DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

2 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

It's those Ruskies. They've been found out on Facebook so now they are flying banners behind their planes telling us that Bozza is great. 

Sadly, they don't tend to last long behind fighter jets. 

They show as RAF. I've been there on holiday and they normally whizz past about 9million miles an hour

37 minutes ago, Nippy said:

This one intrigued me to-day: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zz172/#25659039

A C17 from Brize Norton practising low level flying. It made three low-level passes of East-Midlands airport, maybe touch and gos, but I wondered why go to a civilian airport and active freight terminal? And would fees need to be paid?

Civilian, but I doubt very busy.

I think fees are only payable if you land. THe RAF may be exempt.

I know someone who landed a hot air balloon on Greenham Common airfield when it was not in active use. They tried to charge him landing fees based on the weight of his aircraft.

He pointed out that at the instant he landed, the balloon was weightless. They eventually agreed.

Edited by Happy Renting
17 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Civilian, but I doubt very busy.

I think fees are only payable if you land. THe RAF may be exempt.

I know someone who landed a hot air balloon on Greenham Common airfield when it was not in active use. They tried to charge him landing fees based on the weight of his aircraft.

He pointed out that at the instant he landed, the balloon was weightless. They eventually agreed.

Some places, really a lot of places, charge approach fees and there are circuit charges as well.

Why not go to a civilian airport? The idea would be to practise in different places. 

Some airports may or may not give special deals to the military, I've never heard such a thing mentioned. 

There used to be a hill at the back of the house where I grew up that was a waypoint for military jets. In the eighties pretty much every warbird us or the yanks fielded used to fly over the house on practically a daily basis, at very low level. I even nicked the full fat Janes Military Aircraft guide from the school library (guess schools don't have those now) and still had it until it got trashed in a flood in 2000.

I had an obnoxious old family member know it all type who I shut up to silence at age 13 (counting days to ATC) by running off the full specs of a plane that went over, and after explaining what engine variant and thrust it had, pointed out that it was also the all weather variant with the newer radar. Entire family BBQ struggled not to piss themselves

Memo to self. Need to go to an airshow next year if there is one on. Miss that stuff.

20 hours ago, Nippy said:

This one intrigued me to-day: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zz172/#25659039

A C17 from Brize Norton practising low level flying. It made three low-level passes of East-Midlands airport, maybe touch and gos, but I wondered why go to a civilian airport and active freight terminal? And would fees need to be paid?

They practice go arounds there. Down by me they do touch and goes on the beach. A bit of bugger if you have just put on the suntan cream.

Touch and go... that brings me back to my CCF cadet days.

One CCF camp, we had flights in a Vickers Varsity.

Varsity_external.jpg

Note the blister on the underside of the plane, with windows at the front.  It was a 'ventral pannier' used to train bomb aimers.

The pilot allowed us to lie in the pannier while he did circuits and bumps.

Lying on my belly, at 8000ft, watching the undercarriage come down a couple of feet in front of me, landing, and racing along the runway barely a foot above the ground, and taking off again was truly fucking awesome.

Edit: Added 'fucking'

Edited by Happy Renting

Just found this 1955 BBC video  - their second attempt at live TV transmission from the air.

View of take off from the Varsity's ventral pannier at 6:00 ; landing from 13:35. 

I can't think of a modern aircraft where you would be able to get that view. It was a real adrenalin rush.

Some people may recognise Raymond Baxter commentating (he was a WW2 Spitfire pilot).

Edited by Happy Renting
17 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Just found this 1955 BBC video  - their second attempt at live TV transmission from the air.

BBC said it was the first ever live TV transmission from a flying aircraft, a slightly disingenuous claim as usual.

TV cameras were mounted into aircraft as far back as 1944 to broadcast live to a remote TV receiver.

Not a lot of people know about this.

10 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

BBC said it was the first ever live TV transmission from a flying aircraft, a slightly disingenuous claim as usual.

TV cameras were mounted into aircraft as far back as 1944 to broadcast live to a remote TV receiver.

Not a lot of people know about this.

Aww, cut the Beeb some slack. It was quite an impressive broadvast for 1955 technology.