DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

People who are still alive

Frank Williams (Rev Timothy Farthing) from Dad's Army.

220px-Frank_Williams_cropped.jpg

He is a lay preacher in real life and has mostly played ecclesiastical roles through his career.

89, born 1931.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Williams_(actor)

Compare with James Beck, born at a similar time (1929) but died suddenly in 1973 aged 44 so he has now been dead for 47 years.

220px-James_Beck-1973.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Beck

I find it odd because with recorded TV you see them in the same episodes and being of the same generation despite James Beck having been dead for nearly fifty years and Frank Williams still going strong.

Recorded TV and films have been described as "watching ghosts" and when you have something that contrasting it really brings it home.

Just now, MrPin said:

I guess it's like John Thaw, and John Nettles always played policemen? They must look like policemen.

A lot of the "character" actors play just one character.

Peter Bowles (To the Manor Born) was told early in his career that he "made a good policeman" and from then he refused to play any to avoid being typecast.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Recorded TV and films have been described as "watching ghosts" and when you have something that contrasting it really brings it home.

Very true.

If the wife asks me what I am listening to when I play some of my music collection the reply is usually “Dead People” .

5 hours ago, MrPin said:

I guess it's like John Thaw, and John Nettles always played policemen? They must look like policemen.

Oddly enough Frank Williams achieved TV stardom playing an army officer (Captain Pocket) rather than a clergyman (in The Army Game) long before Dad's Army.

Claim to fame: in my long ago acting days I worked with Mr Williams a couple of times - he is a lovely chap and a true gent.

1 minute ago, Austin Allegro said:

Oddly enough Frank Williams achieved TV stardom playing an army officer (Captain Pocket) rather than a clergyman (in The Army Game) long before Dad's Army.

Claim to fame: in my long ago acting days I worked with Mr Williams a couple of times - he is a lovely chap and a true gent.

I expect you have given up for "family reasons", athough you still have a silk smoking jacket, and cravats.

Here's my contribution: the 'Lezzer' himself, Leslie Phillips of the Carry Ons.

He's 96 and was said to be close to death several years ago, he joked he was only hanging on for his knighthood.

It's a national scandal that he hasn't got it, come on Your Majesty, get the gongs out for Sir Les!

6 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

So what might I have seen you in then Larry...?

XYY