• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Fifty pound notes

As a committed user of cash (paying in a restaurant the other day the response was "Oh, we don't usually get cash") I am frequently paying £30 or £40 out in cash and have a wallet with a lot of twenties in to cover it.  It would be much easier to have a smaller number of fifty pound notes and fifty pounds, owing to the effects of inflation, isn't a huge sum these days.

Yet I read an article the other day that pubs still won't take them and it's twenty years since I actually had any as I'd specifically requested them to pay a man with van for two days' work.

Does anyone come across them frequently, and is their use increasing because I would like to think that I can start using them at some point?

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

As a committed user of cash (paying in a restaurant the other day the response was "Oh, we don't usually get cash") I am frequently paying £30 or £40 out in cash and have a wallet with a lot of twenties in to cover it.  It would be much easier to have a smaller number of fifty pound notes and fifty pounds, owing to the effects of inflation, isn't a huge sum these days.

Yet I read an article the other day that pubs still won't take them and it's twenty years since I actually had any as I'd specifically requested them to pay a man with van for two days' work.

Does anyone come across them frequently, and is their use increasing because I would like to think that I can start using them at some point?

Nobody would think anything of spending £50 on plastic but they are awestruck by seeing it as a bank note as if it is an incredible sum of money.

20 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

My Dad has just returned from overseas for a bit and was given a wad of fifties by the bank when he got some sterling.

He's not had any refusals but he does get quite a few double takes and some funny looks when he hands one over. There also tends to be a scramble for the UV lamp as well.

Until he had them, I hadn't seen a fifty for around 8 years.

My son has gone to Tehran and, as you cannot get rials here before you go or even use a credit/debit card over there, was told by the Iranian chap in the local bank to take £50 notes as the Iranian money changers there love them and will even give you a bit more for them than the exchange rate there.  I initially asked him if my son should take dollars or euros but he was adamant that £50 notes were best.

My initial reaction was as above - 'nobody will take them' etc. etc.  I hope he was right as my son will be fucked otherwise.

30 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

We accept them happily but as SH says it tends to be a tourist unlaoding money from the bank when we receive them. They are then of no use in terms of change so tend to end up as either in my own wallet, giving me a temporary feeling of affluence, or in one of member of staff's wage envelope as she doesn't mind receiving them. Incidentally when I do have a wallet with 50's in I do feel that I receive better service in restaurants if they are aware. This may be just me feeling cock o the walk though.

Edited by man o' the year
spelling

14 minutes ago, Miss S said:

My son has gone to Tehran and, as you cannot get rials here before you go or even use a credit/debit card over there, was told by the Iranian chap in the local bank to take £50 notes as the Iranian money changers there love them and will even give you a bit more for them than the exchange rate there.  I initially asked him if my son should take dollars or euros but he was adamant that £50 notes were best.

My initial reaction was as above - 'nobody will take them' etc. etc.  I hope he was right as my son will be fucked otherwise.

Brave lad; I'd have taken the others as back up though.  In one of my two wallets and a money belt I always carry when on holiday.

We've never taken either £50 or Scottish notes and can't see it changing. Would like to stop taking cash but don't think it would be possible from a PR point of view until once of the big supermarkets go that way.

12 minutes ago, SNACR said:

We've never taken either £50 or Scottish notes and can't see it changing. Would like to stop taking cash but don't think it would be possible from a PR point of view until once of the big supermarkets go that way.

I can't see a supermarket doing it as they must make the highest margin on those primarily cash transactions carried out at the fags and lottery tills by the entrance.

I get the impression (not fishing) that your goods are mostly low value so a £50 note would be so unusual that you're not losing much trade by refusing them.

I don't blame your not taking Scottish notes; there was a warning last month where some Plymouth shops had accepted fake Ulster notes.

I have nothing against either home nation but have no.idea what these notes are meant to look like in the first place so would have no chance of recognising a forgery.

In a vaguely related note both local radio presenters were this week talking about having received euros (value c. 80p) in change being passed off for pound coins; one getting four of them from a major supermarket.  Is this common as I've not had any?

Always pay cash in restaurants, mainly because I like to just leave it on the table with the bill, rather than waiting for them to bring a card machine. 

Pretty sure I've never set eyes on a fifty pound note. 

1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

He's not had any refusals but he does get quite a few double takes and some funny looks when he hands one over. There also tends to be a scramble for the UV lamp as well.

Cultural differences. Here in Froggy-Land I always ask the cash machine for €50 notes. I can't recall anyone ever batting an eyelid at receiving one, apart from the rate "I don't have any change in the till".

I think the UK is turning into a cash-free society, which would explain that £50 are becoming "unusual" and draw attention.

I'm also very happy with Scottish money, although I must point out to Frank,  for his O Level Geography, that Ulster is not in Scotland. I too look at these notes suspiciously, as I am not sure what they should look like.

1 minute ago, DeepLurker said:

Cultural differences. Here in Froggy-Land I always ask the cash machine for €50 notes. I can't recall anyone ever batting an eyelid at receiving one, apart from the rate "I don't have any change in the till".

I think the UK is turning into a cash-free society, which would explain that £50 are becoming "unusual" and draw attention.

Yes, big value Euro notes are common.

9 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

They're not becoming unusual, they always have been.

What I find odd is that I thought with inflation meaning that a typical restaurant meal for two that cost £20 in 1980 costs £50 now then £50 notes would become as common now as £20 notes were then but I'm still not seeing any.  It seems a natural evolution of the currency with inflation: pound notes becoming pound coins, two pound coins coming in, and five pound notes becoming scarcer.

So the regular notes in the wallet have gone down from four denominations in 1980 (£1, £5, £10, and £20) to three now (£5, £10 and £20).  Where are the £50s?

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

You lot just aren't wealthy enough. :D

When my son caddies at a prestigious golf club, 9 times out of ten he gets a £50 note.

Are you sure they're real?

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I get the impression (not fishing) that your goods are mostly low value

For some reason I've now got in my head - to the tune of Goldfinger - TatMONGER! (do dooo do).....

56 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I'm also very happy with Scottish money, although I must point out to Frank,  for his O Level Geography, that Ulster is not in Scotland. I too look at these notes suspiciously, as I am not sure what they should look like.

Yes, big value Euro notes are common.

Once or twice I have received a 1000CHF note from a cash machine. Think they've stopped issuing so many now as they were being used in money laundering so much, I've heard tales of people buying (small) apartments in Geneva with 600 1000chf notes.

(Rather like London the Swiss authorities have to pretend now and again that money laundering isn't part of their business model)

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

For anyone who doesn't like fifty pound notes, please send them to me.

I too am willing to accept them.

Husband got money off his mum for his birthday and got a £50 in that. He was quite impressed.
I've only ever seen one before I think.
Always got £20s when I got a wedge out of the bank.

Edited by sarahbell

31 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Once or twice I have received a 1000CHF note from a cash machine. Think they've stopped issuing so many now as they were being used in money laundering so much, I've heard tales of people buying (small) apartments in Geneva with 600 1000chf notes.

(Rather like London the Swiss authorities have to pretend now and again that money laundering isn't part of their business model)

The bentness of the Swiss, is both reassuring and legendary.O.o

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

They're not becoming unusual, they always have been.

What I find odd is that I thought with inflation meaning that a typical restaurant meal for two that cost £20 in 1980 costs £50 now then £50 notes would become as common now as £20 notes were then but I'm still not seeing any.  It seems a natural evolution of the currency with inflation: pound notes becoming pound coins, two pound coins coming in, and five pound notes becoming scarcer.

So the regular notes in the wallet have gone down from four denominations in 1980 (£1, £5, £10, and £20) to three now (£5, £10 and £20).  Where are the £50s?

If they started putting them in cash machines, then they'd be in common use toot suite, and after a very small period of time nobody would bat an eyelid at using or recieving one.

There rare on purpose because the government wants to encourage electronic payment for big ticket items.

17 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

If they started putting them in cash machines, then they'd be in common use toot suite, and after a very small period of time nobody would bat an eyelid at using or recieving one.

There rare on purpose because the government wants to encourage electronic payment for big ticket items restrict money laundering and tax avoidance to it's friends in the City. 

Corrected that for you....:)

Wow, I ddin't even know there were £100 notes.

Googling it seems like @SpectrumFX is running along the right lines.

Whilst there has been no official government line given there are lots of fellow travellers giving briefings saying several or all of the following:

• Encourage card payments by making it harder to buy expensive things with cash
  • Increase tax take / reduce tax evasion by making it harder to pay tradesmen in cash
  • Make it harder for criminals to carry large amounts of money

Combine this with the "wait and see" approach that the BoE is taking to plans for a polymer £50 note and the actions of other governments around the world (such as India giving a short deadline to cash high value notes before they became withdrawn and valueless) and you can see where the government is trying to take it.  The holding back of the £50 note is an attempt to make cash transactions just that little bit more difficult.