DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Halifax, Any Good?

A mate of mine has just retired and moved to Halifax (the one in Yorkshire, not the one in Nova Scotia). He sold his insanely overpriced house in Islington - bought 35 years ago when Islington was a cheap place to buy in London - and bought somewhere about the same size but with a big garden for 15% of the price in Halifax. He tells me it's a really nice town but I'm struggling to fully believe that. The one time I went there, admittedly nearly 40 years ago now, it was an utter crap hole. Anyone have any more recent experience of it?

Edited by TheBlueCat
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Japanese colleague is a mate and we have worked a lot in other parts of the UK. But I found working in Hudds  genuinely embarrassing. I remember one day getting a cab. I phoned up and ordered

I am sure Halifax in a lovely place, it has a population of around 90,000. There are a dozen plus mosques and a couple of churches so the town will be very cultural, vibrant and diverse.

West Yorkshire born and bred. I'm glad I escaped and won't be going back.

Posted Images

If I was to sell up in a crap-hole zone of London Id not want to be moving to a craphole area in West Yorkshire.

I dont think Hailfax is that bad. Maybe living in islington has made him immune to shitholes.

But ....

Halifax is not on the ECML, if he wants a quick train to London.

Ditto its not really great for road links.

Its not arty, like Hebden - but I dont like Hebden at all - too damp.

Does he mean Halifax, town centre?

Or Halifax, nice village outside?

Bradford has really suburbs but a shit centre.

Halixfax is a lot smaller and good n shit bits mixed up.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

If I was to sell up in a crap-hole zone of London Id not want to be moving to a craphole area in West Yorkshire.

I dont think Hailfax is that bad. Maybe living in islington has made him immune to shitholes.

But ....

Halifax is not on the ECML, if he wants a quick train to London.

Ditto its not really great for road links.

Its not arty, like Hebden - but I dont like Hebden at all - too damp.

Does he mean Halifax, town centre?

Or Halifax, nice village outside?

Bradford has really suburbs but a shit centre.

Halixfax is a lot smaller and good n shit bits mixed up.

Grand Central trains will get you to London in three hours from Halifax direct. 

5 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

I was there this morning! A mixed bag, I'd say.

I'm assuming he's not bought actually *in* Halifax, but one of surrounding villages/towns?

I'm not sure what counts as a surrounding village, but he has a Halifax address and is about 1.5 miles from the Piece Hall mentioned above by bike according to Google maps. Street view shows it to be a nice looking house too. It's in this general area.

Yorkshire has some fantastic countryside and coasts, shame many of the built up areas spoil it. Summer can be warm but is short. I was very happy to leave.

I spent 3 years just outside Bradford (shithole, decent music venues with young ladies on every street corner waiting to give directions,  IMAX cinema & museum of photography are worth a one-off visit. I moved out - 2 years later cars were being torched on the street I used to live on - see the manningham race riots).

Also 3 years living near Leeds (some decent areas, decent music venues, lots of run down towns nearby - I watched a set of 3 flats sell at auction for £8 total/£2.5k each - complete with plywood 
double glazing and 6" nails bypassing the 'leccy meter! I bought an ex-council house then found the next street was infamous for being on "The 10 worst streets in the UK".)

11 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I'm not sure what counts as a surrounding village, but he has a Halifax address and is about 1.5 miles from the Piece Hall mentioned above by bike according to Google maps. Street view shows it to be a nice looking house too. It's in this general area.

Some beautiful houses around there (I'd see that area as Halifax, not a surrounding town/village). Halifax town has some fabulous architecture too.  That said, one of my friends is just moving out of the area he has moved into.  

I'm assuming he has a car?

2 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

Some beautiful houses around there (I'd see that area as Halifax, not a surrounding town/village). Halifax town has some fabulous architecture too.  That said, one of my friends is just moving out of the area he has moved into.  

I'm assuming he has a car?

Yes, he has a car (and several bikes). Why did your friend leave the area? 

Just now, TheBlueCat said:

Yes, he has a car (and several bikes). Why did your friend leave the area? 

Lots and lots of lovely cycling around the tops of the surrounding villages. Absolutely no provision for cycling in Halifax.

She has lived in that area a good ten-fifteen years ('Fax born n bred).  Selling to move further out. She is a single white female who works shifts.  Area getting more anti-social as the years go by, particularly at night.  

1 hour ago, TheBlueCat said:

A mate of mine has just retired and moved to Halifax (the one in Yorkshire, not the one in Nova Scotia). He sold his insanely overpriced house in Islington - bought 35 years ago when Islington was a cheap place to buy in London - and bought somewhere about the same size but with a big garden for 15% of the price in Halifax. He tells me it's a really nice town but I'm struggling to fully believe that. The one time I went there, admittedly nearly 40 years ago now, it was an utter crap hole. Anyone have any more recent experience of it?

I know a couple of (ex) High ups in political circles that live in HX6 (ok, the property has "wings" so it's not likely comparable). I doubt they'd live there if it was a complete crap hole. 

1 minute ago, The Generation Game said:

I know a couple of (ex) High ups in political circles that live in HX6 (ok, the property has "wings" so it's not likely comparable). I doubt they'd live there if it was a complete crap hole. 

I live in HX6 too. I'm *miles* and *miles* away from Halifax.  Just the way the rural postcodes are drawn up, I guess. 

I'm sure - @TheBlueCat - your pal will get into the Halifax groove and have a great time.  Free parking at Sainsbury's for two and a half hours 😉 for when they want a mooch in the market. 

11 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

I live in HX6 too. I'm *miles* and *miles* away from Halifax.  Just the way the rural postcodes are drawn up, I guess. 

I'm sure - @TheBlueCat - your pal will get into the Halifax groove and have a great time.  Free parking at Sainsbury's for two and a half hours 😉 for when they want a mooch in the market. 

I’m sure he’ll be fine - he’s a go with the flow sort and he’ll probably spend most of his time hiking or riding his bike until he gets too decrepit at which point I don’t suppose it matters that much where you live anyway.