DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Tiny Houses and Other Alternatives

Harley

Not sure where to put this topic but I love this inspirational Youtube channel which is part of the Tiny House movement.  And Bryce, the presenter, is a top guy.  He produces and presents some excellent videos.

Living Big Tiny House

To me this is far more than something for those struggling with the property market.  It is about purpose, design, minimalism, yes sustainability, frugality, art, freedom, independence, individuality, and skill.  Probably a lot more.  I would be looking at this if I was starting out today, and am looking at this now for my and others later lives or in case we should hit a bump in the road.  Our property is small so we're not far off anyways!  The trick to me is the context/surroundings in which these homes are placed.  To make the outside part of your living space.  And I get inspiration from the designs, material use, and quality for my normal building work.

Another Youtube channel I love for a more mobile version and the affinity I have for the huge mix of characters here too is:

Exploring Alternatives

Presented by yet more great folk.  And more alternatives to ponder.

All inspirational stuff and something I just know I'll end up getting involved in.

Anyways, just to share in case it inspires someone to something better.

Enjoy!

Good luck getting planning permission on land. If you can afford to buy land with planning permission already on you might as well build a house. If building a tiny house for 5k on a 2k plot of land was easy then everyone would be doing it. Only realistic position is living in a van or continuous cruising on a narrowboat. The C&RT are clamping down on the latter, really turning the screw on them.

12 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Good luck getting planning permission on land. If you can afford to buy land with planning permission already on you might as well build a house. If building a tiny house for 5k on a 2k plot of land was easy then everyone would be doing it. Only realistic position is living in a van or continuous cruising on a narrowboat. The C&RT are clamping down on the latter, really turning the screw on them.

Tiny houses are usually built on  trailer beds if I recall correctly? Are there different types incl. with traditional foundations?

49 minutes ago, Hardhat said:

Tiny houses are usually built on  trailer beds if I recall correctly? Are there different types incl. with traditional foundations?

Doesn't matter what it's on you still need full planning if you use it as a permanent residence. Only way around that is if you stick it in your garden (if you already got a house why would you?) or someone else's garden and are happy to live at their discretion (fuck that) the permission isn't so difficult to get long as it's only x-y-z big.

Any vids you see on YT about these people building off-grid houses in the UK are all trustafarian bullshitters who brought the land with planning for £150k or mummy and daddy gave it them a few acres from their estate so they can sell people a bullshit dream one YT video at a time.

It's just the normalisation of shitter and shitter living conditions for every subsequent generation since the 1960s. Why the fuck should my kids have to live in a tiny fucking wooden box, with some cunt going on about the quality of the finishes in a place so small you could fry an egg on the stove whilst having a dump.

So no, I am not keen on the tiny house movement.

Chewing Grass
1 minute ago, Popuplights said:

It's just the normalisation of shitter and shitter living conditions for every subsequent generation since the 1960s. Why the fuck should my kids have to live in a tiny fucking wooden box, with some cunt going on about the quality of the finishes in a place so small you could fry an egg on the stove whilst having a dump.

I always thought that tiny-houses-that-move were technically Caravans.

Can't see the difference myself.

31 minutes ago, Harley said:

Could have gone either way.  Think I'm done.  Best of luck.

I appreciate it Harley. I quite want to build one.

Canal boats have also always appealed to me, as has small, low impact housing.

I know somebody who built one in Cumbria... I will see if I can find his blog.

5 hours ago, Popuplights said:

It’s an eye opener I live in a 50k terrace in stoke and my bedrooms are close to 13ft square and the ceiling is probably close to 9ft high .ive even got 2 rooms downstares with separate TVs etc .yet go visit a new build 2 bed and I’m like wtf.

UnconventionalWisdom
21 hours ago, Harley said:

Not sure where to put this topic but I love this inspirational Youtube channel which is part of the Tiny House movement.  And Bryce, the presenter, is a top guy.  He produces and presents some excellent videos.

Living Big Tiny House

To me this is far more than something for those struggling with the property market.  It is about purpose, design, minimalism, yes sustainability, frugality, art, freedom, independence, individuality, and skill.  Probably a lot more.  I would be looking at this if I was starting out today, and am looking at this now for my and others later lives or in case we should hit a bump in the road.  Our property is small so we're not far off anyways!  The trick to me is the context/surroundings in which these homes are placed.  To make the outside part of your living space.  And I get inspiration from the designs, material use, and quality for my normal building work.

Another Youtube channel I love for a more mobile version and the affinity I have for the huge mix of characters here too is:

Exploring Alternatives

Presented by yet more great folk.  And more alternatives to ponder.

All inspirational stuff and something I just know I'll end up getting involved in.

Anyways, just to share in case it inspires someone to something better.

Enjoy!

With wfh this could become more popular. I just use mobile data these days. Was on my dad's narrowboat in rural northants and had great 4g last week. Would be great if you could jyst up sticks every 5 years or so. 

Caravan Monster

If you have a house to go back to when the weather is bad, or you are ill, or you need to store things, living in a van or canal boat might be romantic and fun for a bit, but perpetual mud and storing your soggy tat on the tow path for half the year can get tired quick.  Doing it for real might save a little money but you still end up at the mercy of some sort of landlord and never really escape the state. Realistically living on campsites or being a water pikey is pretty shit and nearly all the people living this way have mental health issues in my experience. I suspect the majority are doing it not out of choice but because they are independent types that can't cope with funding today's shelter costs.

https://landregistry.data.gov.uk/app/ukhpi

As of May 2020 the average house price in the UK is £235,673

Bricks & Mortar

I'm interested in this.  Have a plot.  Not mine, but in the family.  All the surrounding houses are 1 bed cottages, of tiny proportions.  They all got extensions on the back, before planning laws got strict for conservation areas.  We don't have any 'round-the-back' because the plot is surrounded.  So, I guess I could build something onebed cottage size.   So, the game would be seein how the space could be maximised.

Archived