Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Recommended Posts

Interestingly there was an article (yesterday?) about the government putting up the price of plastic bags again and extending it to all shops and possibly banning bags for life as well..  the final line was about how clean the British hedgerows would be as a result.

Clearly the people who did the research have never looked at the litter in a British hedgerow..  it’s almost exclusively glass bottles, drinks bottles and sweet/fast food packaging.   And now face masks.

But no point letting the facts get in the way of a good story..

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Interestingly there was an article (yesterday?) about the government putting up the price of plastic bags again and extending it to all shops and possibly banning bags for life as well..  the final line was about how clean the British hedgerows would be as a result.

Clearly the people who did the research have never looked at the litter in a British hedgerow..  it’s almost exclusively glass bottles, drinks bottles and sweet/fast food packaging.   And now face masks.

But no point letting the facts get in the way of a good story..

The green movement apparently have suggested that the government's success in reducing bag usage is nothing the sort and reusable bags have been used enlarger numbers and now they are after them.  Fuckwads didn't seem to have any suggestion as to how goods on the shelves will magic themselves into the household though.

Edited by onlyme
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, onlyme said:

The green movement apparently have suggested that the government's success in reducing bag usage is nothing the sort and reusable bags have been used enlarger numbers and now they are after them.  Fuckwads didn't seem to have any suggestion as to how goods on the shelves will magic themselves into the household though.

The tyranny of minorities with agendas bordering on religious zealotry. Whatever you do or yield to will never ever be enough.

3.5% is being embraced on Twitter by the usual democracy-can-be-so-inconvenient types.

 

*A movement of 3.5% enough to affect change.

Edited by Alonso Quijano
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ccc said:

I think I was the first person on the planet to bring up this point. About 5 months ago. :D

I reported my first sighting 20th July

On 20/07/2020 at 21:57, ashestoashes said:

saw a discarded plague mask on the pavement today, sent a shudder down my spine as there's no guidance on what to do in such a situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MrPin said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-53947161

Coronavirus: Pandemic 'causing new wave' of plastic pollution

 

I see about a dozen discarded masks on my way to the shop amongst the KFC boxes, and indestructible coffee cups.

 

Yup, I see quite  a few face nappies lying around on the floor, the disposable surgical ones mainly with a broken ear-loop

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, onlyme said:

The green movement apparently have suggested that the government's success in reducing bag usage is nothing the sort and reusable bags have been used enlarger numbers and now they are after them.  Fuckwads didn't seem to have any suggestion as to how goods on the shelves will magic themselves into the household though.

Making a bag for life uses about fifty times the energy of producing a single use one or something like that. I posted the link a while back, it's nothing to do with the environment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I throw around 4-5 doritos packets out of the car window every night on the way to work, i save them up. 

I throw them out along the grass verge outside a wealthy new build retirement village.

Gives me a good chuckle everytime i drive back in the other direction in daylight.

It's the small little efforts like this that add up to contributing to the sense of despair that "comfortable boomers" feel. That has been greatly amplified by taking away the Cruises & foreign travel / bumping up their travel insurance costs etc 

It is just a small effort that has a big psychological impact.

Edited by WorkingPoor
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

I throw around 4-5 doritos packets out of the car window every night on the way to work, i save them up. 

I throw them out along the grass verge outside a wealthy new build retirement village.

Gives me a good chuckle everytime i drive back in the other direction. 

It's the small little efforts like this that add up to contributing to the sense of despair that "comfortable boomers" feel. That has been greatly amplified by taking away the Cruises & foreign travel / bumping up their travel insurance costs etc 

It is just a small effort that has a big psychological impact.

Yes on everyone else who has to drive past....

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MrPin said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-53947161

Coronavirus: Pandemic 'causing new wave' of plastic pollution

 

I see about a dozen discarded masks on my way to the shop amongst the KFC boxes, and indestructible coffee cups.

 

Swimming in the sea yesterday at a remote beach, there was a surgical-style one floating  in the sea :(

Edited by Hopeful
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrPin said:

I think many of them are nylon, and won't disappear. At least LIDL were selling cotton ones.

I suspect they will be in the environment a while :( I've seen a few discarded in car parks. But then again, at the same cove I was at yesterday I've in the past seen the tinfoil remains of a bbq, empty bottles etc. I just don't undertsand how, if someone carries stuff to have a bbq at a remote beach, they can mentally, leave it all there as litter. I've carried more of other people's stuff and relic fishing gear up cliff paths than I've ever taken to a beach xD

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hopeful said:

I suspect they will be in the environment a while :( I've seen a few discarded in car parks. But then again, at the same cove I was at yesterday I've in the past seen the tinfoil remains of a bbq, empty bottles etc. I just don't undertsand how, if someone carries stuff to have a bbq at a remote beach, they can mentally, leave it all there as litter. I've carried more of other people's stuff and relic fishing gear up cliff paths than I've ever taken to a beach xD

Diving in the red sea at a spectacular location here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ras_Muhammad_National_Park

Old style Sainsbury's orange bag floating about.

Infuriating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...