DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

If you could live anywhere in the UK, where would it be and why?

I would appreciate the help of the hive-mind that is DOSBODS.

Basically, my company are shutting their London office and all staff currently based there will now be ‘home based’.  I am not planning to rush into anything given the current uncertainty, but I could potentially now base myself anywhere in the UK.

As a true DOSBODer I despise humanity so cities are out of the question.  Family and friends are scattered around the world, so that is not an issue.

So, given the choice, what would be your ideal location and why?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scotland is too cold in winter and has midges in summer Wales has rubbish broadband and it rains all the time. Everybody should go to the Scarborough/Whitby coastal areas.

It must be hard to shit in a tap.  

Just about anywhere in 1938:  

Posted Images

Just now, muggle said:

Basically, my company are shutting their London office and all staff currently based there will now be ‘home based’.  I am not planning to rush into anything given the current uncertainty, but I could potentially now base myself anywhere in the UK.

As a true DOSBODer I despise humanity so cities are out of the question.  Family and friends are scattered around the world, so that is not an issue.

Far from the madding crowd but that’s getting more difficult by the day. 

Ribble Valley area often comes near top of "best place to live" surveys. Countryside but not too isolated from the big cities in the way that Barrow/Whitehaven can be (e.g. with a 3 hour drive to the nearest IKEA). Blackburn, Preston & Manchester quick to reach with the motorways and should cover off all your city needs.

On the doorstep of the underappreciated and thankfully little known Bowland AONB, not too far from the Lakes or Dales either. Google Whalley to get a general starting  location.

NW is really my only area of knowledge, but the East coast once you get below Redcar has some gems I believe too.

28 minutes ago, muggle said:

I take it you'll need decent broadband, so very rural areas will typically be out - unless you can get decent 4g coverage.

37 minutes ago, muggle said:

Fuck off. We're full already.

depends what your leisure activites are

I wouldn't live anywhere else in the UK than where I do. Which is a problem, because if here didn't exist, I'd be gone, which would probably be life improving.

If you can do your job from anywhere in the world, I'd choose Tasmania, which is where I'd be if i wasn't here, with the caveat that there are many places I haven't yet seen of ever will see. There are many people in Tasmania that work from internationally from home obtaining the majority of their income from work in other countries.

Edited by Hopeful
10 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

If you can do your job from anywhere in the world, I'd choose Tasmania, which is where I'd be if i wasn't here, with the caveat that there are many places I haven't yet seen of ever will see. There are many people in Tasmania that work from internationally from home obtaining the majority of their income from work in other countries.

Much as I would like to, it is unlikely my company would agree to people being that remote!  xD

I started a similar "where should I move to?" personal journey about 3 years ago.
process of elimination - rule places out (Wales? Scotland? counties?) to narrow your search area.
what do you want  / not want (temperature? welsh rain?).
then spend time touring the areas left on your list.

Personally I like to be near water, warm is good (is nothing North of Midlands), and I find the South Coast too commercial. 
Bristol channel / SW coast / S Wales is still high on the shortlist, or overseas.

Mid to South Wales. Just a few miles away from the coast to ease the winds but not far enough in to be hit by the rain produced from the orthographics.

As noted, its about why and what you want to do.

Enough land for coppicing and polytunnels.

Enough for a small pasture and some grazing beasts.

The temps good all year around. 

Close enough to the coast for my wife to collect seafood.

Remote enough for a cash and barter life and land price with no mortgage.

Just close enough to major centres for health care although I am pushing it on this one.

And I get to be called a white settler. Do I get in because my late mothers maiden name was Jones?

Edited by The Grey Man

Studland, Dorset. 

Right at the purbecks for forestry and hills.. there's the stunning beaches (of course). Tons of history including the bunker where Churchill watched the exercises for the D-Day Landings... Then there's a pub, (more beaches) even a naked beach, if that's your thing, small beach coves, and it's a right PITA to get to over the ferry (or a 20 mile drive around) so you don't feel part of the Bournemouth & Poole conurbation.

Small enough to have community too - which is rare

Edited by Southmartin
2 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

Studland, Dorset. 

Right at the purbecks for forestry and hills.. there's the stunning beaches (of course). Tons of history including the bunker where Churchill watched the exercises for the D-Day Landings... Then there's a pub, (more beaches) even a naked beach, if that's your thing, small beach coves, and it's a right PITA to get to over the ferry (or a 20 mile drive around) so you don't feel part of the Bournemouth & Poole conurbation.

Small enough to have community too - which is rare

Good call.

Spent my family hols here for most of my teens.

A great place. And warm.

This is an interesting topic for me. We are going into an approx 2 year holding pattern soon (assuming our house sale goes through). We are East midlands at the moment and contemplating Yorkshire Dales or maybe North York Moors. The South West or South West Wales would be high up the list as well but unfortunately too far away from family to be viable. 

Big move this one....