DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Whisky as a gift

4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Father bought his kids a bottle of 18 year old each year from 18 .. 

For 28 years. 

He worked in the industry so bought as investment.

It's not sold yet but is whisky brokers.value at 40000. 

The son is 28+18 ...and looking to buy a flat. Imagine that.

Not quite - he got a bottle of 18year old from when he was born in 1992, so he is 28.

Looking up the 18 year old sherry oak Macallan it costs £800 a  bottle for a new one.

_114260930_mediaitem114260924.jpg

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/17749/macallan-1994-18-year-old-sherry-oak

To buy 28 bottles now would cost £22,400.

Whilst there is, of course, inflation I really doubt that his father has spent merely "£5,000" as the story claims.

There was a drinks expert on the radio this morning and he wasn't recommending it as an investment; he was saying if you have a £100 bottle of whisky then just drink it and enjoy it.

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Looking up the 18 year old sherry oak Macallan it costs £800 a  bottle for a new one.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/17749/macallan-1994-18-year-old-sherry-oak

To buy 28 bottles now would cost £22,400.

Whilst there is, of course, inflation I really doubt that his father has spent merely "£5,000" as the story claims.

There was a drinks expert on the radio this morning and he wasn't recommending it as an investment; he was saying if you have a £100 bottle of whisky then just drink it and enjoy it.

Staff discount I assume

16 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It is a bit like those sad people who turn up on antique shows with pristine toys still in the original box that they were given as a kid. The point of toys is for children to play with them and the point of whisky is for people to drink it. The only reason to hang on to a bottle would be if you don’t actually like it. Even though I am not crazy about spirits I think I would probably work my way through a bottle of MacAllan over 12 months.

Edited by Virgil Caine
2 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

It is a bit like those sad people who turn up on antique shows with pristine toys still in the original box that they were given as a kid. The point of toys is for children to play with them and the point of whisky is for people to drink it. The only reason to hang on to a bottle would be if you don’t actually like it.

And bottled whisky doesn't generally go up, except with inflation, as it ages in the cask rather than the bottle so does not improve with age.