• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cunning Plan

Overused words

Just watched Newsnight.

In a 10 minute segment with a group of Muslims, the word 'community' was used in excess of 100 times. Despite the fact there really is no community.

The other word is rhetoric. Never heard it used a couple of years ago. Now hear it every ten bloody minutes.

Pisses me off.

"VILE"

As over used in every tabloid "bad person" story from axe murderer to child apple thief..  and now increasingly echoed on social media.

Personal pet hate.

Edited by Libspero

3 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Just watched Newsnight.

In a 10 minute segment with a group of Muslims, the word 'community' was used in excess of 100 times. Despite the fact there really is no community.

The other word is rhetoric. Never heard it used a couple of years ago. Now hear it every ten bloody minutes.

Have to give you rhetoric, these days almost everybody has rhetoric, generally criticised, so rhetoric seems a bad thing. Maybe there's an ointment for it like with old people getting relief from rheumatism by rubbing Winter Green on their wrists and knees. Yes, that's what we need an ointment for rhetoric.

Thatcher famously annoyed SJWs of the day by observing there was no such thing as society, she would be the first to contend there is no such thing as community. If there really was, why have community centres all disappeared. 

9 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Just watched Newsnight.

Pisses me off.

Is it a rhetorical trick to refer to others' statements as rhetoric?

+1 for Amazing Frank. Also:

Awesome

Man Cave

I Can't Even...

Man Flu

That Thing When...

Sorry Not Sorry

Life Goals

Beginning sentences with "So" or "I mean"

Totes

Misuse of the word "Hack" eg "Life Hacks"

Underused: Niggardly , and also Cunnyhole

Absolutely

(the new Yes)

Passionate

(Everyone is 'passionate', just look at peoples' personal websites. I am passionate about.......)

Edited by Hopeful

11 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Absolutely

(the new Yes)

Passionate

(Everyone is 'passionate', just look at peoples' personal websites. I am passionate about.......)

Oh yes, passion, passionate about a particular industry sector.  Of course you are.

2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

+1 for Amazing Frank. Also:

Awesome

Man Cave

I Can't Even...

Man Flu

That Thing When...

Sorry Not Sorry

Life Goals

Beginning sentences with "So" or "I mean"

Totes

Misuse of the word "Hack" eg "Life Hacks"

I see these on facebook but have no idea what some of them mean, next to a gif containing a once pithy joke that looks like it has been put twice though a translator to remove all timing and impact

16 minutes ago, Panther said:

The funny thing about all these people 'passionate' about their job is they think they are saying proactive but they are really saying the opposite

Quite, as far from passionate as they can be.

They are really announcing that they haven't a clue why they are doing what they do, but by telling everyone they are passionate gives them some personal inner meaning to their life.

Edited by Hopeful

1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

'Tot' used almost exclusively by shitty red-tops to describe small children. 

Guilty as charged.

I did once tease a red top editor by asking if they had some sort of special software to translate the story into 'tabloid' by automatically turning every instance of, for example, 'scientists' into 'boffins' etc. etc. As he, and his colleagues, all went to good schools and universities and didn't talk in that way normally. He got a bit narky and went on about how it was just the publication's journalistic style but then said they did have software to check no vocabulary exceeded the reading age of an eleven year old - he didn't say this in a jokey raised eyebrow way, the whole exchange was serious. 

Bit of an insight into he mental gymnastics people perform to delude themselves they've not sold out, in some way, really

Edited by SNACR

2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I did once tease a red top editor by asking if they had some sort of special software to translate the story into 'tabloid' by automatically turning every instance of, for example, 'scientists' into 'boffins' etc. etc. As he, and his colleagues, all went to good schools and universities and didn't talk in that way normally. He got a bit narky and went on about how it was just the publication's journalistic style but then said they did have software to check no vocabulary exceeded the reading age of an eleven year old - he didn't say this in a jokey raised eyebrow way, the whole exchange was serious. 

Bit of an insight into he mental gymnastics people perform to delude themselves they've not sold out, in some way, really

Whenever my articles are dumbed down by a journalist, or I'm asked to make it more accessible, which always involves removing any scientific names, I usually throw back articles like the following, and point out that not even primary school children have problems with 'scientific names'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4579772/Tyrannosaurus-rex-scaly-skin-WASN-T-covered-feathers.html

And that is not just the 'Red Tops'

Journalists are as responsible for the dumbing down of Britain as any other factor.

(all you need do to make an article accessible is write clearly, avoid modern jargon like 'ecosystem services',  and craft an engaging 'story'.)