DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Removal of oil stains from leather/ suede head board

Question

Picked up a bed yesterday.  Super nice and seems very good condition apart from these pretty disgusting stains on the head board.  Only one is really noticeable and I assume it's from head hair grease.

A quick Google suggests alochol mixed with detergent, bicarb soda (no surprise), oxi branded cleaner.

Did consider just getting rid of but not sure I like the idea of hard wall behind my head. 

When I collected yesterday I didn't notice that much but setting up last night very noticeable.  I have tried a bit of alcohol spray stuff this morning and heavy brush and doesn't look as bad as yesterday but guessing it's still slightly damp.

It was free so happy to try something more extreme but not particularly wanting to sink money on expensive upholstery cleaner if I can get the same effect from bicarb etc.   Other Google results suggest may be impossible to remove.

Edit - the photo definitely doesn't look bad but like I say could be so still damp - looked much worse before.

15995578072035238186826777040529.jpg

Edited by Dogtania

13 answers to this question

On 08/09/2020 at 16:33, onlyme said:

Wet vacs can work wonders, with materials like that you need to draw the resultant schmoo out from the fabric as much as anything.

Thanks didn't notice a reply.  I'll keep in mind.  I'm thinking of using bicarb of soda mix possibly and lots of sponging but a vac would be better.

All I used was alcohol spray and some brushing doesn't seem as noticeable but if I close the door to the room all day and come back in later there is a whiff of what I would say would be head grease (don't know what that smells like it's not terrible just kind of like familiar smell from somewhere - sorry not being particularly explicit!)

Have to say it's like sleeping on some cloud though, very impressed.

12 hours ago, Dogtania said:

Thanks didn't notice a reply.  I'll keep in mind.  I'm thinking of using bicarb of soda mix possibly and lots of sponging but a vac would be better.

All I used was alcohol spray and some brushing doesn't seem as noticeable but if I close the door to the room all day and come back in later there is a whiff of what I would say would be head grease (don't know what that smells like it's not terrible just kind of like familiar smell from somewhere - sorry not being particularly explicit!)

Have to say it's like sleeping on some cloud though, very impressed.

Bicarb is good for smells (IIRC). if the smell is residing in the material really need a means of drawing out all the dissolved substances with the water - hence the vac recommendation, nothing quite like it, repeated   wash, scrub and sponge out may do the job though - you want to be taking out as much as possible as you go rather than letting it sink in past the fabric into the foam.

13 hours ago, Royston said:

Why don't you lick it off? I imagine the enzymes in your saliva would easily deal with it.

I'm all for frugality but a secondhand headboard with a patch of someones head grease on it? Eurghhh.

Came from someone I know, was apparantly £3.5k when bought and apart from the head board looks new.  I was going to turn down but got persuaded "would be a fool not to".  

Honestly amazing comfort level like cloud riding or something 🙂

On 08/09/2020 at 10:43, Dogtania said:

Picked up a bed yesterday.  Super nice and seems very good condition apart from these pretty disgusting stains on the head board.  Only one is really noticeable and I assume it's from head hair grease.

A quick Google suggests alochol mixed with detergent, bicarb soda (no surprise), oxi branded cleaner.

Did consider just getting rid of but not sure I like the idea of hard wall behind my head. 

When I collected yesterday I didn't notice that much but setting up last night very noticeable.  I have tried a bit of alcohol spray stuff this morning and heavy brush and doesn't look as bad as yesterday but guessing it's still slightly damp.

It was free so happy to try something more extreme but not particularly wanting to sink money on expensive upholstery cleaner if I can get the same effect from bicarb etc.   Other Google results suggest may be impossible to remove.

Edit - the photo definitely doesn't look bad but like I say could be so still damp - looked much worse before.

15995578072035238186826777040529.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000482386432.jpg?w=960

NINTCHDBPICT000482386433.jpg?w=960

NINTCHDBPICT000482386426.jpg?w=960

NINTCHDBPICT000482386427.jpg?w=960

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/8841724/mum-uses-a-1-50-denture-cleaner-to-get-the-stains-out-of-her-suede-dining-room-chairs-in-minutes/

Struggling to get the stains out with standard cleaning products Caroline followed other mums’ leads of using Polident on the fabric.

Caroline combined three of the £1.50 denture cleaning tablets with 600ml of boiling water and sprayed her chairs with the substance.

After five minutes she scrubbed them with a microfibre cloth before rinsing off the residue and leaving them to dry.

Thanks @The Masked Tulip sounds like that podident denture stuff can work amazingly on suede - saw another link with restoration of a sofa looked like night and day the difference.

Wonder if fancy antique buyers know about, will definitely remember and maybe try.  Or Dr Beckams carpet cleaner looks possible to.  

Haven't noticed much if any smell last few days and haven't looked at the stain although probably still there (only gave heavy sprays of rubbing alcohol and buffering with a brush.  The denture stuff looks like it would work will have a check if a similar product available in UK and try in due time.

Pet hate with these articles -another website news with using on sofa- is hearing

A $5 cleaning hack has officially sent the internet into a spin

😭 The internet is like just basically nearly everyone, not some tangible unit. . Like I say pet peeve.  Cheers for the tip.

Edited by Dogtania