DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

How Much Has Theresa Shafted Us?

I thought the withdrawal agreement was contingent on a trade-deal being struck “It’s not agreed until it’s all agreed”.

Now apparently we will be breaking international law if we refuse to implement its terms?

So which is it,  and how deep does the rabbit hole go?   Is there a precedent for countries defying international law and agreements..  I suspect it is one of those cases where you discover other countries do it all the time?

How badly did she f**k us up?

All can easily be solved by stopping buying cars made in the EU, plenty of other countries to pick from and Mr Pin could buy a nice new (sic) Yankee Motor.

Plus it can be mandated that everyone who parks of a street can only own a Japanese K-car, RHD as standard.

Edit:- German Car Co's have 41% of the UK market, the French have 15%.

Edited by Chewing Grass

What has Theresa got to do with anything? The final version of the Withdrawal Agreement was negotiated with the EU and passed by Parliament during Boris' time as PM.

Here's the signature page, note whose name is on it:

%7BEFA1E8FB-F0DE-AC42-A497-83EDFF4BFE17%7D.jpg

https://newsroom.consilium.europa.eu/events/20200124-signature-of-the-uk-withdrawal-agreement-for-the-eu-by-european-council-president-charles-michel-and-european-commission-president-ursula-von-der-leyen

Edited by Darude
28 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

The whole point of sovereignty is that you are not bound by other people’s laws. It is at the very core of the principle of Brexit. If Parliament is sovereign then no other body can legislate over it.  It can not be bound even by itself  ( ie it can unmake it’s own laws and agreements) as it deems fit. There are obviously physical controls on what it can do but no legal ones.

This. Our government needs to grow a pair and tell them to fuck off.  The analogy is someone coming into your house, telling you how you should live. Who in their right mind would not show them the door. 

41 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Treason shafted us by calling an election when she had a majority, just to lose seats and stymie parliament over it. I cannot see how we can blame her for the deal that Boris agreed. Changes were made and he could have done others.

Boris did change the bit about Northern Ireland from May's previous draft deal. She had a backstop which would only have triggered in the event of no trade deal, he turned it into a frontstop i.e. it was already triggered and Northern Ireland would be staying in the single market no matter what happened next. The Northern Ireland bit of the signed Withdrawal Agreement is his own government's handiwork and that appears to be the bit he has a problem with.

2 minutes ago, Darude said:

Boris did change the bit about Northern Ireland from May's previous draft deal. She had a backstop which would only have triggered in the event of no trade deal, he turned it into a frontstop i.e. it was already triggered and Northern Ireland would be staying in the single market no matter what happened next. The Northern Ireland bit of the signed Withdrawal Agreement is his own government's handiwork and that appears to be the bit he has a problem with.

May made the backstop changeable over time...Boris didn't and then made it the front stop..  If you're going to fuck up the UK's reputation around the world, then they're doing well..

Edited by Dave Beans
15 minutes ago, One percent said:

This. Our government needs to grow a pair and tell them to fuck off.  The analogy is someone coming into your house, telling you how you should live. Who in their right mind would not show them the door. 

Quite. International treaties get changed all the time. The Remoaners are just seizing on this 'nobody will trust Britain in negotiations again' nonsense as a last ditch attempt to discredit it.

8 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Quite. International treaties get changed all the time. The Remoaners are just seizing on this 'nobody will trust Britain in negotiations again' nonsense as a last ditch attempt to discredit it.

Its not changing it...Its something that Boris used nine months ago, and fought an election on...as "oven ready"...and now he's looking to break it... If you were a trade negotiator of a country, looking at an FTA with the UK, would you take the UK's word? I'm wondering if Boris actually read the WA..

https://www.trans-lex.org/500600/_/vienna-convention-on-the-law-of-treaties-of-1969/#head_3

Article 26 - Pacta sunt servanda

Every treaty in force is binding upon the parties to it and must be performed by them in good faith.

Edited by Dave Beans
1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

Treason shafted us by calling an election when she had a majority, just to lose seats and stymie parliament over it. I cannot see how we can blame her for the deal that Boris agreed. Changes were made and he could have done others.

38 minutes ago, Darude said:

What has Theresa got to do with anything? The final version of the Withdrawal Agreement was negotiated with the EU and passed by Parliament during Boris' time as PM.

Here's the signature page, note whose name is on it:

My error..  I forgot Boris was the one who actually signed off on it..  even if it was all thrown together under her watch,  doesn't really give him any excuse for pushing it through.   

So how much have Theresa and Boris shafted us?

58 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

The whole point of sovereignty is that you are not bound by other people’s laws.

WRT to Salisbury, saint Theresa, PBUH, introduced the concept of actions traducing "international norms". After that,  sovereignty ceased to have any force, and even international law.

Edited by Nippy

This simply the EU reaction to this

EU will have just 38 days to strike a Brexit deal, warns Boris Johnson

The UK 'cannot compromise on the fundamentals of what it means to be an independent country'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/09/06/eu-will-have-just-38-days-strike-brexit-deal-warns-boris-johnson/

38 days and fuck em ,,,but will he have the bottle 

Edited by Long time lurking
9 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

If you were a trade negotiator of a country, looking at an FTA with the UK, would you take the UK's word? I'm wondering if Boris actually read the WA

That's how I understand it..  it is essentially just an issue of international "street cred".

But given how obviously unreasonable the EU have been,  I wonder if anyone really would judge us that negatively for it?  It's not as if we didn't sign up to it in good faith,  and it isn't as if the EU have tried to give us anything close to a fair trading arrangement..   so all deals are off.  Seems fair..  there's very little to lose.