bit harder and require some preplanning but they're not impossible for the amateur.

I have no bricklaying skills but I managed to lay a 20ft long herringbone brick path just fine. It's a piece of piss. Steps get a bit harder and require some preplanning but they're not impossible for the amateur.

I'll bet it's all wonky.

10 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I’ve got a small bit of wall, about 2 foot wide x 5 foot high that needs rebuilding from where my extension was built.

I also want a row of steps outside the doors and another row of steps below the patio. They are both about 8 foot wide. 

This sort of thing.

I’ve been quoted £1100 for labour. That seems like a lot but then I’m as tight as a duck’s arse so I can’t work out if that’s about right. 

how long is the wall?

Generally just takes longer, though just getting a good laying mix I can struggle with sometimes. 

Might be a lot of demand at the moment ss people catching up on missed spring work and looking to get roofs on for the winter.Cheaper quotes might be easier to get nearer winter.Fully priced work will nearly always be higher than expected, day labour is th way to go and @spunko's rate about right, though is a a small job so some overhead. Whole thing certainly look for under £500 and more like £300-£350 all in.

I thought that was a lot. I Asked him how many days it would take him. He couldn’t say.

The wall is only cinderblock and some coping. The steps are rockface and a couple of slabs. The materials are actually very cheap, as @spunko said, as I’ve already costed that up. 

I guess he didn’t want the job. He was very odd anyway. 

It’s really hard to get anyone to come and give a quote in the first place. They all seem very busy at the moment and they’re inflating the prices.

19 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

This sort of thing.

£750 would seem more like it to me, probably a 2 day job for one man.

@Battenberg Do you have any other jobs a bricklayer can do? Might be cheaper to get them in for 2-3 days rather than just 1.

No, nothing. 

I think myself and Mr B should tackle it. I’m of the opinion that if someone else can do it then I don’t see why I couldn’t. My husband, on the other hand, does not have confidence in his abilities and past projects often lead to fall outs. 

1 minute ago, Battenberg said:

No, nothing. 

I think myself and Mr B should tackle it. I’m of the opinion that if someone else can do it then I don’t see why I couldn’t. My husband, on the other hand, does not have confidence in his abilities and past projects often lead to fall outs. 

May I suggest doing it without time constraints, if you did an hour or so a day it would be done right and look great.

Chewy schedule.

Mix a bit of mortar, lay a few bricks 'n' blocks, stand back, eye it up, check everything is square and level, tea & cake, repeat next day when previous days work has set.

4 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

No, nothing. 

Does he have any mates who might be a dab hand at DIY? Maybe a few beers might tempt them while it's still sunny.

Just now, Nippy said:

Has a move to long-term working from home meant builders have seen an upturn in work: extensions, garden offices, that sort of thing?

I don't think so. The suppliers have been shut or have reduced stock, according to a plumber who fixed my sink.

2 minutes ago, GBDamo said:

You on crack?

£350 TOPS.

1 days labour

£150 materials.

Its really odd job man work.

Just went in 30% lower than the previous guy, used to make a fortune doing that building PCs in 1998-2000 just said choose what spec you want and I will beat PC Worlds price by 30%, genuine Win98 (from the NHS IT department skip) delivered to your home with 2 hours tuition if you need it.