DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you'll find he is a mysoginistic homophobe. The BBC had people on the news telling me this. 

If the beeb don't like him that's a top recommendation.

He's a really good guy.  Seriously. He's done loads for aboriginal communities, rolling his sleeves up and working in some shitty places.   He volunteers for his local fire dept and in the b

Just now, Libspero said:

Now batting for team GB.

My gut feeling is it’s a great appointment,  and feels like a warm show of solidarity from our commonwealth brethren.

What does the forum think?

So, he is battling for the other side then.  o.O  in this day and age, should we really be troubled by it?  

Who is he btw.  :)

2 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Apologies,  I should have posted a link:

Tony Abbott: Ex-Australian PM appointed UK trade adviser

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54027762

No need to apologise. I thought it was about cricket and decided to be facetious.  :)

I don’t believe for a minute that he is doing this unpaid. Why would he?  The thing is to identify the scam and there surely is one. 

I think it is a good thing. He has talked in the past about the UK, Oz, NZ and Canada forming stronger economic ties. He also has good contacts in SE Asia.

I think he will be batting for us - Brits globally.

Perhaps Boris could put him in charge of immigration. Maybe we should look at immigration into Oz when he was PM ;) and what the immigration policies he thinks the UK and Europe should adopt ;););)

Edited by The Masked Tulip

John Anderson, former deputy prime minister of Australia, interviews people for his 'Conversations' series. He is courtly,  knowledgeable, and right leaning in a way that seems unusual these days to us in the UK. Maybe there is something decent about Australian politics? Sky Australia seems to be able to call a spade a spade, too. Worth a watch.

36 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Knows sod all about trade..

An expert in the details he may not be, but he still got three big deals over the line. I’d rather have him batting for our team than a bunch of remainer establishment wankers determined to make Brexit a failure under all circumstances.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/03/boris-johnson-tony-abbott-trade-expertise

42 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Now batting for team GB.

My gut feeling is it’s a great appointment,  and feels like a warm show of solidarity from our commonwealth brethren.

What does the forum think?

Agreed. Note that we also have Kiwi expert in the fine details of trade deals in the team too. 

13 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

An expert in the details he may not be, but he still got three big deals over the line. I’d rather have him batting for our team than a bunch of remainer establishment wankers determined to make Brexit a failure under all circumstances.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/03/boris-johnson-tony-abbott-trade-expertise

I hope he's done a bit of swotting up since his Spectator article...

Edited by Dave Beans
12 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

I hope he's done a bit of swotting up since his Spectator article...

Excuse my ignorance, but is the part that Peter Ungphakorn highlighted "will not impose any tariff on quota on European produce and would recognise all EU product standards" basically a free trade agreement, in which case, he says it would not be a violation?

Just now, Lipid said:

Excuse my ignorance, but is the part that Peter Ungphakorn highlighted "will not impose any tariff on quota on European produce and would recognise all EU product standards" basically a free trade agreement, in which case, he says it would not be a violation?

Under WTO, each side cannot give "special permission" to each other, and not to everyone else, if a free trade agreement is absent.  The EU for instance can't give us unfettered access, without giving everyone else around the world the same access.  Free trade agreements remove tariff and non tariff barriers and quotas.  Tariffs make up a small part of FTAs in new generation FTAs.  Its the removal of non-tariff barriers that really hold the key to increased trade.

7 hours ago, Anglepoise said:

Born in London. Sorted out the migrant crisis in Australia ( towed the boats somewhere else!).Nigel rates him, and interviewed him s couple of times. At last a decent decision from Boris.

Some times all a good leader has to do is make good appointments.

6 hours ago, Virgil Caine said:

Personally I would have preferred  Sir Les Patterson.

He's going to be our new cultural attache, but based in the old BBC building once they get moved out.