DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Urban Badgers

1 minute ago, JackieO said:

Last night around midnight I stepped outside and called for our cat....

No cat.... instead I saw a badger who quickly ran off...

Anyone else seen a badger in suburbia?

Yes, had them in the garden a few times in recent years. Thankfully they have pissed off so it's safe to release hedgehogs round our way again.

Just now, JackieO said:

Badgers hurt hedgies?

Yes, they're the main predatory threat. They tear them open with their claws. Foxes will sometimes have a go if desperate but are usually only successful against youngsters. Small dogs come off second best, larger dogs, it can go either way. We had one in with a horrendous puncture wound from a Staffie but it recovered.

That said, humans are the worst threat. Strimmers, netting, ponds, slug pellets and cars. My wife went to collect one from a park that was found wandering around in the day by a woman and her young daughter. Its nose had been chopped off, presumably by a council brush cutter. Straight to the vet for euthanasia. It's a pretty grim business at times.

7 minutes ago, NTB said:

Yes, they're the main predatory threat. They tear them open with their claws. Foxes will sometimes have a go if desperate but are usually only successful against youngsters. Small dogs come off second best, larger dogs, it can go either way. We had one in with a horrendous puncture wound from a Staffie but it recovered.

That said, humans are the worst threat. Strimmers, netting, ponds, slug pellets and cars. My wife went to collect one from a park that was found wandering around in the day by a woman and her young daughter. Its nose had been chopped off, presumably by a council brush cutter. Straight to the vet for euthanasia. It's a pretty grim business at times.

Roll them in clay and bake them on the fire, pikey style.

6 minutes ago, JackieO said:

The weird thing is I've seen not seen a hedgie round here for years...so I was amazed to see a badger.

You are not likely to be seeing hogs again if you have a badger. I don't know if they eat them all or if some wise up and clear off somewhere else but if you can find a map of badger and hedgehog distribution, you won't find much overlap.

1 hour ago, Option5 said:

When I had a house in Norfolk I was plagued with foxes and neighbours cats shitting in my back garden. Then a badger decided to cut across my garden and made it part of its regular route. No cats or foxes came anywhere near after that.

hmmmm, would badger shit make a good cat deterrent? 

The badgers near me have taken to digging their setts under roads where the soil is sandy, presumably because tarmac makes a nice waterproof roof.

It took the council 18 months to remove one lot and the road had to be closed for the duration as they are a protected species.

Both roads collapsed.

The other smaller set they blocked off before the could enlarge it.

Photo to prove I'm not codding.

20171203_135739s.thumb.jpg.59bd1dc8612cea7f1bac2a9e45830094.jpg