Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Tesco stealing your money - no surprise there


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It amazes me that shoppers suffer this malarkey. The company isn't giving its own money to charity, its getting you to give your money to charity, but claiming the adulation for itself, then crowing a

They're not charities anyway. British heart Foundation chief exec salary £180k, cancer research £240k, Diabetes UK a more respectable £75k, but still a lot more than Jodie whose bill is being rou

But it's okay because they're stealing for charidee!     https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/12572841/tesco-angers-shoppers-by-automatically-rounding-up-bills-to-nearest-pound/  

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

They're not charities anyway.

British heart Foundation chief exec salary £180k, cancer research £240k, Diabetes UK a more respectable £75k, but still a lot more than Jodie whose bill is being rounded up to pay these salaries.

CRUK have ~£500M pa budget so £240k seems reasonable, and at least they are a charity that you probably know somebody that has directly benefited from their research, and possibly had their lives saved by cancer drugs developed by CRUK.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can just see the typical corporates sitting around their table.  They all claim to have charity partners.   

You know we can rip off maybe another 5/10% from people's bills and claim to be giving it to our charity cronies er partners - they'll never notice.  Unanimous then.  Bonuses all round.

Did that envelope go to the minister.

Edited by twocents
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, snaga said:

CRUK have ~£500M pa budget so £240k seems reasonable, and at least they are a charity that you probably know somebody that has directly benefited from their research, and possibly had their lives saved by cancer drugs developed by CRUK.

Out of curiosity, do they give away their research to the big pharma companies to certify and productionise,  on the basis that they can't afford the £billions for trials?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did get caught by this after I only went to a biological third party run checkout as the self-checkout was only taking cards and I wanted to get rid of a load of cash. That’ll learn me.

In bad news for the cash enthusiasts on here a lot of talk about taking cash but no longer giving change is doing the rounds with either a credit note or crediting it to a bank card.

Really don’t think cash has got long left. I’ve been desperately waiting for the first major supermarket to ditch it. Having said that, I was in a Costa, and all four people in front paid cash going through Costa’s special magic coronavirus killing cash saucer routine.

Edited by SNACR
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nippy said:

Out of curiosity, do they give away their research to the big pharma companies to certify and productionise,  on the basis that they can't afford the £billions for trials?

I don't know, but the chemo drugs they hold the patents for, are sold to NHS at "ethical" pricing, CRUK could probably make billions from their patents, but don't.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I closed a credit card account last week and there was 10p credit on it.  Your woman on the end of the phone asked if I wanted to donated it to charity or transfer it to my bank account.  In true dosboders style I choose to my bank account.  Didn't even pause to think. 

Took her by surprise.  Bet I was called some choice names when I put the phone down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, snaga said:

I don't know, but the chemo drugs they hold the patents for, are sold to NHS at "ethical" pricing, CRUK could probably make billions from their patents, but don't.

My starting point with the pharmaceutical industry is to be ultracynical, then be pleasantly surprised when I'm shown to be wrong. A trivial example is that high-tech modern cancer drugs often don't do what they claim or are no better than older drugs,  but 5-yr survival rates are shown be increasing. The reason, yet again, is down to physicists developing better detection equipment, so the diagnosis occurs earlier in your inevitable journey to death.

This guy seems to have a beef with CRUK: http://dyingforacure.org/blogs/cancer-research-money-wasteful/

Edited by Nippy
Link to post
Share on other sites

Developing new drugs is high risk, one thing cruk does is looking for drugs for less common cancers, that big pharma deem uneconomical. But also cruk are heavy in to early diagnoses and developing new tests such as sponge on a string, and blood tests to detect traces of rna in blood from cancer cells.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-us/cancer-news/press-release/2020-07-31-sponge-on-a-string-test-to-transform-oesophageal-cancer-diagnosis

Edited by snaga
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, snaga said:

CRUK have ~£500M pa budget so £240k seems reasonable, and at least they are a charity that you probably know somebody that has directly benefited from their research, and possibly had their lives saved by cancer drugs developed by CRUK.

Would they not be able to do this with a cheaper CEO?

You're using the BBC argument there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

Well we get told top BBC presenters need to be paid 800k because they're worth it. 

Let them go find better salaries somewhere else. 

Wages are insanely high compared to minimum wage. 

Don't start me on footballer salaries either.

800k for a presenter makes 240k for a £650m turnover org seem bargain cheap to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, snaga said:

Developing new drugs is high risk, one thing cruk does is looking for drugs for less common cancers, that big pharma deem uneconomical. But also cruk are heavy in to early diagnoses and developing new tests such as sponge on a string, and blood tests to detect traces of rna in blood from cancer cells.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-us/cancer-news/press-release/2020-07-31-sponge-on-a-string-test-to-transform-oesophageal-cancer-diagnosis

Perhaps.

But should we actually be trying to find a cure for cancer?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I'd have a look through their accounts if I was on the computer .. 

Do they earn it or would the guilted donations keep rolling in? How much is in grants and easy money?

Find out in next years accounts, fun runs, marathons, run for life etc, and their shops will have been hit hard this year  so if that is where they are getting the bulk of their income then they are in for a large cut.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, snaga said:

yes, we need fewer people by creating fewer new people. But for those that are already alive, we should care for them

Except that a large number of them, saved from cancer, will get dementia.

If we keep the body alive longer than designed, the mind will go first.

Tricky issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, montecristo said:

I closed a credit card account last week and there was 10p credit on it.  Your woman on the end of the phone asked if I wanted to donated it to charity  their own bank account or transfer it to my bank account.  In true dosboders style I choose to my bank account.  Didn't even pause to think. 

Took her by surprise.  Bet I was called some choice names when I put the phone down

Just saying - after all it's a bank.  Just call it bailout money.

Edited by twocents
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...