DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

How come dosbods is the only website I can load?

Changes have been made to my internet this week (not by me). I get BT Fibre boosted across from another property to my BT receiver and it had always been reliable. An "expert" has re-configured it this week so it boosts to more cottages. Now most of the time, this is the only website that loads. It's nothing to do with my laptop because if I tether internet from my mobile data all sites load OK. What has the "expert" stuffed up? Is it something to do with the DNS settings. Why is dosdods loading? 

Just now, Democorruptcy said:

Changes have been made to my internet this week (not by me). I get BT Fibre boosted across from another property to my BT receiver and it had always been reliable. An "expert" has re-configured it this week so it boosts to more cottages. Now most of the time, this is the only website that loads. It's nothing to do with my laptop because if I tether internet from my mobile data all sites load OK. What has the "expert" stuffed up? Is it something to do with the DNS settings. Why is dosdods loading? 

I’m sure our computer geeks can help with this.

3 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

It’s the only website that’s worth reading. I’m not really getting the problem here.  o.O

1 minute ago, Melchett said:

Because everything else is an illusion, a fabrication that the aliens are just feeding you to keep you believing, but there’s been a glitch in the matrix....

You’ve just been watching too much Hollywood crap. Although I’m becoming more convinced that we actually might be living in the matrix.  o.O

2 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

I'm sure I once saw you post a link from another website.

Only to the legacy media or ToS to demonstrate how out of touch with reality they are.  o.O

2 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

It could be a load of things. Without knowing what the person did it is difficult to work out. Was the 'expert' a BT guy or just a bloke fiddling?

Did he put in a new BT hub (router)? The newer BT one has known DNS issues with numerous posts on BT forums of people complaining that they suddenly can only conect to certain websites.

Has it been configured correctly?

Has a second booster wi fi device been installed somewhere to boost the signal? Has it been configured correctly? Can you see a new wi fi device in your Windows internet wi fi settings? Can you connect to it?

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

It could be a load of things. Without knowing what the person did it is difficult to work out. Was the 'expert' a BT guy or just a bloke fiddling?

Did he put in a new BT hub (router)? The newer BT one has known DNS issues with numerous posts on BT forums of people complaining that they suddenly can only conect to certain websites.

Has it been configured correctly?

Has a second booster wi fi device been installed somewhere to boost the signal? Has it been configured correctly? Can you see a new wi fi device in your Windows internet wi fi settings? Can you connect to it?

He's a fiddler not a BT guy.

I'm assuming the BT Hub is the original that came last year. There could be a new booster that sends the signal from that. My round black BT receiver is the same. I cannot see anything new to connect to. It's worked occasionally and I'm wondering if when someone else connects I'm then blocked or it's something to do with the DNS settings.

4 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

He's a fiddler not a BT guy.

I'm assuming the BT Hub is the original that came last year. There could be a new booster that sends the signal from that. My round black BT receiver is the same. I cannot see anything new to connect to. It's worked occasionally and I'm wondering if when someone else connects I'm then blocked or it's something to do with the DNS settings.

It is possible that he changed the router from 5 GHz to 2.4Ghz - which is more susceptible to interference from things like power lines, microwave cameras, cordless phones, etc - and that is now resulting in interference which is causing connection issues. I had the same problem on my ADSL router constantly dropping connection but I solved that by turning off 2.5GHz.

5GHz deliver a stronger signal but as shorter distances.

However, none of the above would give a situation where you can only connect to DOSBODs but nothing else.

How about trying this?

1. Turn your BT wifi disc receiver off, leave it off for several minutes, then turn it back on? Let us know what happens then?

2. Whilst the receiver is switched off go to the Search/Run box which should be on your taskbar - it usually has a magnifying glass as a symbol - and type the following into it.

ipconfig /flushdns   (there is a space after ipconfig)

Hit Return or Enter. You should, very quickly, see a box prompt appear, lots of words whizz by and the box disappear. If so, you have cleaned out your DNS. Switch the BT receiver back on.

51 minutes ago, One percent said:

Only to the legacy media or ToS to demonstrate how out of touch with reality they are.  o.O

Prompted me to take a look..  wow..  that's some serious tumble weed they've got growing there now.

The main forum is a bit more lively still (if you can beat a path through all the ads),  but I find it an odd dichotomy how they appear to be lamenting Brexit while simultaneously celebrating the housing crash they hope it will spark.  Strange times..

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

Prompted me to take a look..  wow..  that's some serious tumble weed they've got growing there now.

The main forum is a bit more lively still (if you can beat a path through all the ads),  but I find it an odd dichotomy how they appear to be lamenting Brexit while simultaneously celebrating the housing crash they hope it will spark.  Strange times..

I think @spygirl actually still posts over there. o.O  each to their own I guess.  

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

How about trying this?

1. Turn your BT wifi disc receiver off, leave it off for several minutes, then turn it back on? Let us know what happens then?

2. Whilst the receiver is switched off go to the Search/Run box which should be on your taskbar - it usually has a magnifying glass as a symbol - and type the following into it.

ipconfig /flushdns   (there is a space after ipconfig)

Hit Return or Enter. You should, very quickly, see a box prompt appear, lots of words whizz by and the box disappear. If so, you have cleaned out your DNS. Switch the BT receiver back on.

I think you might have only gone and sorted it :)

Usually my first answer to computer problems is to switch stuff off/on but it never occurred to me with the BT receiver. I just had it in mind the problem must be at the sending end.

Cheers TMT!

9 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

I think you might have only gone and sorted it :)

Usually my first answer to computer problems is to switch stuff off/on but it never occurred to me with the BT receiver. I just had it in mind the problem must be at the sending end.

Cheers TMT!

Sounds like an duplicate IP address allocation issue, restarting it will have changed the IP address if that's the case.

8 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Sounds like an duplicate IP address allocation issue, restarting it will have changed the IP address if that's the case.

Yesterday I heard the "expert" say he was using static IP addresses.

The BT fibre isn't working at all and my mobile data used to be fast on my laptop when tethered but it's very slow now. Seems like flushingdns has buggered the internet as far as my laptop is concerned.

43 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Yesterday I heard the "expert" say he was using static IP addresses.

The BT fibre isn't working at all and my mobile data used to be fast on my laptop when tethered but it's very slow now. Seems like flushingdns has buggered the internet as far as my laptop is concerned.

Flushdns will not have harmed your laptop. 

Your mobile internet is separate to the BT fibre one so it is an amazing coincidence that both are not working.

Someone faffed around with the BT router yesterday, at which point your problems started. So you need to find out what was done.

Now you mention he allocated static IP addresses. What else did he say? 

4 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Flushdns will not have harmed your laptop. 

Your mobile internet is separate to the BT fibre one so it is an amazing coincidence that both are not working.

Someone faffed around with the BT router yesterday, at which point your problems started. So you need to find out what was done.

Now you mention he allocated static IP addresses. What else did he say? 

He didn't say anything to me I just overheard the static IP address bit. I think the plan was to make things more secure. The BT Fibre goes into the owner's house then serves 4 cottages. I think the "expert" has persuaded the owner he could have his data compromised by people visiting the cottages. It's safe now because it's difficult to use. Though this is on the fibre and OK, 5 mins ago it wouldn't work. I think I might be OK when next door isn't using it and wonder if we both have the same static IP address.

Here is a list of UK DNS servers. You can try them but it probably will make no difference. The issue is whatever the 'expert' did on the router. He changed something.  

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/uk-isp-dns-server-settings

Let's work the problem.

After the expert did his thing did you have to change or do anything - join a different router name, put in a new password, anything?

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Here is a list of UK DNS servers. You can try them but it probably will make no difference. The issue is whatever the 'expert' did on the router. He changed something.  

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/uk-isp-dns-server-settings

Let's work the problem.

After the expert did his thing did you have to change or do anything - join a different router name, put in a new password, anything?

I didn't have to do anything yesterday but this morning when I couldn't load a site, I was told to log off the network, forget it and then input the password as if for the first time. It made no difference. I've spoken to someone in another cottage and it was just as flakey for them earlier today. At the moment it's fine but my next door neighbour is out at the moment and I'm not convinced we can both use the wifi at the same time.

BT Home Hubs do have a reset to factory settings option. This would reverse whatever changes the "expert" made.

Type 192.168.1.254 into your browser to talk to the router, and you'll find the relevant page in the "Advanced Settings" menu.

image.png.d5b036a06f86dac1f375b9ab1e19b60a.png

TOP TIP: Back up the current settings to a file before you do the factory reset...

image.png.e91b6683c7a48f5faeffe412b40f7b70.png

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man