DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today will see an escalation in the (so far media based) campaign to get people to physically go back to work as opposed to work from home (WFH), with the government launching a campaign and noises ab

"You're on mute Sandra.  Mute.  We can't hear you Sandra.  You're on mute.   No, the other button next to it, the one that looks like a mini speaker.  No, your camera's gone, it's the other one.  Yes,

I eat a lot of fibre. I shit a lot. My office has a woefully low number of shitters per person, and the nearest one is some distance from my office. I sometimes have to check three diff

Posted Images

Listened to an interesting podcast last night covering British Columbia. Vancouver, residents all over BC looking for property away from the city, rural areas swarming with visitors doing the same, lotto property sold but a lot not proceeding as conditional apartment sales not following through.

Think of the resale values for heaven's sake. 

This is truly global and affecting nearly all big cities in the West at least.

It's like a schizophrenic is in charge of policy.

After lockdown they went straight to unlimited travel and reopened the housing market on the same day, so people could travel anywhere for a viewing. Not long after that it was the free £500k stamp duty. This encouraged more people to leave cities completely, or buy second homes or holiday lets to work there part time. Now they want them back in the cities!

I eat a lot of fibre.

I shit a lot.

My office has a woefully low number of shitters per person, and the nearest one is some distance from my office.

I sometimes have to check three different toilets across three different floors, to find a shitter that's free.

Which is no fun when when you're touching cloth.

My current shitter is 4 steps away from my desk, and is always available.

So I think I'll just stay working from home for as long as I possibly can, thankyouverymuch.

They’re trapped.

Corporates want to continue it because it increases productivity/saves costs.  

But the last thing the government needs is Corporates spending less on wages and they need the velocity spend from worker spend.   And heaven help them if it continues to show how unproductive parts of the public sector are, and they need to get the kids back to school.  

Over time, I suspect that most people will go back to an office (although they won't necessarily want to endure two hour commutes either way), as they'll find it far too isolating to work on their own day after day.  I couldn't do it.. perhaps one day week but that would be my limit.

It's all quite new at the moment, but give it another six to 12 months, I can see sentiment generally changing.

14 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I eat a lot of fibre.

I shit a lot.

My office has a woefully low number of shitters per person, and the nearest one is some distance from my office.

I sometimes have to check three different toilets across three different floors, to find a shitter that's free.

Which is no fun when when you're touching cloth.

My current shitter is 4 steps away from my desk, and is always available.

So I think I'll just stay working from home for as long as I possibly can, thankyouverymuch.

A female colleague has IBS; as anyone who has this will know it can cause sudden emergency.

In their wisdom my old company has changed their toilets - half a dozen cubicles I would think for the ladies on each floor but I haven't been in to check - into single use owing to this WuFlu nonsense.  The main door to the toilets is now the one that you lock so half a dozen cubicles are reduced to one toilet.  And this is the case on every floor.

She cannot now work there without the very real prospect of crapping herself so she doesn't work there.

Genius work. 

2 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Over time, I suspect that most people will go back to an office (although they won't necessarily want to endure two hour commutes either way), as they'll find it far too isolating to work on their own day after day.  I couldn't do it.. perhaps one day week but that would be my limit.

It's all quite new at the moment, but give it another six to 12 months, I can see sentiment generally changing.

I typically worked one to two days at home each week in my last two jobs owing to my long commute.

That gave my maximum productivity and I think it would do the same for most people. 

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I typically worked one to two days at home each week in my last two jobs owing to my long commute.

Yeah I'd settle for 2 days a week from home as the standard work week once all this is over.

I'd prefer 5 days a week; only coming in once or twice a month for meetings, but I doubt the management would buy that even though it's perfectly valid.

Edited by JoeDavola
Just now, JoeDavola said:

Yeah I'd settle for 2 days a week from home once all this is over.

I'd prefer 5 days a week; only coming in once or twice a month for meetings, but I doubt the management would buy that even though it's perfectly valid.

IIRC you work pretty much in isolation from your colleagues excluding meetings to the extent that you can listen to music through headphones.

A fair few of my old IT team were like that and yes they could pretty much do their job from home and just come in for meetings on, say, Wednesdays.

I was very much working with people so needed to be able to walk over and talk to them.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

IIRC you work pretty much in isolation from your colleagues excluding meetings to the extent that you can listen to music through headphones.

A fair few of my old IT team were like that and yes they could pretty much do their job from home and just come in for meetings on, say, Wednesdays.

I was very much working with people so needed to be able to walk over and talk to them.

How far do you have to stand away from them now to talk to them?

Just now, Dave Beans said:

Depends on the company.  But as i just posted in another thread.

At our place; headcount costs are down as people have been resigning.  But productivity is up and projects are getting finished quicker than expected/planned.  

Structural costs are down and company is planning to shutdown a site permanently to move to mixed working from home / hot desk for everyone who can work from effectively.   I don’t expect to ever be in the office more than 1 day a week and it’s likely to be less than that. 

Add to that, my US colleagues have been told, they're not back in the office until end Q1 2021, earliest.  Because the company is restructuring sites for company wide working from home.   An App is being developed / deployed where teams can book facilities/desks if they want the teams to be in working together for a period of time.  Called Hoteling or some such. 

This is Ford Motor Company.   Big corporate office staff are never going to be in the office in the same way that they there were.    

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I do aye.

However I think my boss would prefer we were all in so that she can chat to us quicky if an issue comes up, which I do understand from her point of view.

It's just that doesn't happen all that often and the overall benefits to both me and the employer for me working from home (yet being available for in person meetings when necessary - e.g. design meetings) are far greater than me being in the office 5 days a week.

Edited by JoeDavola
4 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I do aye.

However I think my boss would prefer we were all in so that she can chat to us quicky if an issue comes up, which I do understand from her point of view.

It's just that doesn't happen all that often and the overall benefits to both me and the employer for me working from home (yet being available for in person meetings when necessary - e.g. design meetings) are far greater than me being in the office 5 days a week.

There's a zoom instant button which allows you to start a zoom straight away and then it's a 1 second c&p to send links, hardly rocket science. If she's a fatty it'll take her longer to get off her chair and walk over to you.

I think companies should set up Zoom 'water cooler' chat points. Have set break times to go and make a coffee and sit and chat with people.

7 minutes ago, feed said:

Depends on the company.  But as i just posted in another thread.

At our place; headcount costs are down as people have been resigning.  But productivity is up and projects are getting finished quicker than expected/planned.  

Structural costs are down and company is planning to shutdown a site permanently to move to mixed working from home / hot desk for everyone who can work from effectively.   I don’t expect to ever be in the office more than 1 day a week and it’s likely to be less than that. 

Add to that, my US colleagues have been told, they're not back in the office until end Q1 2021, earliest.  Because the company is restructuring sites for company wide working from home.   An App is being developed / deployed where teams can book facilities/desks if they want the teams to be in working together for a period of time.  Called Hoteling or some such. 

This is Ford Motor Company.   Big corporate office staff are never going to be in the office in the same way that they there were.    

We are managing with less staff, working harder. I'm not certain this is sustainable longer term. We need the EOTWAWKI scheme to end so that genuine demand can be assessed, and desperately need some clue to Christmas arrangements, which seem to be being kept pesimistically vague.

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

There's a zoom instant button which allows you to start a zoom straight away and then it's a 1 second c&p to send links, hardly rocket science. If she's a fatty it'll take her longer to get off her chair and walk over to you.

I think companies should set up Zoom 'water cooler' chat points. Have set break times to go and make a coffee and sit and chat with people.

We use MS Teams and it's great. Every bit as easy to strike up a call or send an IM on Teams.

And I have it installed on my phone too so will always be able to reply. Was having a wee lie in a couple weeks back and someone IM-ed me at about 9am and I was able to respond while still in bed.

11 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

How far do you have to stand away from them now to talk to them?

You're not meant to talk to anybody at their desk, as in gathered around a screen.  You can stand a few feet away and chat.

You have to go to a meeting room with a big screen it to have that sort of shared screen conversation now with people sat apart.

It works that way, and people are doing it, but it is so inefficient.

It's going to be an uphill battle to do so.  Definitely think the big corporates have realised that people can work from home pretty efficiently.  A small number of staff may prefer working in the office but I think overall the majority definitely would choose WFH.

The large companies with huge office estates sound to me like they have made a permanent shift to WFH.  Is it going to become their civic duty to keep the giant offices alive and with it the city centre, coffee shops etc etc?  Or is it inevitable they places like NYC and London are going to be changed forever?  I think it's the latter personally.

Posted (edited)

WFH to me includes working locally, which means working at home but also engaging locally more than before.  And I was at client sites a lot in my last few jobs so mangers tended to come out and see me and others and we had off site group meetings, which would now be better from a CV control POV.  Things are being twisted at the moment (e.g. WFH = being isolated in your bedroom) to get people to go back to what was before CV because this worked best for the VIs.  A few changes here could be one of the few redeeming things from this polo/administration induced shiteshow.

Edited by Harley
42 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

In their wisdom my old company has changed their toilets - half a dozen cubicles I would think for the ladies on each floor but I haven't been in to check - into single use owing to this WuFlu nonsense.  The main door to the toilets is now the one that you lock so half a dozen cubicles are reduced to one toilet.  And this is the case on every floor.

Funny what subjects people cover when keeping in touch with old work colleagues! :)

19 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

We use MS Teams and it's great. Every bit as easy to strike up a call or send an IM on Teams.

And I have it installed on my phone too so will always be able to reply. Was having a wee lie in a couple weeks back and someone IM-ed me at about 9am and I was able to respond while still in bed.

I've not gone near teams. 
But yeah that sounds like the way to go! 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

The large companies with huge office estates sound to me like they have made a permanent shift to WFH.  Is it going to become their civic duty to keep the giant offices alive and with it the city centre

Or maybe a bit closer to the same size but fewer people with larger offices?  Especially affordable if you cut the wages of those at home!  TBH, most of the office space allocations and hot desking I experienced were deplorable.

Edited by Harley