DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

If humans had stings..

Suppose that humans were (and always had been) equipped with a reusable sting built into the index finger of one hand.

Not permanently harmful, but powerful enough to cause between mild and excrutiating pain to anyone we chose to sting with it for perhaps 30 seconds.

This would certainly bring swift resolution to situations where people push their way into queues.

But, do you think that the human race would look roughly the same today as it does now?

Edited by DTMark
Just now, Frank Hovis said:

What would be the difference in effect between that and our current ability to punch somebody in the face?

You would just need the social rules to allow that as a reasonable response for anybody who pushes into queues. 

We are British, so we keep a polite distance.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

What would be the difference in effect between that and our current ability to punch somebody in the face?

You would just need the social rules to allow that as a reasonable response for anybody who pushes into queues. 

You can break your thumb punching someone if you don't know what you're doing, and your ability to harm them would depend on a greater degree of skill.

I suspect the temptation to sting people would be irresistable.

Maybe it's just me.

10 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Like all weaponry, it would even up the power balance, so a 200lb knucklehead might be wary of a 10 year old school kid.
It would be non-lethal...it might be better if it anaesthetized the other person so you could make your escape, or gave him a drug-induced high so the argument was forgotten?

Edited by Nippy

4 minutes ago, Panther said:

No, a sting is not very mammalian. It would be like humans laying eggs.

If it were we'd probably have developed scales as protection.

As for the queue jumping, genetically hard wired into the British (mostly), another reason we were always incompatible with the EU.

26 minutes ago, DTMark said:

You can break your thumb punching someone if you don't know what you're doing, and your ability to harm them would depend on a greater degree of skill.

Maybe it's just me.

It's just you and every other person from a polite non-Latin culture who moves to a Latin culture! :)

I expect the Italians have many other compensating characteristics, that charm they often have, for example.

53 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Maybe it's just me.

Is this a bee-type sting or a wasp-type sting?

Edited by Hopeful
1 hour ago, DTMark said:

Suppose that humans were (and always had been) equipped with a reusable sting built into the index finger of one hand.

Not permanently harmful, but powerful enough to cause between mild and excrutiating pain to anyone we chose to sting with it for perhaps 30 seconds.

This would certainly bring swift resolution to situations where people push their way into queues.

But, do you think that the human race would look roughly the same today as it does now?

Nice to see this years cannibis crop has come through.

;)

3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Nice to see this years cannibis crop has come through.

;)

Oh, if only. I'm pretty sure it would grow on the balcony but we must behave ourselves.

Actually, low-strength weed is legal in Italy and is sold in plenty of "head-shops". Though it's not quite the same as I remember. Lots of CBD but not much THC.

1 hour ago, DTMark said:

I would be permanently terrified of using the wrong finger to pick my nose or scratch my arse.

1 hour ago, DTMark said: