DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Local Suicide Spot

Ok so I was riding my bike around town getting the fresh air and exercise, and I sometimes ride over the Itchen Bridge. I may stop and look at the view.

Locally it is known to be a place where people take their own lives, sadly. There are signs with phone numbers and even a little talk station if you want to speak to the Samaritans.

This one time I was taking a picture from the middle and found a laminated card with this cartoon and this written on it;

"I've learned how to be in the present"

"How?" asked the boy

"I find a quiet spot, shut my eyes and breathe".

"That's good, and then?"

"Then I focus."

"What do you focus on?"

"Cake," Said the mole 

I don't quite get it, but it prompted me to find out more.

20200818_131401.jpg.68edb9ced3dc82da508d5129a7d7fd02.jpg

Obviously it is from a book or from some collection of works. I have found an actual image here under the heading "Life is Tough"https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/417849671680475402/ And it appears to be from a collection of works from Charlie Mackesy and here https://www.charliemackesy.com/about-charlie

9fc4ee6c987e43f573307c2fb4c61e99.jpg

Edited by 201p
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The state of mind of someone who's suicidal is impossible to fully comprehend by those not suicidal.

Never gets old.  

Posted Images

Just now, Shamone said:

Cheerful thread, chaps. 

There was someone at work that said she was depressed and on anti-depressants. She was much younger when I met her. And when I first met her, she told me this. Now being 20 years older than her, I thought it was really odd to come out with this. People never said things like that before because you are already showing a stranger your weaknesses. I guess it is a generational thing and didn't think anything of it.

Anyway, after working with her for a few years, we came across this again, and I said we have to experience sadness to be able to fully appreciate the times that we are happy.

In a music album (sadly an experience that will be missed), you have to sit through the sad songs to enjoy the happy ones. She never thought about it that way, and it was like a light bulb coming on. I don't know if that made a difference, but I hoped it did.

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

In Cornwall it is Hell's Mouth.

An unfenced sheer cliff between Portreath and Godrevy which is close to the road and to parking.

It averages two to three a year; each one a personal tragedy.

211_xl.jpg

Very sad, but perhaps a useful supplement to the mackerel and road kill diet of the local inhabitants?

20 minutes ago, 201p said:

This one time I was taking a picture from the middle and found a laminated card

This has happened to a bridge near me. Infested with laminated cards. Is it a thing, now? It used to be padlocks. I thought the cards were from a cult recruitment drive because they had banal messages of hope on them, and offers to get in touch, but then I saw the Samaritans phone number. Doesn't advertising suicide increase the incidence in the locality, or is that a dodgy statistic? I though newspapers didn't routinely report on it because of this?

1 minute ago, Nippy said:

This has happened to a bridge near me. Infested with laminated cards. Is it a thing, now? It used to be padlocks. I thought the cards were from a cult recruitment drive because they had banal messages of hope on them, and offers to get in touch, but then I saw the Samaritans phone number. Doesn't advertising suicide increase the incidence in the locality, or is that a dodgy statistic? I though newspapers didn't routinely report on it because of this?

Some laminated cards sponsored buy Nike would be nice

3 minutes ago, Nippy said:

The local newspaper I think says the Coast Guard was sent to the area, or the bridge was closed due an incident. Sometimes they will say a body was found also. But people generally know.

34 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

In Cornwall it is Hell's Mouth.

An unfenced sheer cliff between Portreath and Godrevy which is close to the road and to parking.

It averages two to three a year; each one a personal tragedy.

211_xl.jpg

Free parking would be the one thing I would consider if selecting a spot. It would be awful to get a ticket.

In order:

1. Blowing my brains out

2. Amitriptyline and red wine

3. Hanging 

4. Jumping off high building or bridge

5. Cutting my wrists (down the vein not across, remember)

I think number two is the most considerate as the poor paramedics only have to deal with a common or garden dead person. All the others would potentially cause extra grief for those charged with clearing you up. I worked with one bloke who topped himself the night before the morning of his eviction which gave the bailiffs the pleasure of finding his strung up corpse. Ultimately, suicides don't give a shit about the world and the world doesn't give a shit about them so why would they bother being considerate?

57 minutes ago, 201p said:

Ok so I was riding my bike around town getting the fresh air and exercise, and I sometimes ride over the Itchen Bridge. I may stop and look at the view.

Locally it is known to be a place where people take their own lives, sadly. There are signs with phone numbers and even a little talk station if you want to speak to the Samaritans.

This one time I was taking a picture from the middle and found a laminated card with this cartoon and this written on it;

"I've learned how to be in the present"

"How?" asked the boy

"I find a quiet spot, shut my eyes and breathe".

"That's good, and then?"

"Then I focus."

"What do you focus on?"

"Cake," Said the mole 

I don't quite get it, but it prompted me to find out more.

20200818_131401.jpg.68edb9ced3dc82da508d5129a7d7fd02.jpg

Obviously it is from a book or from some collection of works. I have found an actual image here under the heading "Life is Tough"https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/417849671680475402/ And it appears to be from a collection of works from Charlie Mackesy and here https://www.charliemackesy.com/about-charlie

9fc4ee6c987e43f573307c2fb4c61e99.jpg

05EB54A0-FABF-4F91-897D-64B9E3A18CBB.jpeg

13 minutes ago, deathfunk said:

In order:

1. Blowing my brains out

2. Amitriptyline and red wine

3. Hanging 

4. Jumping off high building or bridge

5. Cutting my wrists (down the vein not across, remember)

I think number two is the most considerate as the poor paramedics only have to deal with a common or garden dead person. All the others would potentially cause extra grief for those charged with clearing you up. I worked with one bloke who topped himself the night before the morning of his eviction which gave the bailiffs the pleasure of finding his strung up corpse. Ultimately, suicides don't give a shit about the world and the world doesn't give a shit about them so why would they bother being considerate?

Never gets old.

2 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Free parking would be the one thing I would consider if selecting a spot. It would be awful to get a ticket.

Itchen Bridge, might be out for you, it has a toll - a cheap one though.

3 hours ago, 201p said:

The local newspaper I think says the Coast Guard was sent to the area, or the bridge was closed due an incident. Sometimes they will say a body was found also. But people generally know.

Suicides are something that there is a very convincing case the media deliberately down play if they even report at all.

1 minute ago, SNACR said:

Toll booths are on the side as you head into Southampton - you can get across when leaving Southampton without paying until the end but if you’re leaving Southampton you might be getting into a better mood already.

Perhaps, but it would be great if the last thing you ever did was save a bit of money by avoiding the toll.  May as well go out on a high.