DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Job Hunting Thread

No One

7 hours ago, Snark said:

Last week I applied for a job, it was basically the exact same job I was just made redundant from, but with another company, I didn't even get contacted by the agency.

The thing is, I know we used to have trouble getting experienced people, they'd been advertising and interviewing on/off for 4 years when I came a long and they snapped me up in no time. So when I apply for a job which is almost exactly the same, and I get nothing, what am I meant to think?
I know my former employer had trouble because agencies kept sending graduates who couldn't do the job, so i'm wondering if it's the same with me and no degree means my CV gets dropped instantly.

I'm thinking of hiding keywords in my CV, I know it's sneaky, but if i'm getting dropped by a machine, then what else can I do? Plus agencies are sneaky cunts anyway, so they deserve it :p

Take your age off if it's on there, you may be getting rejected due to being 'old'.... How old are you? And are you male?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, spunko said:

Take your age off if it's on there, you may be getting rejected due to being 'old'.... How old are you? And are you male?

This is a good point, but it is rather difficult to disguise your age when you list your work history!

3 minutes ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

This is a good point, but it is rather difficult to disguise your age when you list your work history!

Don't show dates just period worked. or something like that I read online once :o

6 minutes ago, spunko said:

Don't show dates just period worked. or something like that I read online once :o

Surely that is a guaranteed CV trip to the bin (I tried it)?!

9 minutes ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

Go back comprehensively 10 years, bullet points to 20 years and then just list workplaces.

With technology anything over 20 years old is irrelevant anyway.

On 13/09/2020 at 22:16, spygirl said:

I dont believe that. Someone is lying.

Even the crappiest electronics degree covers basic logic.

True.. I did a media degree in the early 90's and even we learned how to construct logic circuits out of nothing but NAND gates, how fast-fourier transforms and radio broadcast signals worked etc.  Admittedly it was pretty visionary for a media degree.. they saw the digital transformation happening and whilst non of us were expected to become electronic engineers, were were expected to have some understand something of what went on under the hood so we could do basic trouble shooting.. enough to figure out which box in the studio was causing issues, how to design digital image processing filters and pipelines etc. 

36 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Go back comprehensively 10 years, bullet points to 20 years and then just list workplaces.

The last ten years alone would fuck me completely!

14 minutes ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

The last ten years alone would fuck me completely!

put it down as HMP. Dont elaborate any further though.

53 minutes ago, Option5 said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Structures-Algorithms-Addison-Wesley-Computer-Information/dp/0201000237

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communicating_sequential_processes#:~:text=In computer science%2C communicating sequential,on message passing via channels.

Language syntax is just fluff.

2 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

This doesn't add up. Agencies make money by placing people, if they genuinely had a job that was a perfect match for your CV they would not hand about.

The possible reasons might be:

This job does not in fact exist and is a trawl to get CVs (to mine for sales leads or just to pad out the database so they have more people there when a job does actually materialse).

Your skill set isn't as rare as you think it is and the agency are overwhelmed with applicant who look as good or better than you on paper.

There is something about your CV that is generally off putting (no idea what that might be but from what you have said maybe too much variety of skills).

Fake jobs are a possibility that i'm more than aware of. The problem i've always had with agencies is the degree thing, plus they're not technical, they don't see that a prior history of repairing electronics must mean I can use a soldering iron (for example), thus I might get dropped for not including simple tools in my CV, but I can't do that, my CV would be so long that nobody would bother to read it. Then they look at everything i've done and they don't see "multi-skilled", they see "jack of all trades, master of none", they also assume that experience from 5 years ago is completely out of date.

There is a lot on my CV, but I can't really do much about it.

Most of the time I think I get rejected before a human has even read it.

2 hours ago, spunko said:

I'm 40, male, not old but old enough to be a problem for the sort of manager who likes to employ yes men or scapegoats. Experienced enough to appear to be a threat to any young manager who fluked his way up the ladder.

3 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

This doesn't add up. Agencies make money by placing people, if they genuinely had a job that was a perfect match for your CV they would not hand about.

The possible reasons might be:

This job does not in fact exist and is a trawl to get CVs (to mine for sales leads or just to pad out the database so they have more people there when a job does actually materialse).

Your skill set isn't as rare as you think it is and the agency are overwhelmed with applicant who look as good or better than you on paper.

There is something about your CV that is generally off putting (no idea what that might be but from what you have said maybe too much variety of skills).

No.

Agencies make their money throwing people at job interviews.

Occasionally they get lucky and tye person employed.

Normally recruiter I sacked.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

Fake jobs are a possibility that i'm more than aware of. The problem i've always had with agencies is the degree thing, plus they're not technical, they don't see that a prior history of repairing electronics must mean I can use a soldering iron (for example), thus I might get dropped for not including simple tools in my CV, but I can't do that, my CV would be so long that nobody would bother to read it. Then they look at everything i've done and they don't see "multi-skilled", they see "jack of all trades, master of none", they also assume that experience from 5 years ago is completely out of date.

There is a lot on my CV, but I can't really do much about it.

Most of the time I think I get rejected before a human has even read it.

I'm 40, male, not old but old enough to be a problem for the sort of manager who likes to employ yes men or scapegoats. Experienced enough to appear to be a threat to any young manager who fluked his way up the ladder.

Trim stuff down yo what you so.

There appears to be loads if test n fix coming back from China.

Find a local business directory and look for a company doing low volume high value products with electronics in.

6 hours ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

Not really, just miss off the oldest entries, I've docked about 10 years worth of stuff from the beginning of my career. Shown my college education with no dates. 

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

No.

Agencies make their money throwing people at job interviews.

Spy, please fuck off with replying with a rude "no" and then preceding to taking bollocks. Thanks.

6 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Spy, please fuck off with replying with a rude "no" and then preceding to taking bollocks. Thanks.

Yes.

Thats how agencies work. Wave after wave after wave of unsuitable interviewee, no matter how well youve specced the role.

13 hours ago, spunko said:

I am not sure but we must have an HR bod on here somewhere....

If we have, I doubt she would be brave enough to admit it.

Well, I’m not HR, but I’ve recruited a fair amount for a corporate.  IT not engineering and agency mostly, very rarely permanent. 

Not having a degree, is going you to hurt you.  If HR insists on it and they mostly do, then agencies just aren’t going to send in a cv that doesn’t have one. It’s not getting past the auto review and unlikely a human is looking at it.

Age, can be as issue.  Remove any obvious reference too it, but don’t butcher your CV because of it.  By the time I get CV’s they’re anonymised, no name/age/gender.  But a certain degree from a certain college 20 years ago kind of gives to game away.  So there are always ways telling who someone is.  

Also a lot of agencies have agreements to act as sole agents for large corporates.  Any other agency will need to go through them to get a contact.  Try to find out who they are for your industry.  It may be better to contact them directly, saying you’re looking for a job at xzy company, do they have anything with your skill set.  

Big thing near me is that the local authority restricted parking spaces on all new office developments to 1 space per every three occupants of the building and public transport is completely nonsensical and inconvenient.

Being local would be a plus especially if you don't need a parking space to seal a deal as it keeps a space free for that person they need who does.

sleepwello'nights
11 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Big thing near me is that the local authority restricted parking spaces on all new office developments to 1 space per every three occupants of the building and public transport is completely nonsensical and inconvenient.

Being local would be a plus especially if you don't need a parking space to seal a deal as it keeps a space free for that person they need who does.

A local company advertised for a handyman.

One chap came along for the interview.

Q. how are you basic carpentry skills, A.  non existent.

Q.  electrical wiring, A. not a clue.

Q. decorating  A. appalling

Q. Minor repairs A. hopeless

Why have you come for a job as a handyman. 

I live just round the corner. 

Archived