DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Misuse of Covid 19 legislation

I think we all remember Tony Blair's police force ejecting an old man from a Labour party rally under "terrorism" legislation.

Well here is a misuse of Covid 19 legilsation.

Without any consultation the main street in Penzance has been closed to normal traffic 11am - 4pm every day.

Covid 19 legislation has been spuriously used because it increases social distancing.

I am not unhappy with the closure (it makes sense, you don't need to drive up this street to navigate Penzance) but I am bloody annoyed that they have been able to circumvent applying a proper consultation period before this closure by using CV19 legislation.

I cannot believe that this is the only example out there.

Latest Updates

Posted at 16:10

Penzance main town centre road to see vehicle ban

Most traffic will be banned from the main town centre road of Penzance between 11:00 and 16:00 from Thursday.

Only buses and taxis will be able to use Market Jew Street during the day.

Healthy Streets Penzance is an attempt to get people to use the bypass instead, as well as to help the air quality and allow people to socially distance.

It was set up without prior public consultation under Covid-19 legislation.

However, town mayor Nicole Broadhurst said that, even though it was being introduced through an emergency traffic restriction order, it could be treated as a "live consultation".

She said: "Anybody who does make objections, we will actually take everybody's point of view into consideration for the next six months."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/cornwall

They seem to be doing a lot of similar stuff all over the place with Covid notices being displayed as justification.  It looks like opportunism and needed due to increasing congestion but is it being justified partly due to white van terrorism as well - at least internally without the public being informed of that - maybe with the usual spurious claim to avoid causing offence.

Locally they proposed closure of the main street for continental tables, chairs and drinking in the middle of the road as we head into autumn! Relented. However various anti-car / pro-cycling scheme look like being pushed through by cycling/green lobby, no doubt adding to misery of majority's commute to work as road space reduced.

The is a lot of couping going on!

On 02/09/2020 at 19:00, Frank Hovis said:

I think we all remember Tony Blair's police force ejecting an old man from a Labour party rally under "terrorism" legislation.

Well here is a misuse of Covid 19 legilsation.

Without any consultation the main street in Penzance has been closed to normal traffic 11am - 4pm every day.

Covid 19 legislation has been spuriously used because it increases social distancing.

I am not unhappy with the closure (it makes sense, you don't need to drive up this street to navigate Penzance) but I am bloody annoyed that they have been able to circumvent applying a proper consultation period before this closure by using CV19 legislation.

I cannot believe that this is the only example out there.

Definitely not the only example.That street is not exactly busy to cross as a pedestrian, the paths narrowish but will it make any difference if people entering shops and congregating elsewhere - unlikely.

Lots of fuckery in the name of China Flu round here,roadscloasedor turned into disastrous one way systems and lots of parking gone. Will kill footfalll for many businesses as well as generally cause disruption.

5 hours ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Locally they proposed closure of the main street for continental tables, chairs and drinking in the middle of the road as we head into autumn! Relented. However various anti-car / pro-cycling scheme look like being pushed through by cycling/green lobby, no doubt adding to misery of majority's commute to work as road space reduced.

The is a lot of couping going on!

They've reduced the main A Road from Preston to Blackpool to one lane for a cycle path no one uses.

Tony Blair: It is common sense to move toward digital IDs

Former Prime Minister Tony Blair has said it is "common sense to move in the direction of digital IDs" as part of efforts to fight coronavirus.

Mr Blair said there should be a record kept by the government of those vaccinated against the virus.

The government recently set out plans to change laws to enable the use of digital identity across the UK.

town mayor Nicole Broadhurst .... treated as a "live consultation".

Love it! Straight out of the opening of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. "We're canvassing opinions on whether your planet should be destroyed to make way for an intergalactic highway," said the Vogon. "This should be treated as a live consultation..."

In a good news twist on this most people are ignoring it :D

There's no point in making laws without the capacity to enforce them.

Drivers ignore ban from Penzance town centre on first day of controversial pedestrian zone 

The town's high street is closed between 11am and 4pm as part of a 'healthy streets initiative'

Phil Budden wrote: “Has the scheme been postponed? I just walked down the street to see the improvements and nothing was any different. Traffic still flowing both ways.”

Jess Tredinnick said: “Market Jew Street was just as busy with cars as usual today. This ridiculous hair brain idea from the council is an utter waste of money and resources.”

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/drivers-ignore-ban-penzance-town-4483371