DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Job Hunting Thread

No One

30 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

A local company advertised for a handyman.

One chap came along for the interview.

Q. how are you basic carpentry skills, A.  non existent.

Q.  electrical wiring, A. not a clue.

Q. decorating  A. appalling

Q. Minor repairs A. hopeless

Why have you come for a job as a handyman. 

I live just round the corner. 

was his name Andy?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 08/09/2020 at 20:32, Snark said:

I have problems with agencies that reject me for jobs I can do with my eyes closed, just because I don't have a degree 

You could consider lying, only people who check are where this some legal or regulatory compliance issue requiring a background such as a banks or a government agency.

I've never had to show my diploma/certificates or anything else to support claims about my education.

Granted, my first two jobs happened when I was still at Uni and then I got headhunted for the next one, but even for my first job in UK, when I had to apply for crica 30 positions through 4 agencies and go to interviews at 10 different companies, no-one ever asked me to prove my degree.

I don't quite understand why people rejected due to lack of degree wouldn't simply make one up. People often pimp up their skills and get easily exposed during the interview or in probation period, yet seem reluctant to improve one section of their CV that will help them clear the most important hurdle with much lesser risk of getting busted. Is there any criminal responsibility in an unlikely event of getting caught?

1 hour ago, kibuc said:

I've never had to show my diploma/certificates or anything else to support claims about my education.

Granted, my first two jobs happened when I was still at Uni and then I got headhunted for the next one, but even for my first job in UK, when I had to apply for crica 30 positions through 4 agencies and go to interviews at 10 different companies, no-one ever asked me to prove my degree.

I don't quite understand why people rejected due to lack of degree wouldn't simply make one up. People often pimp up their skills and get easily exposed during the interview or in probation period, yet seem reluctant to improve one section of their CV that will help them clear the most important hurdle with much lesser risk of getting busted. Is there any criminal responsibility in an unlikely event of getting caught?

Of the 100 or so people i've had working for me over the last 20 odd years i've never once seen a degree certificate.  
All but 2 claimed to have one.  

3 hours ago, kibuc said:

You’ll get sacked. That’s all.

Years ago the company I worked for hired a contractor. On his CV he stated that he was a qualified accountant. We didn’t hire him for having said qualification but for his experience. He was very competent and did a good job. Then after about 6 months HR suddenly decided to do some background checks and realised he wasn’t qualified. They terminated his contract with immediate effect. That was it. 

Although, having read this thread maybe he felt he needed to lie about it to simply have recruiters put him forward for jobs.

hahaha, i remember years ago having to sign a document at a new job, well, me and some aussie bloke, basically saying that if they found out we had lied on our cvs then they could sack us straight away, the aussie because the company he said he'd worked for didnt exist (went bankrupt back in australia), me because two of my referees were actually dead, hahah, thats how long ago it was, yes referees. I didnt even know they were gonners, so obviously they had done some checking, but anyway, job was shit, left after a year, same with the aussie, fact i think he left after 8 month.

On 16/09/2020 at 09:58, sleepwello'nights said:

A local company advertised for a handyman.

One chap came along for the interview.

Q. how are you basic carpentry skills, A.  non existent.

Q.  electrical wiring, A. not a clue.

Q. decorating  A. appalling

Q. Minor repairs A. hopeless

Why have you come for a job as a handyman. 

I live just round the corner. 

I like his style

The social cost of this ongoing Ponzi scheme jsut gets more and more derpessing,especailly when you consider the student debts they've been misssold.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/09/16/pew-majority-of-young-americans-live-with-parents-for-first-time-since-great-depression/

A recent poll by the Pew Research Center revealed that a majority of young Americans are living with their parents for the first time since the Great Depression. As of July, approximately 52 percent of young Americans between the ages of 18 and 29 lived with their parents. The number of young adults living with their parents has spiked by 2.6 million since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic.

“The number living with parents grew to 26.6 million, an increase of 2.6 million from February. The number and share of young adults living with their parents grew across the board for all major racial and ethnic groups, men and women, and metropolitan and rural residents, as well as in all four main census regions,” the report reads. “Growth was sharpest for the youngest adults (ages 18 to 24) and for White young adults.”

On 16/09/2020 at 10:53, goldbug9999 said:

You could consider lying, only people who check are where this some legal or regulatory compliance issue requiring a background such as a banks or a government agency.

I've shoehorned the word "degree" into my CV, so we'll see what happens.
It's about ticking boxes, and if the agencies ATS system (applicant tracking system) is looking for a degree because someone put it down as a requirement, then said system will drop you like a hot spud, regardless of your experience level.

Also going to start uploading my CV in .DOC format, because i've heard that older ATS systems cannot read pdf and will simply reject any applicant sending a pdf, without a human ever knowing what's happened.
I converted to PDF years ago to stop people editing my CV and to prevent formatting issues with different versions of Word.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

I've shoehorned the word "degree" into my CV, so we'll see what happens.
It's about ticking boxes, and if the agencies ATS system (applicant tracking system) is looking for a degree because someone put it down as a requirement, then said system will drop you like a hot spud, regardless of your experience level.

Also going to start uploading my CV in .DOC format, because i've heard that older ATS systems cannot read pdf and will simply reject any applicant sending a pdf, without a human ever knowing what's happened.
I converted to PDF years ago to stop people editing my CV and to prevent formatting issues with different versions of Word.

i knew a guy lastname coleman, this was donkeys years ago, we worked at same place, at the time 'OLE' was the latest software fad doing the CV rounds, he was looking for a new job so his CV was circulating agencies, can you guess what happened......

On 16/09/2020 at 17:34, kibuc said:

Yeah I have a degree but never have had to produce it. Nowadays experience is key.

I have 1 interview next week and got recruiter from an OEM contact me out of the blue 

o.0

14 hours ago, No One said:

Yeah I have a degree but never have had to produce it. Nowadays experience is key.

I have 1 interview next week and got recruiter from an OEM contact me out of the blue 

o.0

Having a degree gets you your fist few jobs.

After 5-10 years its then down to what youve done with that degree.

A degree is a start not and ending.

I always suggest you are going to have a few jobs in your first 5-10 years.

On 17/09/2020 at 21:38, leonardratso said:

i knew a guy lastname coleman, this was donkeys years ago, we worked at same place, at the time 'OLE' was the latest software fad doing the CV rounds, he was looking for a new job so his CV was circulating agencies, can you guess what happened......

A reverse Scunthorpe effect.

• 1 year later...

Bump!

Last weekend I applied for a job at a financial services company. They emailed me a couple of days later saying I was unsuccessful as my skill set wasn't to their level for the post. Fair enough.

Odd thing is that there were at least 30 job openings advertised. I had a look again while on a break at work a few days ago and there were still around 30 openings. Another one with a lower skill set piqued my interest and I thought I'd apply.

Went to the careers section of the website to apply for it a few minutes ago. I could no longer find it, never mind the other other job openings. I see the message "0 roles across 10 locations".

I wonder if this business has enforced a recruitment freeze over the past few days? :/

PatronizingGit
3 hours ago, UmBongo said:

Bump!

Last weekend I applied for a job at a financial services company. They emailed me a couple of days later saying I was unsuccessful as my skill set wasn't to their level for the post. Fair enough.

Odd thing is that there were at least 30 job openings advertised. I had a look again while on a break at work a few days ago and there were still around 30 openings. Another one with a lower skill set piqued my interest and I thought I'd apply.

Went to the careers section of the website to apply for it a few minutes ago. I could no longer find it, never mind the other other job openings. I see the message "0 roles across 10 locations".

I wonder if this business has enforced a recruitment freeze over the past few days? :/

Expect a bus load of jabbering Indians to turn up next week :D

They couldnt find anyone locally where I was last autumn. Upped the pay rate 20%, lots of locals in for a few weeks. Then the contract ended (expected, its a business with seasonal peaks/troughs) now another contract has started, with a different 'shift pattern' & wages below where they were before the 20% pay increase.

Oh, and the locals are gone & a shitload of Indians have arrived. 

But immigrants don't drive down wages. Oh no. 

Ah, seems like most of the jobs have reappeared now. It was probably IT doing some site maintenance over the weekend. o.O

Archived