DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Take me home and pay for it

6 minutes ago, RJT1979 said:

Lots of stupid or just plain tight folk need to recognise the fact that other countries do not operate like the UK and you can't lie your way out of a big bill like you can over here.

Then they fly to places where they are regarded as low-life kuffar.

Carole, was treated and cleared for breast cancer last year, but she did not declare the condition on her long-term travel insurance documents. Her family say her insurer won't cover the costs until Carole receives a diagnosis for her illness that isn't linked to a pre-existing condition.

Moron.

Mind you, she was probably following the example of all the people piling into the UK...

I don't know why people do this.  Obviously declaring it makes the insurance more expensive but as soon as you make a claim the insurer will ask to see your medical records and discover that you lied on the form and refuse to pay the claim.

Effectively you are paying for insurance upon which you will never be able to claim.

Smart move. 

Carole, was treated and cleared for breast cancer last year, but she did not declare the condition on her long-term travel insurance documents. Her family say her insurer won't cover the costs until Carole receives a diagnosis for her illness that isn't linked to a pre-existing condition.

I've been to Turkey for a week; I liked it when we went on the Turkish excursions that we'd booked ourselves and could chat to the English speaking Turks who, like us, were tourists.

I didn't like the markets and sellers or the English bars so they were mostly avoided. 

38 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Carole, was treated and cleared for breast cancer last year

Arguably she thought she didn't need to declare it..  she had been cleared.

There is also no reason to assume it is related:

Doctors are currently treating Carole for a blood disorder related to a potential bone marrow deficiency which is costing her family £1,000 per day.

Insurance,  as a system,  is a bit shit for exactly this reason.     It really would be better just to pay some sort of NHS travel supplement so that people are just "insured".

Insurance companies are always happy to take your money,  but will always try to find a way to pay out.

In this case it sounds like it isn't linked,  but insurance aren't going to pay out until it's proved..  so if the family don't have the cash to front the costs,  they're screwed. 

It's an entirely unsatisfactory arrangement really..

6 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Arguably she thought she didn't need to declare it..  she had been cleared.

There is also no reason to assume it is related:

Insurance,  as a system,  is a bit shit for exactly this reason.     It really would be better just to pay some sort of NHS travel supplement so that people are just "insured".

Insurance companies are always happy to take your money,  but will always try to find a way to pay out.

In this case it sounds like it isn't linked,  but insurance aren't going to pay out until it's proved..  so if the family don't have the cash to front the costs,  they're screwed. 

It's an entirely unsatisfactory arrangement really..

I'm not exactly the #1 fan of insurance companies - but their questions are very clear. They ask if you have been treated. Not the result. 

There's a chance it may not even have impacted her insurance cost if she provided the information she was meant to. 

Shame for her but her own fault I'm afraid. 

23 minutes ago, ccc said:

Shame for her but her own fault I'm afraid.

Yes,  ultimately you are correct..   we all need to take responsibility for our actions. 

But.. in their defence, it sounds like this was a long standing policy that hadn't been updated.

So she should have updated it,  but probably didn't even think about it.

When people act in good faith but get things wrong or fall foul of their own incompetence it suggests to me that the system could be improved. 

Always been a big fan of insurance and have decent policies that I know precisely the details of cover on.

I had a household and car claim 20 years ago (flooding) that topped out at just under 70k. Loss adjuster was brilliant. Would have been utterly fucked without it as I was pretty much left in the clothes I was stood up in. Only claim in my life, and if I never claim again it would be the best money I ever spent.

Always make sure I'm insured up the arse when travelling, especially when diving.

2 hours ago, RJT1979 said:

Why would anyone go to Turkey. Never understood it. Small chance of isis attack. Big chance of being hated for being white. Have to spend holiday surrounded by mudslimes 

Pretty good place for a holiday. Never once been hated for being white, generally secular, very friendly and good service compared with some of the European countries, especially Greece. It's a very good value holiday, but you've got to be able to stand the heat.

I didn't like the markets and sellers or the English bars so they were mostly avoided. 

Different culture innit? I don't like haggling but my old man loves it, it's amazing how far they can be knocked down. First time I ever went I went to the market, picked up a load of very high quality knock-off Adidas gear, paid what the bloke asked for and he just looked utterly confused as I handed over the cash.

Edited by Roger_Mellie
42 minutes ago, ccc said:

I've got an annual policy. 

When did you renew it? If after, say, March, did the insurance company insert any naughty Covid clauses?

I have just checked my annual policy, renewed in February - there is nothing to state that I can't visit a Covid-rich country, to which the FCO advises against travel, as far as I can determine; the FCO advice clause extends only as far as warring shit-holes and the like.

Edited by Knickerless Turgid
27 minutes ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

When did you renew it? If after, say, March, did the insurance company insert any naughty Covid clauses?

I have just checked my annual policy, renewed in February - there is nothing to state that I can't visit a Covid-rich country, to which the FCO advises against travel, as far as I can determine; the FCO advise clause extends only as far as warring shit-holes and the like.

Insure and go. Did October last year. They announced few months back they would be covering people for covid related stuff. 

The FCO stuff is not particularly clear. 

Will get my renewal email soon so will see what that says.

4 hours ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Always been a big fan of insurance and have decent policies that I know precisely the details of cover on.

I had a household and car claim 20 years ago (flooding) that topped out at just under 70k. Loss adjuster was brilliant. Would have been utterly fucked without it as I was pretty much left in the clothes I was stood up in. Only claim in my life, and if I never claim again it would be the best money I ever spent.

Always make sure I'm insured up the arse when travelling, especially when diving.

A Jordan Peterson lecture popped up whilst on the roaming headphones,  in the US dams are built for a 1 in 100 year event prevention, result - new Orleans. In Holland the dams built for 1 in 10,000 year event. At a personal level that is exactly what you covered yourself for and it worked, something devastating, possible too difficult to recover from in a lifetime, that is when insurance shines.

8 hours ago, RJT1979 said:

Why would anyone go to Turkey. Never understood it. Small chance of isis attack. Big chance of being hated for being white. Have to spend holiday surrounded by mudslimes 

I have to disagree. Other than the border regions  in the bottom right corner where it’s more unstable, it’s no worse than anywhere else. In fact, the hospitality and friendliness in the central rural areas is phenomenal.  The people in the tourist areas are after your money, so again (superficially) friendly.  Full disclosure: I used to live in a small rural town, and travelled extensively.  Less risk there than some parts of the UK or dem controlled US cities.