DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Trespass to become a criminal offence. Petition

Thought that this was important. Another attack on our freedom.  Unfortunately, the link will need to be copied and pasted 

Please sign/ share

Dearest Facebook people. 
Please take a moment to sign and share this. We have two weeks to stop trespass becoming a criminal offence. I for one love to wild camp around the country and find a night under the stars in the middle of nowhere incredibly beneficial to my mental health. I don’t want to be arrested for doing what I believe is a basic human right, accessing nature. 

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300139

For a thousand years, trespass has been a civil offence – but now the Government is proposing to make trespass a criminal offence: a crime against the state. Doing so could: 
- Criminalise ramblers who stray even slightly from the path; 
- Remove the ability of local residents to establish new rights of way; 
- Criminalise wild camping, denying hikers a night under the stars; 
- Clamp down on peaceful protest, a fundamental right and essential part of our democracy; 
- Impact Traveller communities.

If you’d like to hear more about land rights have a listen to this podcast episode with Nick Hayes http://www.buildingsustainabilitypodcast.com/277106/3726476-bs17-trespass-crossing-the-lines-that-divide-us-nick-hayes

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And after this law is enacted the police will continue to ignore travellers while coming down like a ton of bricks  on a rambler who inadvertently wonders onto farmland

It has been going on since the end of the Middle Ages. Over 15% of the land area of England was enclosed from the public between 1605 and the end of the 19th century by Act of Parliament handing over

Signed, they are using travellers, pikeys and ravers as an excuse to eventually remove rights of way through farmland and private estates.

Hmm, I like to walk  through farmland/woods etc. 

I don't do wild camping (anymore) as it's a bit too much effort at my age. (I need a few more comforts than when I was young!)

But I hate ppl who spoil nature my camping and do not leave the site exactly as it was before they arrived. 

I am sure lots of ppl (incl my daughter) are perfect wild campers. But so many aren't? 

So is this law intended to clamp down on the cheeky/selfish buggers?

My main problem with opposing this law though is ... travellers. 

Police always seem to ignore travellers (saying that they are powerless to do much as it's a civil offence) when travellers arrive and plonk all their vans on a village green or in a football pitch? (Or in a hospital carpark.) 

So many annoying incidents in the news.  So can we have a law which stops idiots (incl travellers) but which lets decent ppl camp out in nature occasionally? (And not get prosecuted for going on a country ramble!)

Edited by whocares
Just now, Kurt Barlow said:

And after this law id enacted the police will continue to ignore travellers while coming down like a ton of bricks  on a rambler who inadvertently wonders onto farmland

Very probably ... 😡 Laws are only for the timid ppl? 🤔

2 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

And after this law is enacted the police will continue to ignore travellers while coming down like a ton of bricks  on a rambler who inadvertently wonders onto farmland

This'll be the problem.

There's a business park near us where someone's area got invaded as they were going home through the secure gates by a load of people in caravans. Police station just down the road. Was awful for company. 
We got told to make sure we were extra careful locking allotment gates until they'd left the area.

1 hour ago, whocares said:

Hmm, I like to walk  through farmland/woods etc. 

I don't do wild camping (anymore) as it's a bit too much effort at my age. (I need a few more comforts than when I was young!)

But I hate ppl who spoil nature my camping and do not leave the site exactly as it was before they arrived. 

I am sure lots of ppl (incl my daughter) are perfect wild campers. But so many aren't? 

So is this law intended to clamp down on the cheeky/selfish buggers?

My main problem with opposing this law though is ... travellers. 

Police always seem to ignore travellers (saying that they are powerless to do much as it's a civil offence) when travellers arrive and plonk all their vans on a village green or in a football pitch? (Or in a hospital carpark.) 

So many annoying incidents in the news.  So can we have a law which stops idiots (incl travellers) but which lets decent ppl camp out in nature occasionally? (And not get prosecuted for going on a country ramble!)

How about a good old Eastern European law here? Pay travelers £5000 to be chemically castrated.

That'll solve the problem within a few generations. They will die out.

Thanks for the info, have sent it country-loving mates.
It will be used to convict previously law-abiding citizens, experience says it won't be used against problem (traveller) types.
It will stop folk getting out and enjoying the countryside unless on authorised sheeple-routes. Last thing I want is to be near sheeple.
Petitions in the past have been pointless, expect the same here.
Police & Authorities don't enforce existing laws, why create more?

4 hours ago, Virgil Caine said:

It has been going on since the end of the Middle Ages. Over 15% of the land area of England was enclosed from the public between 1605 and the end of the 19th century by Act of Parliament handing over commons previously available for all to private landholders.

I'm not sure about the enclosed from the public/previously available to all bit. My understanding is that common land was waste land held by the local landowner over which his tenants shared rights to grazing and the like, not open to all and sundry.

Edited by Panther

Their response:

The law of trespass is largely one of common law, with the courts developing the law and resolving disputes based on the circumstances of the case. However, following the ‘Powers for Dealing with Unauthorised Development and Encampments’ consultation in 2018, it was clear that action is needed to address the sense of unease and intimidation residents feel when an unauthorised encampment occurs: the frustration at not being able to access amenities, public land and business premises; and the waste and cost that is left once the encampment has moved on. There is a need to strengthen police powers, in particular powers to tackle unauthorised encampments.

As a result, the Government launched a consultation in 2019 to seek views on how the act of trespass, when setting up or residing on an unauthorised encampment could be criminalised, or whether it is preferable to extend the current police powers to direct people away from unauthorised sites. Such measures would not affect ramblers, the right to roam or rights of way. Instead, measures could be applied in specific circumstances relating to trespass with intent to reside. The current Home Office consultation sets out a number of options for consideration, including trespass legislation such as that which has existed in the Republic of Ireland since 2002. This legislation provides for an offence where the trespasser is likely to ‘substantially damage’ the land or interfere with it; the police may direct trespassers to leave and failure to comply with that direction is an offence. Trespass is also a criminal offence in Scotland. The Trespass (Scotland) Act specifically excludes the exercise of recreational/roaming access rights.

All of these issues will be carefully considered as part of the consultation process. Responses to the consultation are currently being reviewed and a Government response will be issues in due course.

If the legislation is really as claimed then I'm in favour. Big if, of course.

5 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Beat me to it Kurt, that was my immediate thought.

My second thought is that the law wil be used against those who dare go for a solitary walk on the moors if when the next lockdown / attack on our civil liberties is orchestrated.

57 minutes ago, Lightly Toasted said:

Their response:

The law of trespass is largely one of common law, with the courts developing the law and resolving disputes based on the circumstances of the case. However, following the ‘Powers for Dealing with Unauthorised Development and Encampments’ consultation in 2018, it was clear that action is needed to address the sense of unease and intimidation residents feel when an unauthorised encampment occurs: the frustration at not being able to access amenities, public land and business premises; and the waste and cost that is left once the encampment has moved on. There is a need to strengthen police powers, in particular powers to tackle unauthorised encampments.

As a result, the Government launched a consultation in 2019 to seek views on how the act of trespass, when setting up or residing on an unauthorised encampment could be criminalised, or whether it is preferable to extend the current police powers to direct people away from unauthorised sites. Such measures would not affect ramblers, the right to roam or rights of way. Instead, measures could be applied in specific circumstances relating to trespass with intent to reside. The current Home Office consultation sets out a number of options for consideration, including trespass legislation such as that which has existed in the Republic of Ireland since 2002. This legislation provides for an offence where the trespasser is likely to ‘substantially damage’ the land or interfere with it; the police may direct trespassers to leave and failure to comply with that direction is an offence. Trespass is also a criminal offence in Scotland. The Trespass (Scotland) Act specifically excludes the exercise of recreational/roaming access rights.

All of these issues will be carefully considered as part of the consultation process. Responses to the consultation are currently being reviewed and a Government response will be issues in due course.

If the legislation is really as claimed then I'm in favour. Big if, of course.

Well why not just make a law that means encampment (pikies) is illegal?

16 hours ago, Panther said:

Sounds reasonable to me, nobody has the right to camp wherever they like and wildcampers are already expected to move on if required.

When and how did land become 'owned'? Historically much of it was appropriated by force by feudal lords and the theft continued with the land clearances and enclosures acts right up until recent times.

All this was possible because until the early 20th century only landowners could vote, and so Parliamentarians had a vested interest.

To this day many of the chinless wonders in the Lords are heirs to the rights, privileges and land that was aquired by force.

So I am not inclined favourably to new laws that further deny any rights of access or use of the land that the common people can use.

Edited by Happy Renting
24 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

When and how did land become 'owned'? Historically much of it was appropriated by force by feudal lords...

...from other feudal lords who appropriated it by force from other feudal lords back beyond history - society has been stratified for as long as we can know it.

Edited by Panther