DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I've tuned my head into a noise from a new nearby commercial building. It's a constant whine from the air con/ventilation, 24/7.

It's not "loud" but persistent and omnipresent. Unfortunately once it's in your head I hear it everywhere, even where it isn't.

I can't sit in the garden without it spoiling things and feeling like a drill into my head. I'm sure it's something I can train my brain to ignore, but I've had no luck yet.

Any tips? I know how ridiculous this is, bigger problems etc.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to live next to one of the busiest roads in the SE and never thought anything of the noise until I moved away and came back one day and thought how the fook did I used to tolerate that. Co

move, especially if you rent.

This sort of thing happened to me. I would hear the doorbell ring or phone ring when I was in a soporific or dozey state. I reasoned that, since I didn't experience any other auditory hallucinations,

6 minutes ago, eta-carinae said:

I've tuned my head into a noise from a new nearby commercial building. It's a constant whine from the air con/ventilation, 24/7.

It's not "loud" but persistent and omnipresent. Unfortunately once it's in your head I hear it everywhere, even where it isn't.

I can't sit in the garden without it spoiling things and feeling like a drill into my head. I'm sure it's something I can train my brain to ignore, but I've had no luck yet.

I had exactly this, started about 3 months ago, could hear it everywhere like you. Was driving me mad. Good ear plugs helped a bit at night, some white noise too. About a month back it stopped. I think my brain eventually tuned it out, but might have been the equipment stopped and so my muscle memory of it faded. All the best to you, sleep deprivation is awful. 

22 minutes ago, eta-carinae said:

I've tuned my head into a noise....  I hear it everywhere, even where it isn't.

This sort of thing happened to me. I would hear the doorbell ring or phone ring when I was in a soporific or dozey state. I reasoned that, since I didn't experience any other auditory hallucinations, it was because some hearing circuit in my brain had been trained to listen for those noises in particular, and the circuit was triggering falsely when I was sleepy. I took the batteries out of the doorbell, and quietened my phone ring so that I would no longer anticipate them, and over time the hallucinations stopped.

Edited by Nippy
11 minutes ago, eta-carinae said:

Get older and become more deaf?

Works for me.

Just now, spunko said:

I used to live next to one of the busiest roads in the SE and never thought anything of the noise until I moved away and came back one day and thought how the fook did I used to tolerate that.

I don't mind street noise, or people, or the noises of a busy city. But a constant, never ending drone is a certain type of torture..

3 minutes ago, eta-carinae said:

I don't mind street noise, or people, or the noises of a busy city. But a constant, never ending drone is a certain type of torture..

Yeah it's like that hum noise that people hear I guess.

Your options are therefore:

1. Learn to ignore it, or

2. Complain to the council

7 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Pardon?

You know, like that racing driver who had the accident. Can't remember his name Nikki somebody.

10 minutes ago, hapax legomenon said:

You will likely get used to it and it will become less noticeable. I once bought a house feet from a railway line, stopped noticing the trains after a few weeks. 

The railway is half a mile away. I enjoy the trains cheerfully parping their horns

7 minutes ago, spunko said:

Yeah it's like that hum noise that people hear I guess.

Your options are therefore:

1. Learn to ignore it, or

2. Complain to the council

Thanks, the building is still under construction. None of the huge stuff on the roof are in the plans. I've emailed the council and will let you know what they say.

Option 1 has to be a possibility too.

Unfortunately I have an obsessive personality that focuses on one thing at a time. It can totally take over and make everything else in life irrelevant.

Doesn't help that I'm locked down on an arbitrary quarantine.

a third option is to take control of it. Because it irritates you, you might be seeing it as a threat, and therefore "looking out for it". If you were to fit a fan in your bedroom, or download some air conditioning or "induced draught fan" noises from youtube, and play them at low level in your home, then maybe your brain will stop finding it threatening, and switch off the vigilance?

32 minutes ago, eta-carinae said:

Oh, stop whining.

22 minutes ago, hapax legomenon said:

You will likely get used to it and it will become less noticeable. I once bought a house feet from a railway line, stopped noticing the trains after a few weeks. 

We live so near the station we can hear the announcements. Trains don't bother me but then I like trains. Hardly any freight at the moment mind; some of them used to make the house wobble, very noticeable during the night. The new trains are very quiet indeed, almost silent.

10 minutes ago, eta-carinae said:

Thanks, the building is still under construction. None of the huge stuff on the roof are in the plans. I've emailed the council and will let you know what they say.

Option 1 has to be a possibility too.

Unfortunately I have an obsessive personality that focuses on one thing at a time. It can totally take over and make everything else in life irrelevant.

Doesn't help that I'm locked down on an arbitrary quarantine.

Well from a planning point of view you may have a case, although with the way councils are going they probably won't care sadly.

I know what you mean about obsessing over noises, it's why I moved to the countryside. If I were you I would invest in some earplugs and complain constantly to the council.

46 minutes ago, eta-carinae said:

Welcome to the world of Air source heat pumps which Boris proposes as the answer to our climate problems. Imagine when every house has one of these. 

13 minutes ago, eta-carinae said:

Unfortunately once it's in your head I hear it everywhere, even where it isn't

I've heard about tinnitus starting like this. The brain can apparently train itself to hear the noise. Don't keep actively listening, though that would be difficult for anyone let alone someone who has

an obsessive personality that focuses on one thing at a time.

Play music or even white noise, perhaps.

1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Welcome to the world of Air source heat pumps which Boris proposes as the answer to our climate problems. Imagine when every house has one of these. 

It will be like foreign places with the constant air-con fans.