DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Universities charging full fees for online learning

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Might as well be closed, daughter is fuming, access to library is on booking system and limited to stupidly small number of hours a week - means no access to the computing section with all the program

University courses should be covered under consumer law as they are selling a product/service, I fully expect this to be a major business opportunity (it should be) for some knowledgeable law-graduate

People accuse me of showing off a bit when I put BSC after my name but I fucking earned that bronze swimming certificate

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Perhaps universities should think for themselves.

Or perhaps they aren't capable of doing that. Which is worrying, but not surprising.

University courses should be covered under consumer law as they are selling a product/service, I fully expect this to be a major business opportunity (it should be) for some knowledgeable law-graduates to get their teeth into via crowd-funding.

Students should be engaging with them to get their money back if they are not happy.

Online learning and university teaching are two terms that do not sit comfortably together.  They are on the whole, beyond shit at it. 

mind, in defence of universities, teachers (well good ones) do actually make a difference. There is also the unquestionable support of learning with and through others.  If learning in isolation was so effective, it would have been adopted years ago. It hasn’t been, despite shed loads, and i really mean shedloads of money being spent on attempting to find this holy grail.  

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

If learning in isolation was so effective, it would have been adopted years ago. It hasn’t been, despite shed loads, and i really mean shedloads of money being spent on attempting to find this holy grail.  

The Open University - is it still staggering along?

Just now, Wight Flight said:

If working on your own was so effective, why does every literary detective have a sidekick?

Well, it’s not in the real world is it. In reality, morse would be bound in red tape, be given a massive grilling at his yearly appraisal, work with a bunch of back stabbing cunts and be buried under a mountain of paperwork.  

2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

The Open University - is it still staggering along?

Yes but their pass rates are beyond dire even though their material is very, very good. 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Well, it’s not in the real world is it. In reality, morse would be bound in red tape, be given a massive grilling at his yearly appraisal, work with a bunch of back stabbing cunts and be buried under a mountain of paperwork.  

True.

But having been watching old episodes all week, at least it seems he didn't have diversity issues to deal with.

Hideously white.

15 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yes but their pass rates are beyond dire even though their material is very, very good. 

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/best-universities-uk

About two thirds down...Not bad, seeing as a lot of students work full time as well doing a degree...especially when a supposed 25 hours a week can turn into 40.. 

Edited by Dave Beans
7 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/best-universities-uk

About two thirds down...Not bad, seeing as a lot of students work full time as well doing a degree...especially when a supposed 25 hours a week can turn into 40.. 

Depends how you are measuring “best”. I’m not knocking them but their success rates are poor.  

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Depends how you are measuring “best”. I’m not knocking them but their success rates are poor.  

If you're trying to tie in a 40 hour a week job, potentially child care / caring responsibilities, family time as well as 25 hours+ a week study time (for six years), it can be tough going...You have to be incredibly focused..

Edited by Dave Beans
Just now, Dave Beans said:

If you're trying to tie in a 40 hour a week job, potentially child care / caring responsibilities, family time as well as 25 hours a week study time, it can be tough going...You have to be incredibly focused..

I did my under graduate, masters and doctorate whilst holding down a job and raising two kids. I know how hard it is.  o.O  would I do it again?  Probably no.   I did it all part time attending though. Doing it on my own and I would have never completed. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I did my under graduate, masters and doctorate whilst holding down a job and raising two kids. I know how hard it is.  o.O  would I do it again?  Probably no.   I did it all part time attending though. Doing it on my own and I would have never completed. 

I finished my OU degree two years ago...I missed many day schools as my work hours clashed.  You have to have laser focus..

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Remind us again what subject you qualified in?

1 minute ago, Dave Beans said:

I finished my OU degree two years ago...I missed many day schools as my work hours clashed.  You have to have laser focus..

Bloody well done. That really is an achievement. It’s so hard studying on top of life. Doing it on your own takes Some tenacity. 

Just now, Wight Flight said:

Remind us again what subject you qualified in?

Fuck all.  o.O

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

that is impressive, can I ask what area? 

If it where my kids I would advise them to take the year out 

7 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

If you're trying to tie in a 40 hour a week job, potentially child care / caring responsibilities, family time as well as 25 hours+ a week study time (for six years), it can be tough going...You have to be incredibly focused..

Yes, that's a professional exams level of commitment.