DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One pub closing every 14 hours

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Property prices. Almost everything comes down to property prices. How can you run a pub if the rent or mortgage is more than your takings? Similarly, how can you go to the pub if all your sp

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/british-pub-shut-every-14-22642574 Let's throw up the obvious and use Newham as an example.  50%+ of its pubs have closed.  What else has dropped by 50% dur

My ex very rarely went to pubs because of the smoking. She went for a month when the smoking ban came in then decided it's not her thing. The smoking ban stopped smokers (& their mates), a big los

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Pubs are a bit old fashioned now. the market is not there for end-of-shift boozers for blokes. They have to offer food, and a bit more of a family friendly atmosphere. Also you don't get off a DUA charge for knowing the desk sargeant any more.

I only know one pub I'd still call a pub in my area, all the rest adapted to become the sort of place that attracts those that live on credit, which was always going to be ephemeral, eventually.

Edited by Hopeful
Just now, Hopeful said:

I only know one pub I'd call a pub, all the rest became the sort of place that attracts those that live on credit, which was always going to be ephemeral, eventually.

I only go to a pub when somebody visits, or I visit somebody. It's easier than cooking and washing up.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I only go to a pub when somebody visits, or I visit somebody. It's easier than cooking and washing up.

Haven't been to a pub for 7 or more years. No different an experience to going to McDonalds, don't do that either.

Rarely have visitors though xD

Edited by Hopeful

Yup. Watch what they do, not what they say.

If liebour are saying this, is should simply be read as 'fuck, we still need some of those white working class voters that gave us their vote for the best part of a century before the third world is here in great enough numbers to guarantee us a permanent majority';

I'm sure there will be the promise of some scraps of funding, but the underlying causes will remain the same.

41 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Property prices. Almost everything comes down to property prices.

How can you run a pub if the rent or mortgage is more than your takings?

Similarly, how can you go to the pub if all your spare cash goes on rent (or mortgage?).

The politicians have a choice - let people have a decent life, or keep inflating property prices forever. They've all chosen the inflate property forever option, because they're in it to make themselves rich at the end of the day, whatever else they claim.

That too. Used to be a pub near me (still open) with a lovely big beer garden going down to river. Plenty of space for kids to play. Now thats houses and the beer garden is a miserable slice of bird shit stained concrete overlooking the car park. Pub is still open (occassionally) but isnt particularly nice. Bought by some hippy dippy rich london family who run it more like their living room. Seems to appeal to some of the other hippy dippy london transplants who have colonized the area past decade, other than that, a local free zone however.

1 hour ago, ElKapitan84 said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/british-pub-shut-every-14-22642574

Let's throw up the obvious and use Newham as an example.  50%+ of its pubs have closed.  What else has dropped by 50% during the same time?  Only pasty limeys running for the hills!   White British 2001: 83k.  White British 2020: 47k, at most.

Lucy: "Let's bring Bangladesh and Liberia to UK!".  Also Lucy: "WTF is happening to our UK stuffs?!"

Theres also the price aspect. One pub in a village near me is charging £5 for a pint of IPA because they have a monopoly in the village now (all other pubs shut)

Or go 5 miles to town and spoons charge £1.29 a pint for the same beer. 

1 hour ago, ElKapitan84 said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/british-pub-shut-every-14-22642574

Let's throw up the obvious and use Newham as an example.  50%+ of its pubs have closed.  What else has dropped by 50% during the same time?  Only pasty limeys running for the hills!   White British 2001: 83k.  White British 2020: 47k, at most.

Lucy: "Let's bring Bangladesh and Liberia to UK!".  Also Lucy: "WTF is happening to our UK stuffs?!"

Newham was the worst-affected local authority in the country. The east London borough had 105 pubs in 2001, but now has 45.

Nearby Barking and Dagenham had a similar decline and now has the fewest pubs per head of any local authority in the country – less than one for every 10,000 people.

theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/26/uk-pub-closures-financial-crisis-birmingham-ons-figures

23 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Theres also the price aspect. One pub in a village near me is charging £5 for a pint of IPA because they have a monopoly in the village now (all other pubs shut)

Yes, pubs are dying because they are too expensive. No sympathy from me, if they can't be bothered to get their costs down and compete for people's hard-earned disposable income they deserve to fail.

Does anyone know if the pop-up pubs that were thriving in Kent and other places have survived the Covids? Some are probably too small to allow social distancing. But they seemed to be the way ahead for pubs, basically just like someone's front room, which is what most pubs were like prior to the advent of the brewery-tied 'model pubs' of the 1930s.

38 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Yes, loads of great traditional pubs have opened in the last twenty years and they're called Wetherspoons.

(Ratio IME of about 70:30 Good or okay to scummy)

1 minute ago, Darude said:

Yes, pubs are dying because they are too expensive. No sympathy from me, if they can't be bothered to get their costs down and compete for people's hard-earned disposable income they deserve to fail.

The individual tenanted pubs get arse raped on lease and rent costs, I think the owners are still relying on ex coppers and the like with big retirement funds and zero business experience to take on the leases. Don't know  what spoons are doing to control costs for the premises.

Never fully understood what happened in society in the first decade of this century that put people off pubs so much. It happened in my area which has socially seen less change than most but the pubs have gone from being absolutely rammed especially Friday after work and all weekend late nineties / early 00's to don't know how they stay open. @SNACR mentioned a few weeks back that there was a strong desire in Whitehall at the time to bring euro cafe culture to the UK,  but not sure what actually happened. It's a shame, I miss it - there used to be young and old from all walks of life in those pubs and Friday evenings were a right laugh, but they are barely used now. On the very rare occasions I go in one now there's just one or two boomers with nothing to say.

Never use pubs apart from once a week lunch meals with work colleges and obviously that isn't happening anymore.The price of drinks in a pub is completely taking the piss.

Also lets get real and accept that 99% of all "going out" activities for single blokes are various levels of plausible deniability for chasing skirt and dating sites a tinder have killed all that off.

31 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

The individual tenanted pubs get arse raped on lease and rent costs, I think the owners are still relying on ex coppers and the like with big retirement funds and zero business experience to take on the leases.

The 'rape some mug for their redundancy cheque' business model will itself die out with redundancy settlements being so much less generous for younger people.

My ex very rarely went to pubs because of the smoking. She went for a month when the smoking ban came in then decided it's not her thing. The smoking ban stopped smokers (& their mates), a big loss. Our local working mens club was always packed as beer was cheap - after the smoking ban it closed it's big main bar due to lack of demand.

£10 buys a crate of beer at the supemarket but won't buy 3 pints at my local, hence spoons is packed while others are closing. Chavs, drunk idiots and bland vibe in spoons make it a last resort.

Last year I witnessed a newbie landlord reopening a tied pub that had been closed a while. All went well until the brewery agent tried to screw LL on terms (beers etc), newbie backed away and handed the keys back, pub remained closed. Experienced LL at nearby pub confirmed brewery had tried to take advantage of newbie making it uneconomic to run as a business.

My local pub in Wales closed a couple of times before villagers pooled funds and bought it as a not-for-profit (nil council tax ;) community pub. Prices are OK, villagers take turns behind the bar so staff costs are low (nil?).  Never any trouble and the vibe is lovely!

All rural communities need a hub (pub, corner shop, post office, etc) where folk can have a natter. When the last pub in a rural village closes, the village dies. Sad times.

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

I'm not really that into "going out",  but does traditional pub culture even exist any more..?   Like,  proper working class drinking dens ?

I thought most pubs these days were just pub themed restaurants ?

Oh aye, you just need to know where to find them. Not quite "The Dockers Fists" from Viz, but may I present The Steelmelters Arms.

20200908_122328.jpg

1 hour ago, Caravan Monster said:

Don't know  what spoons are doing to control costs for the premises

All their pubs are freehold and are charged a notional rent based upon the property's cost which feeds into menu prices.

Every year there is a review of the return per pub and the worst performing ones are sold.

Their costs are interest on borrowings (very cheap at present) plus rates and staff.

They are in a very strong beer buying position rather than being a tied house paying brewery top dollar.

It's a great business model.

I have a little bit of industry insight on this, one of the big problems now is that the typical pub landlord is now your new money middle class, they like the idea of sitting on the wrong side of the bar drinking the profits (basically an early retirement), they open as a gastro pub, they're not willing to put the work in, they hire staff, they pay peanuts, they throttle the chef, they use cheap suppliers. In the end they've got a new Bently outside but the pub is slowly dying a death because the food is crap, the staff are unhappy, the customers have all buggered off and they dig themselves deeper and deeper until they're bankrupt.

Edited by Snark